Need help with Nikon FE

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by MFstooges, Nov 14, 2011.

1. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, I just got a beat up FE that I planned to use for long exposure photography. I replaced the battery with one 6V cell from my FM2n and all speed sounds normal. Meter needle seems to work but I haven;t check the accuracy yet. Problem is the shutter needle indicator shows shutter speed that is 2 slower than what indicates on the dial. Is this a common problem? Anybody knows if this is an easy fix?

2. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exposure compensation left on?

3. Aja B

Aja B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd imagine that your inharmonious shttr spd dial and/or v'finder indicator have a problem. Regardless of exposure compensation, the indicated speeds of the dial and v'finder ought to be the same. Only the metering needle is affected by exp comp. Perhaps it's possible to work around it but I would suggest having it checked-out by a repair shop. Other problems may surface during the course of a top-to-bottom examination. And they're best discovered while in the shop. Incidentally, the camera requires a total of 3 volts via two 1.5V batteries or one 3V but that should have no bearing on your problem as the link between the two (v'finder reading and shttr spd dial) is mechanical.

4. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The FE has 2 modes of operation: Manual and Automatic.

If the Shutter Speed Dial is pointed at "A" then you are in the Auto mode, otherwise you are in Manual mode.

If you are in Manual mode and the meter needle is pointing to a value different then shown on the Shutter Speed Dial then move the shutter speed dial until the values match (as close as you can) and shoot.

If you are in Auto mode ("A") then the shutter speed will be adjusted automatically to that shown by the meter needle when you shoot.

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OP... Which shutter needle are you referring to: the green one, or the black one? To expand on what BobD said... in Manual you make the green and black needles overlap.

6. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Brian,
    It's the green one. Exp compensation is at '0' and has no effect to the green needle.

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The green needle is coupled with the dial via strings I think. It would be difficult to fix I would imagine.

8. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually its not that difficult if I recall. I have an FE apart somewhere, I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

9. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hope you can find it. I am thinking of DIY repair since sending it to a shop will cost more than buying another.

10. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No threads, the meter and shutter indicator speed indicator are one unit, it could have jumped a tooth on the gear train,there is a segment on the very bottom and a white plastic gear toward the top of the assembly.

Turn the shutter speed dial all the way CCW it should indicate "B" in the view finder.

f9b357544f4aefde8ad93c8392644ae98ac318d.jpg

4313596b41acef388bfd35cd99a841727447b5d.jpg

11. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The upstream poster is perhaps thinking about Minolta SRT series cameras that did use ropes and pulleys in their meters.

12. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well there is one string for the aperture setting, it goes from the coupling ring over to the dreaded FRE under the film speed dial.

13. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My bad! I know that the FM couple the shutter speed dial to the shutter via string but then the FE being electronic it doesn't have to.

14. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I almost forgot too. I knew there was a string in there somewhere.

15. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for the picture. I assume it may jumped 2 teeth since it is off by 2 stops.
    Can I access this unit just by opening the top cover? I don't want to mess around with left hand dial and the fragile FRE underneath it.

16. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes

17. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all for the replies. Just an update, I finally had to let go this nice little gem since I found the base of the shutter speed dial slightly concave. It explains why the green needle and speed dial don't match (I don't think normal use will cause this). Might be dropped and landed on the dial. My concern is also about the FRE condition after such impact.

18. drumlin

drumlin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an FRE??

19. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Functional Resistance Element.

20. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    its also know as "Freakin Really Expensive"

21. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi All,
    I'm back with another FE. I'm trying to open the top plate/cover and no problem on right side but can't figure out how to lift the left side. It seems stuck to the ISO dial mechanism.

iso dial.jpg

Here's the picture of the dial. There were two small bolts that I took out from the ring near the hollow shaft and still I can't lift the cover.

22. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh I finally figured out, the small thing that looks like pin is actually a bolt too. Now I can get the top cover off. Let's see if cleaning up all those dirt can bring all shutter speeds back.

IMG02246-20111216-0036.jpg

23. kivis

kivis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    6529223453_41217e307a_z.jpg