Need suggestion on 35mm film camera

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Favre421, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Favre421

Favre421 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi All I'm new to this site looks like lots of info here. So here is my question. I own a Minolta Maxxum 5xi and am thinking about purchasing a Minolta X700 what are your opnions on this camera? I'm looking for a very good all purpose camera wheather it be the x700 or any other camera I want lots of functions as I know how to use all of them, been in photography on and off for 25 + years.

Thanks in advance for your help Dan

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Dan,

If you know how to use them all, why don't you just stick with manual and cut out the middle man?

Cheers,

Roger

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    F6 and all the glass you can afford.

4. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I own the X700 and it's a fine camera, very relaiable. Some might find the X500 a better option. More viewfinder information, but no program-mode.

Jaap jan

5. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mmm...F6. Someday....

6. Favre421

Favre421 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I checked the price on the F6 YIKES no hunting/fishing trips and no NASCAR race LOL. Looks like a wonderful camera but my budget wont allow it or I should say my spouse wont allow it. I'm looking for an older camera in abt the 250.00 range with some lenses. Thats why I was looking at the X700 unless someone can suggest something better in my price range. I do like my maxxum but I really enjoy being able to control everything if I want. I've taken some pretty cool photo's using all manual mode on my XG1, double exposures and some photo's look better out of focus kind of adds a soft tone to them.

7. CraigH

CraigH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suggest to go all manual & get an early SR-t 102 with mirror lockup or get an XK.

Craig

8. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You already have the 5xi and I am assuming you have some good glass for that camera. What about a Maxxum 7 or Maxxum 9? You can have great metering, bracketing, AE, and still manually focus the camera. The 9 is out of range, but a good Maxxum 7 would fit the bill. It is a great camera.

9. Shypii90

Shypii90 Guest

I recently bought an X700 and I can tell you I love the camera! It's fantastic :smile:
    Really worth the money it's selling for these days, and the results I'm getting are lovely (just make sure you develop your film at a good photo lab though because at 1-hour drugstore labs you get disappointing prints which have several flaws on the paper itself and not carried forward from the negative).

Glad I could share my experience.
    Shawn

10. Favre421

Favre421 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Tnx every1 for all the great info, I'm kinda torn btween the x700 and the x570. There's a very gd deal on an x700 with lenses with a 1 yr guarentee on e-bay within my price range, but am still thinking about it.

11. Favre421

Favre421 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After watching the prices of the x-700 go up on e-bay I found a camera that meets my needs. I bought a Maxxum 5 date with a zoom lens for 180.00. The x700's I was watching were going for well over 200.00.

12. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    First, how much glass do you have for the Maxxum cameras? If not a lot, then no big deal. If you do have a lot invested there, then check out a Maxxum 7 or Maxxum 9. I've owned several of each - about as good as it gets for modern AF, 35mm shooting - only the Nikon F6 comes close to beating those cameras in my mind.
    If you want a full manual focus type setup (which I have recently switched back to because I love the Rokkor prime lenses on an XD body...)
    Look at an XD-11 (called XD-7 or just plain XD in non-USA markets).
    Check out Antony Hands' great site at www.rokkorfiles.com - look at his camera pages.
    The X-700 and X-570 are plenty good - I've owned multiple copies of each, but the XD-11 is in a different class of solid, metal body and wonderful feel.
    Jed

13. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just picked up an XD-11 from my father-in-law. Very nice camera.