Need suggestions for protecting focusing screen on RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Graham_Martin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently cracked my focusing screen by not having it properly protected while in my camera bag. I had removed the prism in order for the camera to fit in my bag. That left the screen unprotected which resulted in it getting cracked. I have looked to see if there is any accessory to protect it but have found nothing. Other than putting some padding over it, I'm not sure what else I can do.

2. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    How about a throw-away waist-level finder, or some part thereof?

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too would suggest a waist level finder.

But Mamiya did make covers.

4. dorff

dorff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Graham, pity about your misfortune. I have an RZ, on which I put the WLF when in the bag. If I need the prism finder, I make sure to put the WLF back on when stowing it. There were covers made, but it may be that a cheaper option is simply to get a bag that the camera fits in. WLFs are easy to find and inexpensive, though. Focus screens should also still be relatively easy to find. If you can't find a focus screen, you may consider buying a body for spares. I see such deals coming up often, and they will typically go for the same as one or two useful spares.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DIY a cover that is locked in the finder fixture on the body. Maybe it makes sense to use parts from a junk finder.

6. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can pick up a WLF on KEH for pretty cheap if you watch the listings. There is one there right now for $33.

7. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A Waist Level Finder is a great idea, it stows away like a cover, is cheap AND... you have another view finder option instead of just a cover.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Logically, get a bigger bag that will take the camera with the prism fitted.