Need tip on DIY pinhole tripod mount

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by elmariachi, Mar 11, 2011.

1. elmariachi

elmariachi Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm designing my first 135 pinhole camera and I want it to have a tripod mount, but english is not my first language and I don't know how to look for that particular piece (I'm thinking about the metal chrome-colored ones). Any tips? If anyone has a better option in terms of both usability and/or price I would like to hear it too :D

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your English is better than many British students I've taught, you've used the best possible description :D

Have a look at this thread.

I need to buy something similar myself to finish a camera restoration.

Ian

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use style "c" in the photo, 1/4" length (shortest made) so I dont have a hole completely into my cameras. I also counter-bore a shallow area for the flange so it sits flush with the camera body. I dont use screws to attach through the flange holes, I epoxy them in place, allowing the epoxy to squeeze through the holes, then sand flat after curing.

4. elmariachi

elmariachi Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you Ian, that's exactly what I was looking for! I didn't think about these T-nuts, I thought people were using some kind of specialized adapter. That not being the case, this is going to be really cheapo :cool:

Style A seems to be what I was looking for: drill a hole (the camera's enclosure will be made of mdf/plywood, I haven't decided yet), hammer the T-nut down to create the corresponding fissures, half-fill them with epoxy and finally insert the nut. What do you think?

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I'd go for "C" like Rick suggests but then I'm not using MDF and have a greater weight involved with my camera. "A" is probably fine for your use.

Ian

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cameras are mahogany, and very light of weight. I use a pair of them, one for horizontal and one for vertical.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ummm, I have some of the specialized photographic tripod mount nuts available.

They're $39.95 each. ; )

8. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 4x5 pinhole camera is made of strawboard (similar to MDF, but made of compressed Canadian straw). I use a 1/4-20 T-nut with a counterbore for the flange inside the box. I also discovered that a US penny slips perfectly into the required 3/4 inch counterbore on top of the T-nut flange to stop light leaking through the T-nut thread hole. Cheap, effective, removable if needed.

Lee

9. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very clever Lee.

10. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another method : http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/forum/Blah.pl?m-1207073636/

But I used the C revision of the link Ian posted with my wooden 4x5 and smaller cameras. For the larger 8x10 I make them like the F295 link i posted but use a 3/8inch mount which screws directly into tripod without the head. Just a bit more solid