Need to develop

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by DavidS, Jul 12, 2005.

1. DavidS

DavidS <div class="smallfont"><strong><em><font color="44

I've shot dozens of photos in the past two weeks and I'd like to meet up with a photographer in the NYC or LI area to help me develop my photos.

2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Barring that, read a book!

3. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems this wasn't received very well...play nice fellas..

I suggest you purchase the basic equipment to do a few rolls, keep it simple and just learn by doing. It may seem a bit intimidating at first, but when the first good batch comes out there is nothing like it..very rewarding.

Stop in a good supply place (B&H or others in New York), tell them you're new to developing and have them help you select what you need...ask for a few pointers until their patience wears, then give it a shot!
    Good luck.

4. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And take plenty of notes. The best way to learn is doing it yourself, taking notes and learning from your own mistakes. The shops are often happy to help as blaze-on suggested. Practice on some test rolls first though. And practice loading reels a few times first before attempting the real thing, takes a little getting used to.
    Good luck.

5. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  6. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I live in Hicksvile out on Long Island. If you want to come out some time we can do a few rolls tp show you how to get started and what you need. I have D-76 and Rodinal developers so most films should be covered.

7. mark

mark Member

It is not hard to process your film on your own. Many of us learned this way. Don't do anything fancy, use D76 and patterson easy load rolls. Read the instructions that can be found all over the net. Waste a roll of film, unused preferably, and practice loading the roll in the day light on the reel. Having some one show you is not much different than reading instructions and looking at pictures. If you have any questions after the first roll ask here. It can be intimidating at first but after the first time it is second nature and you want to do it again and again.

Lee, Jorge, and Jim

There is an ignore button if this guy bugs you put him on the ignore list.

8. DavidS

DavidS <div class="smallfont"><strong><em><font color="44

Hey, thanks, Mark, I'm going to try it this weekend and see what I can come up with.

9. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll add that there are lots of Web sites with instructions for beginners. Here are a few I've got bookmarked:

Of course, there are also books on the subject -- check your local library or book store.

Note that there are differences in procedure details, timing, etc., from one source to another. Don't get hung up on these differences -- pick a procedure and use it. As you learn more, you may decide to change some aspect of your procedure. One exception to my "just do it" suggestion: Timing can be important, particularly for the developer -- you've got to match your development time to your film and the developer you use. Check the Massive Dev Chart or the data sheet provided by the film or developer manufacturer for times. These times are just suggested starting times that you may need to adjust, but they should at least produce printable negatives. Timing of the fixer step may also vary from one set of instructions to another, and that may be a function of whether the instructions assume you're using regular or rapid fixer; use the appropriate time for that.

10. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good un Jorge.

11. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this was not well received, however I have to say that sometimes it's a lot easier to learn if someone shows you rather than reading a book/web.

I've had no problem helping anyone but I live in NC :wink:

12. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    As Mark suggested practice is important. Nothing is worse than having an important roll dangling in the dark as you've attempted 3 or 4 times without success to get it on the reel. Most photo stores have expired or almost expired rolls of film in a box for half price. Pick up two cheap rolls. One for practicing in the light and when you feel comfortable the other for a "dress rehersal" in the dark. Practice until it becomes easy.

13. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in Hell's Kitchen and I'd be happy to help, time permitting. I could even swing by B&H or Adorama if you wanted to do a little shopping. PM me if you are interested. There's a little of my work on show in NYC at the moment if you want to be forewarned.

Best,
    Helen

14. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I knew I recognized that face. She is in charge of the female auxilliary of the Westies. Tread carefully boys or she will send you to the big darkroom in the sky.

15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whereabouts, Helen?

16. TheFixer

TheFixer Inactive

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    WHY?

Y'know, every forum that inkedmagazine posts in has a problem with him.
    He posts an "innocent" question or statement, then sits back and watches the fur fly. Lo unto the one who disagrees with "inky." He is allowed to goad and belittle others, and "assert" his experiences in "the publishing industry,"
    but heaven forbid others disagree with him. What he is doing is marketing research for his magazine. Sure, people are allowed to disagree, that is interesting and helps us all to grow. I feel he takes it too far; he doesn't help others to benefit from his experience, he uses it as a weapon. I feel he takes the confrontation too far; after all, we're all learning, aren't we?
    Surely, with his intelligence, he could read up on developing film, and then do it.
    This is all allowed by the admin. WHY? One word: starts with M, ends with Y.

17. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I don't believe that _Inked_ is a sponsor of APUG anymore. He is participating as a subscriber. 12 bucks ain't a lot of M***Y.

18. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Fixer, for what it is worth, Sean is not an ordinary Admin and that is why this is not an ordinary forum. This guy started out as a "sponsor" but after Sean read his pro digital statements in his magazine he rescinded that privilege. Mr. Inked stated that he has "seen the photographic future and it is digital."

Sean and the moderator team is trying very hard to take the "high road" in all of this. Sure he goes and buys an analog camera and a few rolls of film and walks around New York taking some snap shots so he can come here and talk the analog talk. No one is fooled. $$ is not involved. High principle is.

19. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just don't understand why not just ignore those who irritate. It seems otherwise we play into their hands.

20. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David asked: "Whereabouts, Helen?"

David,
    I'll send you a PM to avoid going off topic.
    Best,
    Helen