Need Your help APUG

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jesterthejedi, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago I saw a great deal on film here in the Classified section. I contacted the seller, offered a price and mailed my Postal Money order for $20. He has been giving me the run around, and said last time that the package returned undeliverable. My apartment complex has big locked boxes for packages and the postal service will also give a post card if its still to big. I was checking the mail daily, so his story isn't adding up. I will post his email exchange, and I hope someway we can get a resolution. It's not a lot of money either, I upheld my end of the deal, I think I was doing the guy a favor by buying his expired film. Advice, a rag to cry with, or something useful requested.

Billy

Link to classified:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/103492-expired-film-35mm-120-bw-c41.html

Email exchange:
    Daniel,

What's the story? Did you scam me for $20 bucks? I didn't have to buy your film, I upheld my side of the deal. I think I have absolutely 100% fair and also communicated clearly as well. I need a response as to whats going on. I will be notifying the admins on Apug of this issue.

Billy
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterthejedi
    Daniel,

will do! i printed a shipping label lol thats the address i dont have a clue why it would be undeliberable its even in one of their boxes!

Make sure you are using the correct address, in bold caps, nicely printed letters. Please follow through with me tomorrow if you sent it.

Thanks,
    [personal info deleted]

hey man I just got the film back undeliverable il send it again via usps tomorrow [personal info deleted] if you dont get it by saturday sorry I have no idea whats up

Hey Daniel,

Still waiting on the film, just want a confirmation it was sent.

Thanks
    Billy
    got the money order today! will ship in the morning

Hey Daniel,

Any update on the MO and film?

Thanks
    Billy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  2. CD55

CD55 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First I think it would be good to delete your address and his phone number from the message above. Have you tried calling him and talking about what is happening instead of playing email tag. You can also have the package delivered with confirmation to make sure it gets delivered or an attempted delivery was made.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  3. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have nothing to hide, I have been waiting since Thursday for any response from him, yet he posted a new ad to sell stuff in the Classified section.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've taken the liberty of deleting the personal info from the first post. Even if you have nothing to hide, and your address is probably public information, it's not really such a great idea to expose it to search engines, and whatever your interaction with the other party, posting his phone number is in bad form.

Did you call him?

5. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I sent him a text, and he said its on its way. No tracking number as its just regular post.

6. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If it gets returned again, ask for a tracking number. The fee for delivery confirmation is nominal at the post office, and I think it's free if you use USPS.com.

7. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my area USPS is going through some serious changes.
    Personel cuts etc.

Your route may have had a sub so it's possible something happened especially at an apt complex.
    I wouldn't light the stakes just yet.

8. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bruce,

Had no trouble getting any mail this whole 2 weeks, even ordered stuff of ebay and the likes, plus I live in a big complex, 500 units, so the mail guy is consistent. I know mistakes happen and I need to be a bit more patient but I am still concerned for the outcome. I used up the rest of my film waiting for his to arrive :sad:

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    talk to the person who delivers your mail, go to the post office
    and see if they can HOLD the package at the post office
    instead of trying to deliver it ...

of tell the guy who is shipping it, to write HOLD AT PO FOR PICK UP on the box

good luck !
    john

10. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What's the story? Did you scam me for $20 bucks? I didn't have to buy your film, I upheld my side of the deal. I think I have absolutely 100% fair and also communicated clearly as well. I need a response as to whats going on. I will be notifying the admins on Apug of this issue.

Is the above really how you started dialogue? If so it may have some bearing on the outcome.

11. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Craig that was this weeks question, I know it seems harsh but I had not heard anything back from the guy after repeatedly emailing him. I am not a beat around the bush guy, I like to be direct and open, and when there is a problem I come out and ask questions. My relentless attitude is something I value as a strength, and I only use it when needed. Whew :smile: On a much nicer note, I did finally get a reply that he sent it, and fingers crossed it arrives okay. Only one state over should be quick and safe. If the guy would have just been honest that he hadn't sent it yet, instead of telling me it was returned and then keeping me in the dark, I would be out shooting film instead of writing about it :tongue:

12. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Been a month today, no film or reply back from this guy. I requested the Admins consider a classified feedback system. I think also a good lesson I learned it don't send money order, with a paypal or similar I can file a claim. In this case I am out my $20 and he is ignoring any messages. I also personally talked to my mail man and he confirmed that no packages have been returned or held for me.

13. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I feel yer pain pardner, I've been ripped off too. These days I look at join date and number of posts before I decide if I want to chance it. I sell to newbies, but never buy from one.

14. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  15. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We've deleted all his posts in the classifieds until this is resolved. If anyone else has had problem transactions with user "DSK," please notify the moderators.

16. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, David... good on you and the other Mods here for watching out for your members!! That's pretty rare on most forums.

17. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks. The terms of use are such that these are just transactions between individuals, and APUG can't be responsible for what happens, but nonetheless, we try to do what we can to resolve the few problems that we hear about. We can't guarantee transactions, but we can weed out the sellers and buyers who for whatever reason, can't seem to do business in a straightforward way. Also, if we have access to personal contact information that isn't part of the user's public profile, we can try to contact them on behalf of the other party in the transaction, if they haven't been able to contact them themselves.

18. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, David... This makes me feel very good about buying or selling here on APUG. I think we all understand that the Mods can't spend all their time Moderating "deals between individuals" but we really do appreciate your efforts. I have a boat-load of stuff I need to sell but I'll never take advantage here and expect to be "called-out" if I ever make a mistake. That's only fair. BTW, I'm not looking to buy. I think I have all I want now. I just need to sell a bunch of stuff to leave my son a few bucks. That's many years from now (I hope) so I expect to be bothering APUG for a few years. I value my reputation so... well... there you have it.