Neg I Want Is Always On The End Of The Strip

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by LJSLATER, May 5, 2013.

1. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How come it seems like every negative I want to print is on the end of the strip? I cut my film in strips of six, so the "keepers" have a one-in-three chance of being either the first or last frame of any given strip. It's so annoying.

The same thing has been happening with my slide copying experiments: I don't mount my slides; instead, I cut them in strips of six slides per strip. When I want to copy either the first or last frame on a strip, it's much harder to keep the film lined up and flat.

How does one combat this problem? Is it worth it to cut the keepers off of the strip and store them separately? Do glass holders help keep strips of film from trying to fall out of the holder and getting crooked?

2. Compaq

Compaq Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hehe, I feel your pain because I have thought the exact same thing.

I just try to place the neg as best as possible, and make minor adjustments once the holder is in the enlarger.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't understand the problem. If the neg is in the middle, or at the end of a strip, when in the neg carrier it is flat.

4. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just cut the negative strips short a bit, wont look nice, but you will have your frames you like not on the ends. I do this to avoid having to cut frames that maybe be spaced to close and not worth the risk spiting them. The sleeves I buy are 7 rows of 6 exposures. and usually I can fit them all in that.

5. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Get a glass negative holder and additionally you can use a small piece of tape to hold the strip in place.

Jon

6. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I know the feeling. Total random nature should prevail but it's the Murphy's Law at work here.

I have the Paterson negative file pages for 35mm which allows 7 strips of 6. When I KNOW there is a valuable shot, I will buffer it by cutting the strip before at 5 frames and have the good shot followed by a dud.

It's important because scissors are imprecise and can sometimes take a bit of image with them. Also gives a little fingerprint protection to the good shot.

At the end or if there is an empty frame, I will cut a generous clear space to grab onto.

I am not Obsessive Compulsive about it, but I have the option available to me when I think clearly.

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The others are for "warming up". Like a pianist or a dancer warming up. You're find out want you want by shooting what you don't want. I'm like that too.

8. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first reaction was "HA!" It is amazing how often that happens. If one cuts one's film in say seven five frame strips, assuming 35 mm, that means 14 frames are on the ends. That's less than half, yet it seems more than half the time we are printing end frames. It's a mystery.

9. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mine keepers sometimes land in the middle of a 3-exposure 6x6 120 strip, which makes it nigh-on impossible to manipulate the strip in my negative carrier. If the neg on either side isn't a keeper or technically duff (underexposed etc) I tape a strip of light card to the strip. Otherwise I just have to live with it. Its rarely a problem for me with 35mm because I cut into strips of 5 which sticks out from either side of the carrier. Sailor Vee...

Cheers,
    kevs

10. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I cut mine in strips of 5, but also leave the blank film at the end of a roll for handling-usually gives me 2 frames & a handle area.

11. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also cut an extra frame's worth of blank film at the end of a roll. If you scan your film you can use that frame to calibrate the scanner. Just make sure you have some all black film and some all clear film. Then you'll have something to calibrate your film base and your D-max from.

12. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you were truly OCD like a friend of mine you would do what he does and skip every other frame as you shoot. :wink:

13. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think I am in danger...
    My 6x9 are always on the end.
    And so is my 4x5.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strange, my 4x5s are always at the beginning.

16. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's the top.

How much space did you get between frames?

17. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Keystone. Wish I could get film for it. I do have a Bag Mag but it needs to be repaired.

18. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This falls under "vagaries of life". Like odd numbers of socks, rain on the parade, and the car being low on gas only when we're in a hurry.

19. smieglitz

smieglitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "Film is cheap." I've been known to shoot three frames of shots I think I'll really like. Some people bracket exposures but I rather take three at the setting I believe to be correct. That way I end up with a frame to print that isn't on the end in a strip of five. Plus, it gives me a backup in case the first one gets damaged somehow.

20. youngrichard

youngrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can anyone explain what the problem is here? Neg 1 and 6 are the same size and shape as neg 3 and 4, and the neg holder grips them the same.
    Richard

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Negative curl, and getting a firm grip with the negative holder on the negative that wants to be free!

22. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    a little know fact - there are fewer of these kind of gremlins as the film size gets larger!:wink:

jvo

23. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just be glad there are frames you want to print... The rest can be worked out.

24. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes that's the important thing.

youngrichard, I believe this thread was just a chance to let off some steam about a "Murphy's Law" problem I can relate to.

It's a minor annoyance.

25. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A very good point, thank you :smile:

I actually have considered making blank exposures in between shots, but it seems like too much of a waste, especially if I'm using films that are no longer available.

I realize that my original post was petty and trite. I was glad to hear I wasn't the only one annoyed by this though!

26. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My problem of late - why is it the only image I want to print on a row of negs is the only one that has a preventable flaw on it - I.E., the only one with a dust spot, or a few ever so minor scratches....sigh