negative carrier which includes thin border

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by pcooklin, Jan 26, 2012.

1. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello - I have an LPL and Meopta enlarger but both heads use carriers which are the exact size of 135/120 film, I would like to include a thin black border around the image showing the original composition.
    Ive seen prints where this is used but cant find any carriers/holders which have this option. Do people make their own or are there specific holders on the market for that purpose which Ive not seen.
    Many thanks,
    Paul.

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think there are some manufactured fixed "full frame" carriers. But, most people mod their own buy using a file.

The previous owner of my enlarger filed the carriers, but the opening doesn't give an even boarder around the neg area for the negs from my most-used camera, hence I never bother with trying to include the rebate area.

For the LPL you can buy a carrier that has an adjustable mask, which might be better than the filing method.

3. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most people make them with a file and a factory carrier. 5 minutes with a file and you will be good. Mark the line you wish to get to with a sharpie so you don't over file. Make sure you don't leave any burrs.

Or use a glass carrier for the next film size up and mask off the proper sized area.

4. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I use a Durst M601 which is designed for up to 6x6 negs, but has some space around that so you can get a good border.
    I also use an LPL with a 5x4 glass carrier. You can put any negative that's smaller than 5x4 in there and print a border.

5. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you. Ive enquired about getting a couple of 200mm x 100mm mounts made with 28 x 40mm cutouts and 60mm x 60mm which I would hinge together.
    Tomalophicon - how does the 120/135 film stay flat in 5x4 holder, doesn't it bend in the middle. Ive tried 135 with a 120 holder and it's 'ok' but not ideal.

6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Pcooklin, sorry, it has glass in it. It had 2 glass plates but I took one out to prevent Newton's Rings. The negatives are still held flat, but for a negative on the end of the strip, there needs to be 2 plates.

7. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    tomalophicon - Ah yes, of course. I took the glass out of my neg carriers as it seemed like another source for dust.
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

8. Buje

Buje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you Burje.

I agree, dust has always been my main problem in the darkroom so I have avoided glass carriers.
    Thanks again!

10. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On the Meopta for 35mm simply use the plate which goes on the bottom of the glassless neg-carrier as normal, then the anti-newton glass on top. The lower plate has a slightly larger aperture in and the glass has no aperture at all of course. Spares for the Meopta neg carriers etc. are still available.

Alternatively, use the double-glass carrier and mask off as required with the built-in sliding masking-arms.

If you just want a black line instead of the "edge of the negative" look, then make a black card a few millimeters smaller than the enlarging-easel format, place it in one corner of the paper/easel, expose for black, move to the diagonally opposite corner and expose again. That gives you a neat black border which will be surrounded by the usual white edges. Don't forget to make your print exposure too of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  11. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also own an lPL, a 4550 XLG. My wife made me one for my birthday a few years ago. She made it with standard weight matte board and used our matte cutter to bevel the edges. It works like a champ.

She hates the look, but I love it. Guess who does the printing.

Don

12. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I make mine out of cardboard (and I made one out of a DVD-cover), I simply measured up the correct dimensions (my carriers are normally metal insets into a unineg-holder) and cut them out using a metal ruler and/or freehand cutting (to get some unevenness).

The one made with the dvd-cover, can be adjusted using regular black electrical tape,

Took a bit of trial and error, but I now have a couple of carriers that give me a border effect and I still have my regular/factory carriers in good condition.

13. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The standard neg carrier on my Leica 1C is a doosie, thin but a little rough as well. The carrier on the V35 is more precise but a little too wide for my taste.