Negative problem

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jgbogner, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jgbogner

jgbogner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I recently bought a Mamiya RB67 camera with 90 & 250mm lenses. It is in almost new condition. Today I got back my first roll of film.

All the negatives have the left side over-exposed - about 1 to 1-1/2" wide. The rest of the negative is fine. what is the problem? A friend thought it was a seal problem. Thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Attached Files:

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Jim,

My first reaction is that there may be a light leak. What seems strange is that the overexposed area is so sharply delineated on the right but much less so on the left side of the overexposed portion. Wish my thought could be of more assistance.

Konical

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably a light leak. Could you scan the negatives; looking at the edges can help figure it out.

4. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree, it's most likely a problem with the camera back's seals. Could also be that the back wasn't completely seated on the camera. I had light leak issues with a camera once, but they stopped after that roll. I'd run another roll through before you do anything drastic.

5. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Orient the negative n image as it sits in the film back. Then try to figure where the light is entering... dark slide, hinge, latch, face plate screws lose or missing, rev back not seated properly... etc.

Now take a good look at your seals.. gummy, missing, dry n cracked?

Then there is the final test... the bright light inside the camera trick, done in a dark room. If you can have that much light get in, you will certainly see it coming out.

6. Buje

Buje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had similar problems with an RB back. Tightening the 12 little screws that hold the film aperture plate solved my problem.

7. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Befopre tightening em take em allout n inspect the dark slide baffle? Most times they are in good order but need a cleaning of lint n dirt or just a spread of the springs to make a better seal. If it is worn to the metal, replacement is the best order of business.