Nelson-Atkins collection in Kansas City - new rotation of photos!

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by f/stopblues, Nov 14, 2007.

1. f/stopblues

f/stopblues Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a little Public Service Announcement for those around the Kansas City area..

Most of you probably know that with the new Bloch building opening at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art was the addition of the Hallmark Photographic Collection. If you want to read more about it, check out http://www.nelson-atkins.org/art/Photography.cfm. In short, it's damn impressive.

After they opened the museum it was said they would rotate the exhibited photos about every three months. As promised, the vast majority of photos are new to the gallery walls. Some notable inclusions are "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" - Ansel Adams; "Pepper, 1930" - Edward Weston; "Migrant Mother, Nipomo, California" - Dorothea Lange, among many others (Avedon, Stieglitz, Walker Evans, as well as some modern daugerrotypes and even a completely faux-landscape created digitally.. boo-hiss! haha..)

It's really a premiere exhibition and we're extremely lucky to have it here in the midwest. I hope you can make it out there and check out some breathtaking photography (and support the museum.. go look at the rest of it, too!)

www.nelson-atkins.org

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  2. kchittenden

kchittenden Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Nelson is certainly worth a visit. In August, my wife and I spent an afternoon looking though though the Nelson and their photographic works. They are stunning!

3. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the update. I agree Nelson -Atkins is a real treasure for the midwest. I've been down twice since the addition has opened and plan to go down again early December.