new 6x12 camera to come by Lomography

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by AgX, Oct 18, 2012.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wow... thats actually a real camera from them... glad there's a market...

3. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why does Lomography keep making things I want? >_<

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks interesting. And unusually for Lomo International it's being offered at a reasonable price. Wish I had £200 spare!

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For quite some cameras out of their range you can find much cheaper alternatives on common fleamarkets. Not for this kind though.

I wonder what kind of lens constructions they use.

6. Rom

Rom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Now i have the week end to explain and convainc my other half that this camera is such very interesting.

7. C.poulton

C.poulton Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oh, I'm very very tempted.... Gosh, I've already got too many film cameras as it is and I've just bought a Lubitel 166u as well, but still........ :confused:

8. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    well hell, pull of the lens, throw on something more competent and you have a legitimate 6x12!

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tempted but just spent some dough on a 6x12 back to use with my Wista and Graflex. Also still trying to find time to use the Spinner 360 I bought from them on impulse a couple years ago...

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The more expensive two mention they've got metal bodies, not the inexpensive one. The samples don't look all that sharp so likely to be plastic lenses.
    But. I do have a real 58mm sitting in a drawer. Time to flip a coin?

11. werra

werra Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, from the pictures it appears that only covers are metal, not the whole body.

12. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what are the lenses? I looked and looked and it does not say. Really crap site for tech information about the cameras they are selling.

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I can see Lomography typically give no information about the lenses of their cameras. (And the manufacturer of the Holga range only differs between "glass" and "plastic".)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. fastw

fastw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They look great, but the sample photos look like they came out of a $25 Helga. Don't think so.

16. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's wrong with photos looking like they were made with a Holga? People pay enormous amounts for smartphones with very good cameras built in and then go out of their way to make photos that look like they were made with a Holga.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
  17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. I don't think there was ever the concept behind Lomography to offer cameras that can produce photographs that would be considered high-end technicalwise.

18. wilper

wilper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But is that look something that came from the camera as such, or from their choice of film and development?

I'm considering one of those cameras as an entry into medium format, but I'm not interested in the Holga look.

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look at the price compared with the recent Fujifilm/Bessa medium format folder. I think some people's expectations are a bit high!

Steve.

20. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've bought and use stupider cameras (Graphcheck sequence camera, etc...). Why wouldn't I enjoy using this one?

Marc!

21. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    IMHO the colour samples look similar to colour samples taken with the LC-A. I wouldn't doubt if they deliberately designed their lenses for this 6x12 to replicate that look, as a fair bit of their target hipster market (no offense) seems to like the colour qualities of the LC-A.

I'm still debating about whether to get one of these, but in the meantime it has inspired me to figure out a more practical way to use my converted Polaroid 110A (which has a 127mm lens, which isn't very wide, but is very sharp) that shoots 6x12.

22. fastw

fastw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Maybe people do, but Holga doesn't cost 200 Euro. I wish they'd built a proper camera, not a toy. It's a pity.because it looks so good.
    Somebody earlier said, they might fit a better lens to it, good idea.

23. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    actually, this web site

http://microsites.lomography.com/belair/#cameras

does have some tech information -- at 58 and 90 lens, and i think the gallery shots are not as bad as some here are saying -- a few that look as if they were cross-processed, but a lot of sharp and properly exposed shots.

interesting.

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get the exactly the same page with both links.

25. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see anywhere on their site where they claim this is a high-end camera.
    If you want good results from a Lomo camera, then buy one of the only real Lomo cameras, the LCA, the Smena, or the Lubitel, and make sure the one you buy was manufactured before the introduction of the LCA+. I have an LCA bought 16 years ago. It's a great little camera with an excellent sharp lens and superb metering.

26. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I'm wondering if Lomo's going to continue their tradition of build quality with this camera...or sadly, the lack thereof. I've bought a number of their cameras & products over the years and most of them either quickly broke or under-performed in a major way. While I love the Diana+'s pictures, it's so flimsy I would fear for its' life if I ever accidentally dropped it. The Diana Mini I bought regularly freezes up in the middle of the roll. Ditto the Lomo 35mm back for the Diana. I like the fact that the Bel Air has a bellows--which makes it a lot more convenient than the very bulky Holga 120 Pano that shoots 6x12cm--but why do I get the feeling that the bellows is going to be the first thing on the Bel Air that's going to come apart? This is a big reason why on the whole I prefer Holga gear over Lomo--the Holgas are in general much sturdier.