New: ADOX CHS 100 II

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by hoshisato, Feb 10, 2013.

1. hoshisato

hoshisato Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen any mention of it here, but last week ADOX announced the new ADOX CHS 100 II to be released this summer: http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX Films/Premium/page55/index.html

If it were up to me they will follow up with an ADOX CHS 25 II and an ADOX IR 820, but that is just me writing down my 2013 Christmas list already in February (still, keeping my fingers crossed) :smile:

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news, particularly for 120 and larger formats too!

Just hope it's not like $7-8 a roll....

3. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been cheking the adox web site every other week since the news from Efke last summer and I was very happy to see the news of CHS II. Let's hope it will come in 16x20 as well.

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    $7-8 would be a great price for here..

6. Jim17x

Jim17x Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Rep from Adox announced this on Apug months ago.. They are making replacements for the CHS line, 25, 50,100

7. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great news! :smile:

8. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Please Mirko, stop telling such a kind of wrong things.
    CHS 100 was Efke 100 and was discontinued because the Fotokemika plant closed its doors.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you considered that there may be some truth in that comment. Films like Agfa APX25 can't be made any longer as some key chemicals are no longer available, something similar happened at Foma.

Ian

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have seen the publicity for the new stuff and Adox specifically mentions the spectral sensitizer so I think that Ian is right. The ability to introduce the new film is likely to be connected at least with this sensitizer even if it isn't the whole answer

pentaxuser

11. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    No the specificity of the product was also due to the dip coating machine, that was the only one remaining in the world. The Efke 100 emulsion was designed to be coated with such a coating machine. Not with a modern 8 layer coating machine. This is incompatible with speed coating and so on. The sensitizer question is a annex question.

and, as for the Pan 100, Pan 400 and so much other products, we have to wait and see. For the first two, we are still waiting...

12. Bundesphotograph

Bundesphotograph Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

From the Adox website : +++ PAN 400 is ready for production but due to the sudden changes at Fotokemika who manufactured the CHS line of films for us we had to prioritize and decided to invest in the remanufacturing of a 100 ASA material at first+++

I'm pretty sure the quality of the new Adox 100 will be even better than Efke 100.

13. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    OK. nobody asked the exact origin of the silvermax which is designed to bean ephemere film....

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bundesphotograph

Bundesphotograph Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Mirko from Adox:

"Silvermax is a special film based on an APX 100 emulsion but with a silver richer coating.
    It uses an Agfa stock of clear triacetate base just like our first coating of PAN 400 did. This helped keeping the price within reason.
    We have enough film for about 5 years. After this material is sold making such a film again will probably become very expensive"

16. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that the mighty Efke IR820 AURA is kaputt I'd kill to have anybody (ADOX or MACO/Rollei) take over it and improve. A proper IR film without anti-halatation ("aura") layer and consistent quality.

While a decent film the Rollei Infrared 400 is too harsh for my taste - too much "German precision thinking" I guess that takes away some of the artistic element while Efke Aura had it plenty (and a poor quality control as a side effect :whistling:).

The ex MACO IR820c AURA was also stunning film and was discontinued (I guess Efke took over the same recipe?). I also guess why they stopped is probably people complained about the light-leaks etc since the films without anti-halatation layer need to be taken care when loading into camera - it really needs good backing paper and MACO used white paper back then - not good idea (I often had paper numbers and sybols often reflected into film emulsion when developed even when I took care of loading)! I guess a solid pitch-black or deep gray Ilford SFX-like matte-paper would solve most of those issues with the "AURA" type IR films.

IMHO, when improved and when done right we could have "the next Kodak HIE" type of an artistically stunning IR film that differs day-and-night from any digital-IR tweaks that're gaining ground very fast. I've seen pretty close digital IR results to Rollei Infrared-like stuff, yet I've seen NOTHING close to the "AURA" IR films - light bounces around on film backing creating an interesting optical effect you just can't emulate in digital.

I'd gladly pay $7-10 per 120 roll for such an "Aura" film and buy bucketloads.

I hope ADOX reads this!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

The quality of the product was linked to the coating technique, however no films from other manufacturers suffered from improved coating methods so why should this one ?

Are you in league with a rival, the answer seems to be yes as you promote Rollei/Maco, just let Fotoimpex get on with there projects for the benefit of us all.
    Ian

18. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I promote nobody , I have no rival, only colleagues.

What I mean is: one formula can't be coated with another coating technique.

So If Adox want to introduce a new 100 iso film, why not. But this film will be very different from the Efke one.

and I maintain that mirko 's explanation on CHS 100 discontinuation is false. It was discontinued because EFKE was down.

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Coating technique and emulsion have to fit each other. So you have to re-design the emulsion when changing the coating technique. This does not necessarily result in a different film in the end.

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I disagree, (not with you AgX) but then I manufactured emulsions commercially for over a decade. I also coated Ilford Ilfospeed emulsion unconventionally.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Ian

21. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Macophot IR820c is/was rebadged Efke IR820 (same as Adox selling the Efke films as their CHS line), according to their US distributor who claims to have organised that rebranding arrangement after Maco produced and released a badly uneven batch of their own IR sheet film. The identical spectral sensitivity and use of Aura branding kind of gives it away too.

Same guy also asserts that the 820nm IR sensitiser is now very hard to source because the lab that was making it got bought and raised the MOQ to about $50k.

I guess Ilford is using a different sensitiser for SFX.

22. thomas l

thomas l Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not know, but wasn't it exactly this what Mirko always told us? Efke stopped production and because of this there is no CHS anymore, this is what everybody knows and what Mirko always said, you can read this in all analog related german forums. But it is not true that Fotokemika (efke) is down, Fotokemika just stopped the production of film and photographic paper. Generally it was a little bit difficult to find out what was going on there in Zamobor, this is what I heard.....

The problem with chemicals is also true, I heard stories about such problems in Zamobor many months before stopping production, so this really could be one reason among others. And the problem with machines seems also to be true.

23. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm just happy that Adox are bringing a new film to the market!

Wonderful news!

Trond

24. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The situation in Zamobor has been confused but is now clear.
    The machinery was located in a building that the company was renting to an owner. But this building was in a very bad state. Rain was running inside, and it became dangerous to work in such a building.
    It was too much expensive to move the machinery so they decided to stop in June, and they let the world know their decision in September.

25. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I sounds to me like Efke may have a case against the landlord for not properly maintaining the building. I'm going to really miss that film, and if ADOX can come up with something similar, I would be very happy to buy it. Not that I use(d) a lot of it,though.

26. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Given that Efke was reported to be in the building under a generous rent-free arrangement as a favour from its owner, I doubt there's much recourse.