New Agfa production?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by C A Sugg, Dec 20, 2009.

1. C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Without APX 25, it hardly seems worth it.

3. funkpilz

funkpilz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never shot APX25, so I can't comment on that. But for me, keeping APX100 alive seems worth it on its own.

4. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    To me it sounds like they're getting rid of some old stocks hidden somewhere. I Did hear of it two days ago, but when I read a similar article with the press release; It didn't sound at all new manufacture.
    Ferrania USA owns that Oklahoma plant that was discussed here some months ago, do they still have film coating and packing equipment?

If my guess isn't right and they're remanufacturing some Agfa film, that would be great!

5. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was saddened to see only 35mm in the product photos. I wish I could get some Agfa 120 size.

6. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Difficult to say, but I doubt there's any new Agfa emulsion being produced. It's possible that Ferrania has got what's left of the master rolls (Rollei is still trying to move the remainder of their re-labeled APX 100 some 3+ years after obtaining it) and is finishing it and boxing it. Who really knows...

There are longer-term plans from Adox/Fotoimpex (who recently brought Agfa MCP and MCC B&W enlargng papers back from the grave) to get APX 100 and APX 400 back in production but there's no fixed timeline at the present. This would include 135, 120, and 4x5 sizes - so we'll just have to hope this becomes a reality.

7. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which tells me more than anything that it's just existng stock that wasn't re-labeled by Rollei. 120 stocks of both APX 100 and APX 400, world-wide, were gone within 3-4 months of AgfaPhoto going belly-up.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it were new manufacturing, you would think there would be more news about it.

9. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the only Agfa film I'm interested in too.

10. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ultra 50 and Portrait 160 would have got my interest.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While APX25 was a superb film it was only marginally better than APX100 which is an outstanding film, streets ahead of Tmax 100 which in practice runs a full stop slower to achieve the same tonality.

Some of the best/highest quality 35mm images I've ever seen where shot with APX100 or it's predecessor AP100, and processed in Rodinal.

It's afr morev important to have APX100 back in a full range of sizes from 35mm to sheet fil, APX25 had very poor sales in later years mainly because the 100 ISO film was so good, and far more practical

I found a roll each of AP25, APX25 and APX100 on my trip back to the UK 3 weeks ago so will be shooting them soon :D

Ian

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lupus Imaging is seemingly the outlet of AgfaPhoto Holding. The latter is what is left of AgfaPhoto. With the demise of the AgfaPhoto coating plant that holding only holds the right to use, as an unwanted licencee of Agfa, that AgfaPhoto brand and that red dot (for sublicencing). And seemingly that holding has in some way still access to some remainders of the AgfaPhoto stock out of their insolvency.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  13. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Please do not expect any resurection of Agfa products. The AGfaPhoto plant in Leverkusen is dead, dismantled and you'll never have new APX films. It's finished !!!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APX 25 is the only Agfa film I will miss long term. Insignia was a favorite paper of mine, but the latest Seagull VC Warm is better in my darkroom.

16. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I saw a post a while ago from someone who at least sounded like he knew what he was talking about. In it he said that then NEW AGFAPhoto Vista film was really Ferrania film. It was just re-branded Solaris film.

17. kompressor

kompressor Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And Ferrania have discontinued all their filmproducts and closed down the filmfactory, regardig a press notice on their website. But i dont give a damn. I will use my big stock of APX100 and 400, its a superb film. But i gett even nicer/smoother negatives (my personal taste) with Kodak Plus-x or TXP/TX. And if i really want the big bang, i develop in pyro and spend some quality time in the darkroom using several masks in the printing process.

Folks, there are plenty of fresh quality films out there, just learn to know them. If its packed in a yellow box and not dated years back, it WILL give you superb results if you keep your part of the deal and expose and develop it with understanding and care!

18. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No one has mentioned it, but Agfa-Gevaert in Belgium is still an operating company with a coating facility. They could manufacture Agfa b/w films if they wanted to, after all they were the parent company of Agfa Germany. Lupis "could" contract for production. It seems that entering into a new distribution agreement would mean that there were large ample stocks of materials available, even if only in 35mm size.

19. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Certainly there will be no more film from AgfaPhoto; it is kaput.

The Adox/Fotoimpex project is on hold because there are still large stocks of APX 100 around in 35mm.

You can read about the status of the project here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/61322-update-new-apx-100-manufacture.html

Of course there's no guarantee it will ever be produced again, but the same group has returned Agfa MCP and MCC to production in the past 18 months.

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HAve to agree there will be APX100 hopefully once the glut of 35mm film disappears.

Just like Agfa's MCC has come back under the Fotoimpex Adox name.

Ian

21. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian,

I just wish Fotoimpex packed Adox MCC in larger quantities (e.g. 100sh of 8x10" assuming a discount), and in stronger ILFORD-like boxes. A flexible paper with rich tonality, concerns aside. How about a German manufactured cold tone paper at some point from Adox?

Tom

22. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom, ever since Kodak began packaging its 8x10 film in 10-sheet boxes there's been an on-line outcry. I'm sure sales have suffered as a result. It seems people don't readily accept reality. The market for analog photography products is a small fraction of what it once was. If a top-quality manufacturer decides higher prices and smaller packages are appropriate for this "new world order," why make matters worse by further discouraging consumption?

Please purchase and enjoy the extremely fine Adox MCC as it's currently offered. I encourage everyone else to do the same!

23. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Reading the press release, they talk of AGFAphoto "Branded" film, and don't mention APX400. Maco has been only selling the APX100 stock. As someone else metioned, Ferania themselves have said they are no longer making film, but the US plant was always a packing/converting plant for private label products.

Ferania USA could probably convert, perf, and package any master roll of film, from almost any source. Hard to imagine that any actual AGFAphoto made colour film would still be arround, but perhaps some of Ferrania's 2008 production is still in stock.

AGFA-Grevert is only set up to make Polyester base film AFAIK, and the stuff sourced from there is mostly from their Military-Industrial range. Thus Maco's S series films.

OTOH is is hard to tell the players without a scorecard, and several smaller makers are now capable of coating stuff, and sending it out to be converted.

24. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm with Tom. I'd buy more of the new paper if it was in 100 or 250 sheet boxes.

Mike

25. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If there is still APX100 lying around it would make more sense to start with some APX25!

26. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ferrania Solaris is still being made in 2009. There was an announcement in the summer of 2008 that Ferrania would stop film production at the end off 2008 however it looks like that did not happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009