NEW Auxiliary Rangefinder

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by fotoman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That looks great!

3. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I remember looking at your site when it first opened and thinking "these guys don't know what they're doing and won't last." Boy was I wrong on both counts!Nice looking products and I think you're doing a great service to the LF community.

William

4. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks like a winner!

5. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It does look great and very similar to my mint/mint- condition Voigtlander Rangefinder also measured in feet.

Rich

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, isn't it a bit silly that they have two different models, one in meters and one in feet, when both could easily be indicated on one dial? Oh well, it looks like a nice thing.

7. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bravo! You have now surpassed ALPA in usability. I hope a mount will be built into your upcoming 6x9.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

8. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Only silly for those who still have younger eyes. If we put both scales on the distance ring the print would be very small.

9. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you add a clip-on, eye-safe laser pointer? My interest is for "Dambusters" focussing of portraits, but I'm sure there are those who could use it like the old focusspot attachment for night-time focussing of speed graphics.

10. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's great to see products like this being made again.

Having said that, I saw the price and gulped! A few months ago I picked up a virtually identical item (about 40 years old but in excellent condition and very accurate) on eBay for about GBP 6. Like this one, it was also capable of easy recalibration.

I wonder if there will be a market for an item like this at this price point.

11. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Hadn't really thought about it to be honest. It's too late to change anything on the RF... perhaps you could velcro one on.

12. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are any number of bodge-job ways to do this, or more elegant ways if you are prepared to machine the casing of an older rangefinder. It would be nice though if someone (hint, hint :smile: made a lightsource that was designed from the start to clip on securely and with the right orientation, and which had the battery compartment and diode chip arranged so that the combined unit had some kind of mechanical and design integrity.

While you're at it, please make a lightweight holder for 5" roll film. :smile:

PS: thanks for listening.

13. fotoman

fotoman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    You were very fortunate to acquire one for GBP 6. I've been keeping track for some time, and there hasn't been a mint Voigtlander sell for under 100 USD for over a year. And even a mint Voightlander is still 50+ years old... with a very small, and usually cloudy viewing window.

Is there a market at this price? Our backlog keeps growing, so I suppose somebody thinks so. While they may look simple from the outside, these are truly precise instruments requiring careful CNC controlled machining and assembly. Factoring in inflation since the early 1950's, our RF is cheap... compared to what the Voigtlander cost in its day.

14. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sincerely, I'm happy to hear it. Such lovely devices are a delight in themselves. I'm very glad that their production will continue.

I wish you every success.