New B&W 'Zine...? & Updates..

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by vickersdc, Dec 7, 2007.

1. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Following an interesting debate on B&W magazine, I wondered how many of you would be interested in the following idea...

Just for the record I used to buy B&W, but stopped when too many digital articles started to appear. Now I do shoot both digital and film - generally digital stuff for my 'commercial' side, and film for my personal work. And yes, I work with both Photoshop and wet process.

But, I'm really interested to read about the analogue side of things (especially as most photo-mags appear to be very equipment based rather than image based, if you see what I mean).

So, how's this for an idea...

I'm not in a position to put together a magazine that you can sit on the train and read, but I am willing to setup an 'e-zine' (don't you just hate this jargon!) with articles written by YOU (and me too occasionally!). I would only stick with analogue and here's what I would like to get if you are up for this...

1) equipment reviews - whether it's a Leica M7 or a Kodak Medalist, Gandolfi or Voightlander.
    2) processing - whether traditional silver halide or alternative processes
    3) film - I'd be interested to know about how processing chemicals affect the development of film, types of film and how they relate to older / newer lenses.
    4) techniques - using the zone system, panning, macro, etc...
    5) gallery - showcase of images for 1 person per month / week / year depending on interest levels

I'd already started 'A Simple Guide To Improving Your Photography' at http://davidvickersphotography.blogspot.com, but if you people are up for this then I'm happy to create something specific to the world of B&W.

You can reply here, PM me or email me at davidvickersphotography at yahoo.co.uk

David Miller has already mentioned that he prefers the printed page (and so do I to be truthful), but there may be a way around this...

If we can get a series of articles together, then I could essentially bundle these up and create a magazine (based on those articles) via lulu.com.

Please, please, let me know what your thoughts are - if there's enough interest then we can make a start!

Cheers,
    David.

2. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like the Lulu idea - I also far prefer the printed page. The only downside of Lulu is they cost a fortune and take an age for those of us in the UK :sad:.

I'd also say... Why B&W? Traditional yes; but there are some of us who work in colour in the traditional way as well!

3. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, you are right of course! Where will it end? Some will say "...but I use the wet process then scan it in, therefore I'd like to know about scanners." Then it's "...when I've scanned it in, my images appear to have scratches on, how can I get rid of these in Elements / Photoshop / GIMP / etc.."!

Anyway - I think you could be right on this one - perhaps making it 'traditional' photography would be better and a little more inclusive to all. I only mentioned B&W because that I what I personally am interested in.

Thanks for the comments.

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am very interested in reading the content and would also be happy to contribute in my areas: 7x17, 8x10, Jobo, silver prints. For the aging ludite, would you explain delivery of an e-zine? I unfortunately still have dial up connection so downloading would be a problem. We have no trains about other than freight and I do not have a notebook or an electronic book. They have, however, taught me to read a few years back.

John Powers

5. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi John, thanks for the offer to contribute. Here's how I see this happening so we can please the 'electronic' people and the 'paper' people...

The electronic version would be 'published' via a website (as mentioned earlier, I already do this sort of thing at http://davidvickersphotography.blogspot.com ) and this means that anyone can read it who has access to a 'puter. For those who would be interested in a paper copy, I could collate all the articles that appeared over a pre-determined period of time (maybe 3 months?) and print and publish via someone like lulu.com - this has the advantage that a paper copy is produced and can be delivered world-wide (albeit at a cost of course). The great thing is that if we can get enough interest, producing a paper copy via Lulu.com becomes worthwhile - it's not about making money but delivering the information at a reasonable price to all those around the world who'd like a paper version.

Realistically, costs for a paper version are going to work out more than just buying a magazine at the local store - but at least it will meet the needs of this very special niche market. And it's essentially created by YOUR contributions, therefore the community can feel as if it has ownership.

Thanks,
    David.

6. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would love to see a print magazine pick up the torch dropped by Emulsion. I hope that there won't be much color in it and that the emphasis will be on the black and white darkroom and on the images themselves. As for ezines, I just don't read them, but I would certainly give this ezine a try if that is the only feasible format.

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be happy to be a contributor as well.

8. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What particular areas would you be able to contribute in?

----------------------
    I realise that the electronic format is not really what people want, but it would be a start and if 'backed-up' by a printed copy once a quarter (to start with) that would keep everyone happy wouldn't it?!

Following an earlier post, I think that we should have some colour in it - but I realise that most of the people here are like myself, and prefer B&W. But for this to work we would need to get as many people involved as we could in order to cover all the bases. One thing is for sure - NO DIGITAL! Well, with the exception of uploading articles / pictures for inclusion in to the 'zine!

From the posts and PM's so far, it seems that there is the interest out there - but please keep posting your ideas / thoughts. I'll try and get something put together and I've got a few people offering to contribute already so it may be that we could put something together over the next couple of months and trial it out on the 'net.

Thank you for all your comments and offers.
    David.

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm - let's see. Well, I'm a very well-versed platinum/palladium printer - I can write about a diverse variety of subjects relating to alternative processes from paper choice to coating to exposure and processing, developing film to suit the process, building your own UV exposure unit, rehabbing antique contact printing frames, and so on. I'm also quite well known on APUG here for photographing the nude, particularly the male nude. If you've got the guts to publish it, I'd be happy to write about working with the nude figure, both in the studio and in the landscape, and the distinctions between photographing the male and the female nude.

10. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, i don't mind publishing it - just so long as it's legal. If we are going to do this properly, I think it needs to be about the image more than the camera as it were - I'm interested, and therefore I assume most of us are interested(!?) in the thought that goes in to making an image, whether it's a male nude, an old church or a polystyrene cup.

Thank you for you offer - it's beginning to look like we might be able to get something started; small to start with whilst we find our feet and then go from there!

11. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I couldn't wait, I was like a kid at a sweet-shop! I've started the online part of the magazine over at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com - all we need now are some articles!

So, you may want to quickly nip over there and check it out, but if you are interested in starting up this new project to create a magazine for the traditional image-makers then I'm going to need some articles. If you'd like to be a regular contributor, let me know and I'll set you up as an author.

For now however, if you've any articles or images please email me in the first instance at davidvickersphotography at yahoo.co.uk and we'll make a start.

12. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you wanted a complete newbies viewpoint I only picked up an SLR last year and now have a Garage Darkroom, Drying Cabinet in my front room and a "too large" collection of old cameras. (not that i'm any good mind you) so if you wanted a view from the inexperienced end of the pool let me know. :smile:

13. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that's a nice idea sausage100uk - it would be nice to have everything from the absolute beginner to the niche expert writing articles. Funnily enough, I was thinking about doing a primer on film processing just to get things going.

Take a quick look at the magazine site at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com and get submitting your article!

Welcome to the club :smile:

David Vickers.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Like many others here, I too am discouraged by the gradual but seemingly inevitable digital domination of B&W. The time is fast approaching when instead of buying that magazine every month, I will thumb through it at Barnes & Noble over a cup of coffee, identify and peruse the bit of traditional content, and put it back along with the others that have gone "into the light." I was so hoping that Emulsion Magazine would be the digital-safe alternative, but I also realize how difficult it must be to begin and sustain publishing a quality magazine.

In a similar vein to David's project, I have been wondering why our APUG community cannot support its own traditional-based magazine, either in electronic and/or print format. After all, is there a more dense concentration of experts and practitioners in the emulsion arts than right here? Perhaps we'd all better get behind David and help him make this happen. I also wonder if there are some strategic alliances to be made between a magazine and the APUG site and organization...

Dan

16. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan,

That's a great idea - I'll contact those at APUG and see if we can make this mutually beneficial. I can tell you now that this is going to happen and people are starting to come onboard already. My guess is that it'll be up and running in the new year.

If it's successful (by which I mean that there's enough interest) we could even see the magazine gracing the shelves of Barnes & Noble, Amazon, booksellers, ...

I'm very excited by this project and really feel that we can shape the magazine as we want it - but I need the help and support of others!

Cheers,
    David.

17. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really like the idea of an APUG magazine, even if it was only in an electronic format.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  18. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quick update on Creative Image Maker...

Until we start properly in January 2008 with our first proper article, I'll be posting updates on http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com so you know what is going on behind the scenes - but I thought I'd post a quick update here...

We now have several offers from contributors for a diverse range of articles which is great news - keep it coming, we are going to need enough to provide an article a week after all. Being pragmatic about this, I reckon the articles may well come in fits and starts while we get it up and running.

We now have an online home for the magazine - http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com. The paper version will go out once a quarter via www.lulu.com.

I've setup a Flickr group for images that will also get used in the magazine - the group is called Creative Image Maker and can be found at http://www.flickr.com/groups/555449@N25/ and there's a discussion group there for comments about the magazine only. I've submitted the site to Google as well, so it should start showing up on there after the web-bots have been round. The online home has also been setup with an RSS feed, so you don't actually have to visit the site if you subscribe to the feed - the articles will come and find you! I've also set it up so that home page shows the first paragraph - you'll have to click to read the whole article. The advantage of doing this is that we can fit more stuff on the homepage - useful if long articles are going to be uploaded.

I've also been in contact with APUG - thanks for the idea Dan.

Once again, thanks for your support for this project; can't wait to see it running properly.
    David Vickers.

19. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How about Camera, Film & Print Magazine"
    OR
    C.F.P. Magazine

I just caught this and this is just a quick note on the idea.
    Bobby

PS--This reminded me of something I have thought of since I first heard his name; SOMEONE near him, should sit down with Martin Forscher and write a book on his creations during the years he had PCR, before he dies.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  20. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think almost everyone here would like an "APUG Illustrated" magazine, perhaps along the lines of Lenswork Extended published in PDF format and distributed on CD.

I think it would be smart to format the magazine along the lines of how APUG forums are organized, with a section on Enlarging, Darkroom, B&W Film, Color, Alternative Processes, Geographic Locations, Featured Photographer, Gallery, etc. Perhaps not all sections in every magazine but if enough people contribute I think it would be great.

21. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jerold,

Thanks very much for your thoughts - it's a great idea, I've been in touch with APUG already and what you say makes complete sense. I wouldn't feel comfortable about doing an 'APUG illustrated' without their consent and I'll speak to them about that too.

One of the great things about lulu.com is that you can download a PDF version for free, or purchase the paper copy - so everyone is happy! However, if people purchase the paper copy then that will allow me to work towards getting an ISBN setup and that gives everyone the opportunity to order it through normal channels - be that Amazon, Barnes Noble or the local newsagent.

Thanks everyone.
    David Vickers.

22. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe you can look at the German APUG version, APHOG, created by Hans-Jürgen B., and some other simular thinking guys and girls.

aphog - Home:
    http://www.aphog.de/

Forum:
    http://www.aphog.de/forum/index.php

Photoblog:
    http://www.aphog.de/galerie/

Gallery (via Flickr due to the heavy data traffic):
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/aphog/

APHOG Newsletter 1):
    http://www.aphog.de/downloads/Newsle..._magazin01.pdf

APHOG Newsletter 2):
    http://www.aphog.de/downloads/Newsle..._magazin02.pdf

And in real life: Organizing a meeting or a trip e.g. to the Rollei / F&H factory in Braunsweig a.s.o.

.... and the APHOG national and international partners:
    http://www.aphog.de/partner_aphog/partner.htm

Very professional but all done in free hobby time on quiet a nice professional level.

Best regards,

Robert

23. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

Things are progressing with the online magazine, and the next step is to get some PR for it. Here's where you could help me.

I'm based in the UK, so I've access to newsteams / editors of magazines here, but I'm at a complete loss to art / photography magazines in the US. Would you be able to PM me email details of newsdesks / editors of equivalent magazines over there in the US?

Thanks,
    David.

24. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    David, if you're interested, I would be happy to contribute an article or two. I'm primarily a portrait shooter and spend a lot of time teaching things like lighting and interacting with subjects. I also teach a lot on establishing personal style.

- CJ

25. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds cool David, I got your email and will reply soon.

Sean

26. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

You guys rock! Your support for this idea has been fabulous and I'm just hoping that I can provide you with the sort of framework you'd like to see in a community magazine. We're also gaining members over on Flickr too and everyone is waiting to see what happens on the 15th January when the first real article goes live.

If you want to contact Creative Image Maker you can - I've set up an email address for the magazine and you can send your comments, articles, images, requests or whatever to creativeimagemaker at yahoo.co.uk (obviously replace the "at" with the usual "@" symbol).

Thanks to all of you - the future's black and white ;-)

David Vickers