New black and white fibre-based papers from Ilford

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Bruce Robbins, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bruce Robbins

Bruce Robbins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ilford has announced two new papers but the information is embargoed until 1 p.m. GMT today. I'll be publishing the news on my website at that time:

www.theonlinedarkroom.com

2. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome awesome awesome news! Yay!

I've been clamoring for a true cool tone paper in FB. Now if only it is available in 16x20, which the RC version is not, we'll be set with warm, neutral and cool papers from Ilford.

I am getting SO tempted to go 100% Ilford just because of their support of us, not to mention the quality of their products. I'd miss Across, Tri-X, TMY-2 and MCC 110, but aside from also wanting to support Adox I'm not sure what the latter would offer that I couldn't get with Ilford papers. I'm seriously thinking of going 100% Ilford at least in the darkroom, with a few other films thrown in. (I like the response of Tri-X in Diafine too much to go to HP-5 but I might ought to reconsider that too. That was based on older Tri-X which got a reliable 1600. Now I only get that in daylight where it isn't really needed. It's more like 800-1000 under tungsten light ... maybe I should compare to HP5 in similar light, hummm.)

5. Bruce Robbins

Bruce Robbins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Ilford!

7. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting. The speed difference for the higher grade filters is much closer to the speed at the lower grade filters. That's been an annoyance with my Zonemaster II because it calculates the exposure at filter 3.5 by averaging the exposures from filters 3 and 4. The actual exposure for filter 3.5 is much closer to 3. With these papers having a much smaller difference, that interpolation might become much more accurate. As it is, I usually just use the exposure value measures at filter 3 for exposures made through a 3.5 filter.

So... Who is going to be the first to calibrate their Zonemaster for the new papers and publish the results for us lazy bastards to copy?

8. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just from looking at the data sheets, the Dmax doesn't look much different from the original MGIV. Whatever they do to get the nice Dmax of MGWT, I wish they could do the same for their neutral toned papers. Maybe they are referring to the Dmax being higher after toning since the new papers apparently tone much more readily than the old.

9. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The curve for the lower contrast grades looks straighter on the new than the old. If so, I consider that a significant improvement all by itself. I'd like to know the details of how that was accomplished. I thought the wavy shape was unavoidable for a triple emulsion VC paper.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  10. Stoo Batchelor

Stoo Batchelor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mmmm!

I think I will hold back on the "whoop, whooping" Ilford Mg4 is such a beautiful paper and I will be sad to see it go. I actually like the fact that it doesn't go crazy in selenium, unlike the Warmtone, which I have never been able to tame. I have also spent many, many hours 'learning' MG4, and finally found a tone in the paper that I loved after many years of printing, and that no other paper could give me. I shall be wearing a black arm band for the rest of the week.

All that said, I do hope that I will be eating my words when I get round to testing the new paper.

Stoo

11. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My goodness! And the characteristic curves for MGIV classic show no mid-tone compression even at grade 00.

I will be ordering this pronto and testing over the holidays. Happy holidays to me!!!!!

12. HARMAN Marketing

HARMAN Marketing Partner Partner

Shooter:
    35mm
    New MULTIGRADE FB COOLTONE is available in 16x20 and 20x24 plus wider rolls

13. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    This is the greatest thing ilford has done in a long time!!! A cool tone FB... I've been waiting a long time!! Thank you ilford!!!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very exiting news. Ilford WT is pretty much my standard paper now apart from old stock that slowly get depleted from the fridge. i wish that the WT paper would keep it's tone as it ages (unexposed) but it does not which makes it impossible to stock up on this paper.

I rarely need or want cooltone but for a wintery snow scene WT just does not look good so i will certainly give this new paper a try.

16. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be getting into cool tone FB as soon as I burn through my stash of regular FB, which will take a while... :smile: Available in matt surface too! Yes! I am going to relish this.

17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see we have our first post from Harman Marketing. In the past it was always Simon Galley in person on all things Harman. I wonder how the role of these two Harman sources will change?

Will Harman Marketing be purely marketing as in new announcements etc and Simon continue to handle other queries and complaints etc?

pentaxuser

18. ooze

ooze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford, thank you!

I hope the price won't shock me.

19. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Always good to see new B&W traditional products!

20. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curves are rather very impressive for 'CoolTone'...I am trying to compare with MCC 110.

21. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    =) I hope you report your findings. I love my Ilford Warmtone but occasionally want a neutral image tone. I was never a fan of MGIV, hopefully I'll be able to use all Ilford papers now.

22. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll basically re-do the flashing tests with it (and possibly cooltone) and compare to the data I got with current MGIV and Gallerie. I'll add toning tests (Selenium only) and maybe SE3 developer similar to the tests I did with MGWT. This should be fun work.

I would have needed to do this anyway as MGIV FB was my primary paper so I'll need to get aquainted with my new paper - MGIV Classic!

23. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome. I'm particularly excited about the Cooltone but will def. try the Classic as well.

Large size availability is great, too!

Thanks, Ilford!

24. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news!

Jeff

25. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, to the extent one can tell from published curves, the FB CT looks much more Tri-X-friendly than the existing MG IV FB or the new MG FB Classic. If that pans out, it will be good news indeed. I'll eagerly look forward to trying it.

26. JW PHOTO

JW PHOTO Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All fine and dandy as long as the price stays in the MGIV price range. I get a little edgy when a company comes out with a "NEW & IMPROVED" product and then dumps the old, well established, well liked old one. Almost always a little upping of the price goes with it too. Remember when Coca-Cola stopped making classic coke for that "NEW & IMPROVED" junk they put out???? We'll see how it goes, but I do think Ilford is a little more classy then to do what Coca-Cola did. JohnW