New book by Chris Jordan - In Katrina's Wake

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by tim atherton, Jul 18, 2006.

1. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think Sam Portera's photos are better and that he deserves a book.

3. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

where's his stuff?

BTW I don't think anyone "deserves" a book - you go out and get one - hustle man... hustle. It's damned hard work

4. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    WHat Tim means is that Jordan buys film but makes big ink jet prints. He once wrote that if you took an 8x10 portion of his 6 foot prints that this portion was as sharp as a contact print.....you be the judge if this is something the analog community wants to support... of course this is once more a post made by Tim so we should not be surprised about the duplicty.

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tim, have a look in the galleries for Sam's work. His APUG ID is "sportera" and he does deserve a book.

Not only has Sam put blood, sweat, and tears in this body of work, but he lived through Katrina and lost everything. He still lives there and actually has to spend a lot of time away from his family because his work is now outside of NOLA.

He deserves a book. Plain and simple.

6. jimcollum

jimcollum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so if there's any digital in the workflow, that should remove a photographer from support in this community? film capture, digital output is a bad thing? also digital capture, analog output? just looking for clarification

jim

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

EXACTLY !

8. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    His Katrina pictures are small, and if I'm not mistaken, Ilfochromes. Maybe Chris is realizing, as are so many of us, where his true loyalties lie?

9. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

No doubt they are really good - in which case they need to be somewhere other than tucked away on APUG. And if he's struggling because of Katrina imo that's where this kind of networking should kick in

10. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    One of the highlights of being an APUG subscriber, for me, has been witnessing the growing body of work by sportera. He didn't fly in for a couple weeks or months of Gatling gun Katrina photography...he lives there and has been taking us along with him to some deeply personal places.

Maybe you should subscribe, and then you can watch history unfold as well.

Murray

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  11. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

The Debris is the nicest stuff. Some of the colour work would be helped by an editor

And he seems to be doing fine on his own - if he's hungry enough he will get it published.

He didn't fly in for a couple weeks or months of Gatling gun Katrina photography...he lives there and has been taking us along with him to some deeply personal places. neither approach guarantees good (or bad) work - we need to see all this stuff we can. One thing photography can and should do is be able to show what a complete pigs ear the place still is (the polite version of the way my friends from NO describe it..) and that it should have been back on its feet months ago.

12. Sportera

Sportera Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No excuses, Tim, I think I'm "hungry" enough but circumstances and the well being of my family has to come first.

I do not wish to explain my/our entire situation but suffice it to say my plate is full.

The book will happen or it won't. I have to focus on the buissiness of recovery, and finding a home for my family.

I will continue, however.

13. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

understandable... to say the least

"Debris" a really rather nice. I would hope there was also enough by way of expertise and contacts on this list to nudge things in the right direction a bit

(I'm working with a small consortium right now to build up a photo book imprint - of course most are also off pursuing a dozen other things as well. If we ever get past our initial test book I'll keep your work at the back of my mind - but don't hold your breath!) And if you're interested, I'll keep it in mind when I'm talking to photo editors?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chris Jordan's images of the aftermath of Katrina are okay but Sam Portera's photographs are incredibly moving, hauntingly beautiful, and poignant!

I'm sure when Sam is ready to publish he will. When he does alot of apug people will be lining up to support Sam. We already do and when the time comes we will buy his book! I'm pretty sure Sam knows we're rooting for him and if he needs help there are lots of people ready to step in if he asks.

16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They're both valid projects, quite different.

Chris Jordan's project covers a rather limited time period and it presents an outsider's perspective, so his book is possible at this point.

Sam Portera's project seems still to be in progress, and I think it will take a longer and more personal view. I wouldn't even expect a book from Sam until people are moved out of their FEMA trailers and into homes of their own.

17. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  18. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think tim atherton is getting only half the story by visiting Sam's website.

As subscribers we see more images here on APUG than Sam has on his website, and we get to read his descriptions of the scenes photographed. Learning how many of these places and objects were of deep, personal importance to him before Katrina struck, allows me to share in his loss on a deeper level than if I saw only the images.

Murray

19. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Murray has brought up an interesting point, and one nice benefit our small community offers. Sam's images have a strength of their own, but to hear and see what was happening brings another dimension to the two dimensions of paper.

It is like looking at Cheryl's images of the infant who passed away shortly after birth. To read about her turmoil and inner conflict prior to the shots, then see the work as it unfolded was a very moving experience for me. For those who may be too new for this exchange and the subsequent pictures, please take a couple of minutes to read the below thread, then look at the image. This is what can be missing by simply viewing an image, no matter how good it is. I still get a lump in my throat from this one. Best to all, tim

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7662
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1153&cat=500&ppuser=629

20. MurrayMinchin

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  21. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

my point exactly - they are both good, equally valid and quite different projects

22. Sportera

Sportera Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don't worry tim, I won't "hold my breath" a lesson well learned from FEMA and the Louisiana Recovery Authority. No one "holds their breath" for much any more down here.

23. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is the general consensus.

24. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

or more correctly, it's your opinion- there being a sub forum to enable such discussion, recognising that it is indeed a grey area

25. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To quote the front page:
    "APUG.ORG is an international community of like minded individuals devoted to traditional (non-digital) photographic processes. "

This is not my opinion, just the foundation that APUG was built on. This has nothing to do with whether or not digital is awesome or if it sucks. APUG is about traditional photographic processes. Plain and simple.

26. jimcollum

jimcollum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that's going to start making it tougher on color printers. scanning and lightjet output is definitely a digital workflow. Very few labs offer enlarged Ciba services anymore.