New book on CD ROM

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by BBarlow690, Jul 13, 2007.

1. BBarlow690

BBarlow690 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Based on the highly-rated materials from Fine Focus Workshops, this 181-page book covers an introduction to large format photography equipment, materials and traditional processes. Based on the idea that techniques should be simple, reliable, and repeatable, the book takes the mystery out of large format photography, the Zone System, and other tools photographers use. Exercises are designed to form good habits when doing mechanical tasks, and can enable any photographer to be familiar and comfortable with large format stuff.

But more than that, author Bruce Barlow (Hey! That's me!) wades into picture-making, discussing composition, Head, Hands and Heart in photography, and gives many exercises for improving one's seeing. In fact, the exercises are at the heart of Finely Focused, and those who do them will see their images improve. Most of these exercises are applicable to any photographic format, even digital image-making.

I think my only mention of digital is that I can start PhotoShop, but can't really use it.

Finely Focused is distributed on CD-ROM in .pdf format, requiring Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher. It's up to you to print any or all of it. So the book is digital, I guess.

Finely Focused also includes the procedures, .1 ND filter and Zone VIII example used in the Film Test Kit, below, so if you buy Finely Focused you do not need the Film Test Kit. The inclusion of the .1 ND and Zone VIII example are what keeps us from making Finely Focused available as a download.

Available at www.circleofthesunproductions.com.

2. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Shouldn't this be in the Classifieds Section?

3. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, I wonder if a person who signs up and takes a workshop, will get a CD to take home?

4. rtuttle

rtuttle Member

Bruce, can we mail a check or money order or is it paypal only? Would rather mail it, as I don't do paypal! thanks.

5. BBarlow690

BBarlow690 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Drew - nope, no longer a freebiw at the workshop.

I didn't think a book was the same as a lens. Seems more like a product to me, rather than a classified.

rtuttle - sure, mail a check to PO Box 10264 Swanzey, NH 03446. Glad to accommodate.

BB

6. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Bruce, how is announcing that your book is now available any different than someone announcing that their lens or photograph is available?

It is really no different than some company using the forums as free advertising instead of buying legitimate ad space. At least paying advertisers post their announcements in the APUG Sponsors' Forum.

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Do these tools work with Velvia as well? :tongue:

:munch:

8. PhotoHistorian

PhotoHistorian Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I second Richard's assessment of the Barlow self promotion of his book. It is indeed, a product for sale and he is advertising its availability. Many in the past have been criticized for the same thing and had their "ads" removed. I suggest what is fair for one is fair for all. If Mr. Barlow would like to use this site for personal gain, let him pay Sean for that privilege.

Walker

9. BBarlow690

BBarlow690 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Roteague: I doubt it. The tools are designed to calibrate black and white, rather than color, materials. I defer to friend Ted Harris, but I think he'd agree.

To the others: Thank you for sharing. If Sean decides to remove this, it's his choice. Welcome to the traditional photographic community. I appreciate your efforts to enlarge it.

10. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I view APUG as a source of information including announcements of new papers, chemicals, books, etc..; so I welcome Mr Barlow's announcement. Hopefully, people won't have to resort to getting others to review their books so that they can add buying info to the thread.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about a compromise? Require Mr. Barlow to be a subscriber, and permit him to both put his announcement in the classifieds, and start a single thread directing people there.

Matt

12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mr Barlow has mentioned his book once, if he hadn't we wouldn't know about it unless we subscribe to other Forums.

At least he has the decency to admit he may haver transgressed. Another member constantly posts links to his semi-commercial website and the moderators while quite aware don't seem to care, despite the fact he trolls the site with a vengeance.

Ian

13. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It was a joke Bruce, an inside joke. APUG tends to be very B&W centered at times, and those of us who shoot primarily color can sense it.