New camera for weddings...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Ellenmarie, May 22, 2006.

1. Ellenmarie

Ellenmarie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The latch on my Nikon F100 just broke. Camera is only 4 years old...the latch broke on my N80 last year at approximately the same age. Am I just hard on my cameras? All my lenses are Nikon, but I am rethinking buying another Nikon. I will get this one repaired, but need another camera for my wedding season.

I also have an FM10 which I bought to replace my Pentax K1000 when it could no longer seem to be repaired. I guess I'm thinking of something that has the option for auto exposure and focusing.

Should I try a rangefinder...try a medium format.. a Pentax? I still have two bayonet type lenses for Pentax.

I shoot weddings, portraits....as well as 'fine art' personal work.. use my Mamiya for those more.

I've been searching and reading anything already posted on the forum re: cameras but now feel more confused. Maybe I should just get another Nikon.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get another F100 or repair the broken one instead of searching for magic bullets, all cameras will break with heavy use... You have done great work with a F100 so far, no point in changing IMHO.

3. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    F4 or F5

Given that you seem to be hard on your tools, I'd recommend pro quality bodies. I'd look at used F4 or F5 bodies. The prices on these are really coming down. You already have Nikon AF glass, so that makes sense.

4. Ellenmarie

Ellenmarie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I was going to get the F100 repaired, but it won't get back to me in time for the next wedding. Do you mean there are no magic bullets??!! lol.

I had thought of adding an F5 or F6 so this might be the perfect time. Thanks so much for your thoughts! And for your compliment, Amund.

5. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go with an f6. It's phenomenal. The f5 is nice, but the new autofocus cam and sensor points in the f6 make it worth the price difference (IMO).

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Agreed. The other thing to consider is size and weight. The F5 is a big, heavy camera, a lot more than the F100. I can't say about the F6; it looks a bit smaller than the F5.

7. Ellenmarie

Ellenmarie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good to know that about the F6...thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2006
  8. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a F4 and it is a work horse, very rugged. I still have it, unable to think about giving it up but really use mostly MF. The F4 is large and heavy compared to the newer cameras but it still works great.

9. joneil

joneil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll probally burn in hell for saying this, but the only camerra I would ever use anymorefor any wedding is one that silently shots tranquilizer darts into the camera party, and doesn't wear off for a looooong time.
    :smile:

On a more serious note, the most bullet proof Nikon I have ever used - and still own - is the FM2. Totally mechanical and manual - which is not always the best thing to have at a wedding to be sure, autofocus and autoexposure comming in very handy at a wedding, but before I moved up to LF, I put my Nikon FM and FM2s through a world of hurt, and both are still chugging along just fine. IMO, comparing the FM10 to a FM2 in terms of durability is like comparing a Humvee to an Abrams. Worth a look at a good, used one if you ever get a chance.

joe

10. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Compared to the F100, the F5 is a magic bullet !

It is an awesome camera, and basically free on Ebay.

I can't say too much about the F5.

11. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ellenmarie,
    Many of the wedding shooters in the Chicagoland area use the Nikon N90 or N90s. A few less bells & whistles than the F100 but very reliable.

12. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Why don't you see if you can rent one from Calumet or somewhere else first? As much as I love my F5, I wouldn't suggest you get one until you see how big and heavy they are, and see if you are comfortable using it.

13. Shawn Mielke

Shawn Mielke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's another vote towards the F6. I haven't shot with the F5, and I haven't photographed weddings (video, yes), but I'm shooting other kinds of events enough to thoroughly appreciate the F6's size and sophistication, as well as it's relative quietude.

14. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a F100 for weddings and find it great and very reliable. I have a FM2 as a back up and agree that an F5 would be a good choice as they are cheap second hand- God bless digital!

15. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji S3 as most use here in EU for weddings meanwhile, you can use all your Nikkors!
    Most of my clients only want Digital of there weddings, its cheaper without film use!
    So I have now a set for Negs and a set for Digis!
    Its also for me not to bad you just see what you get on the monitor!
    I just did my second one in digital, sorry to tell you this!

16. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the metal-bodied Nikons - F4s, F5, or F6. When all else fails, sturdy enough to give the bride's mother a good whomp up side the head (with it held at full length of the strap!). :wink:

17. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Then why tell us. FWIW, you say your clients want digital, OK, there is a new invention called a film scanner.

18. Ellenmarie

Ellenmarie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks again to everyone... I have a reprieve of sorts I think. Found a place that has promised my F100 back to me before next weekend. Hope it's true. But I'm still looking forward to adding to my collection now. Just won't feel as rushed and will have time to play before trusting something fully!

Re: digital thoughts... I'm truly committed to my film :wink: and am just so thankful we have this forum. I do realize that digital is working well for many. I'm often surprised by the people that - even though they know I'm all film - think that I have digital answers for them. Like where do I buy a battery for my digital camera... how do I do this with my digital camera??!! Funny...

19. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ellen,

I applaud your decision to stick with what you like. There are too many photographer that go along like a herd of cattle, because "everyone else is" is doing it. You may have to turn down a few jobs, but if you stick with your principles, you will win out in the end - mediocrity is what awaits those who compromise.

20. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert just to let you know whats going on in the world;-))
    To go digital via scannes does not make sence for weddings!
    I can now make booth sides the old way and the new way and it holds my brain fresh to handle booth!
    I would also prefer film but the costumer is the king not me!

21. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What latch are you refering to?

22. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Ellen,

I applaud your decision to stick with what you like. There are too many photographer that go along like a herd of cattle, because "everyone else is" is doing it. You may have to turn down a few jobs, but if you stick with your principles, you will win out in the end - mediocrity is what awaits those who compromise."

Hi Robert
    For a short while it will work but not for the future, of course there will be always some retro fans like you and me, but I'm quit sure on the long run she will loose to much costumers!
    Thats just a hard fact! If you like it or not!
    Take care, Armin

23. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ellenmarie,

The advice given is smart, I would stick with what you know and trade up to say an F5 or if your budget can swing it a F6. I admire you aim for perfection even though your clients would rather be content with digital files which sadly may not be accessable ten years from now. I have two friends who shoot weddings and both are about 90% digital in total output.

Bill

24. RMP-NikonPro

RMP-NikonPro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interested to Know, how did it all work out?

New F6, or F5? or did you eventually go Digital?

Russ :confused:

25. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I can see no posts from the OP since 2006 so either she needs no more analogue advice or you can guess which of the options she chose:sad:

pentaxuser