New Camera, now the search for film begins.....

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shootar401, May 18, 2013.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was out cycling today, about 15 miles from the house when I rode by a yard sale, I usually don't pay much attention to them, but I noticed an enlarger on one of the tables so I figured an enlarger usually means good stuff.

I get off my bike and give my legs a little break from cycling against the wind for the past 40 minutes, not to mention that big a$$ hill I just went up. Made a bee line to the enlarger and it looked decent, I couldn't find a name on it, but it has seen better days. I noticed some Nikon SLR's, an FM (I think) and an EM. A few E-series lenses and this Eastman box, I wonder what kind of random spare parts are in here? Oh, wait! It its heavy. It's gotta be something good. And indeed it was. A new in box, totally unused Kodak Junior Six-16. I thought they would want a little change for that, I was thinking $20, hoping to settle on $10 because thats all I had with me. I ask the lady and she says "Thats old, nobody shoots that anymore, but it will look good on your bookshelf if you need a decoration" I ask her how much and she says "2 bucks" I gave her the $10 and said "thanks" Tucked it into the back of my cycling jersey and started home. The longest ride of my life it seemed like.

I know 616 film is pretty much non existent, but I was hoping there was some sort of modification I can do the my 120 spools to allow me to use 120 film. Nothing that damages or alters the camera. It's a freaking beauty, I almost don't want to use it.

photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    photo 5.JPG

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there are more elaborate ways, but i went to the hardware store and found some round dealies with a threaded piece of steel in the middle that make excellent spacers to hold 120 in a 116 space, same should work for 616.

Lovely find, you are right, it is almost wrong to use it, but you should.

3. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I believe there's a thead on here about that. Find it and read-up. I remember as being very informative. It was maybe a month ago, but don't remember exactly how to find it for you.

4. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad the camera isn't a 620. That would only require re-spooling 120 film onto 620 spools.
    In a 616 camera, 70mm film can be used, but you'll need to find/make backing paper plus a supply of 616 spools.
    The camera can be [reversibly] modified for 120 film; see PDF link, inside the below link.
    http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/Kodak616.htm

Lots of hoops to jump through.
    Nice find, though.

Marc

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Google 616 film, lots of ideas on respooling to use 616 and even shimming with 120.

6. heterolysis

heterolysis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You paid less than the original price tag, not even considering inflation...What a steal!

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. bernard_L

bernard_L Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford is taking orders for its annual "ULF" production, that includes 70mm unperforated.
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=137
    Good advice on that bnphoto site.
    Just adapting to 120 spools will leave the long edges of the film unsupported across the film chamber; if you choose to go that route, be sure to advance the film just before taking each picture to minimize slack.

9. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Absolutely splendid! I just love seeing things like this - it's like a time machine. :smile:

Now go make some pictures!

10. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently shot some rolls with an older similar format Kodak- a #3. It was pretty simple to adapt 120 to work. A couple of spare 120 donor spools to cut up for adapters, a short piece of aluminum tubing from a hobby shop and a small rectangle of styrene for an advancing paddle to fit in the slot of the end of a spool. Some Cyanoacrylate glue held the bits together. To keep the film flat I used some basswood from the hobby shop but you could easily use some plastic from the recycle bin. I used a removable glue (rubber cement) to hold the plastic when reducing the opening, sand the plastic to create a tooth for the glue to take. Some gaffers tape to secure it as well. It should pop off easily and leave no trace.
    IMG_9672.jpg IMG_9670.jpg kodak3.jpg

11. 131802

131802 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was hoping to read how you got that enlarger home on your bike.

12. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the good ideas, yeah I was going to go back and grab the enlarger and 35m stuff, but I don't shoot 35mm more than once a year. So I figured I'd leave it for someone else that might get more use out of it.

Thinking of getting some adapters 3D printed if I can find a place to do it cheaply. I already measured the spools and camera so now its just a matter of designing it. In the meantime I have some 120 spools I can cut up and make an adapter with.