New exhibit at the smithsonian!!!!

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by TheFlyingCamera, Apr 14, 2011.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Scott, for the info. I'll be in the area near end of show, and will try to catch it.

3. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm, looks awesome...but I have to say...what a silly last name!

4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice find, Scott--that one came out of nowhere. It looks great. I've seen some of Käsebier's prints in other shows and they were really nice, but I haven't seen any of the Sioux Indian images. Plus some cameras and studio equipment--that's always cool. I might try going this Saturday morning if you're interested in meeting up.

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would love to see her work in person, and not just from books. Unfortunately, Washington, D.C. is just too far away for me.

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Barry- I can't make any promises for my schedule this weekend yet- I have to evict my ex from the house tonight and I don't know if it will get done by tomorrow morning or not. If you want, call my cell before you head out the door and if I can make it, I will...

7. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  8. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Scott-- Oy, that sounds like great fun. If I end up going I'll give you a call.

Jim--thanks, didn't know about that one either, so I'll definitely make it a two-fer.

9. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I visited both the Käsebier and Baltz exhibits today. The Käsebier show was a bit of a letdown. The Sioux Indian portraits are not really her strongest work--artistically or technically. Part of the problem was the Ripley Gallery--it's a poorly lit cavernous space and didn't serve the intimately-sized images (WP and smaller) very well. The portraits were mostly shot in Käsebier's NY studio on a single day, and while she managed to get some nice shots--the quality was uneven and it was clear the session was rushed. The promised historical camera and studio equipment was nowhere to be found. The exhibit is worth going to, but not going out of your way to see. I felt like the curation and presentation weren't as strong as they could have been.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the Lewis Baltz exhibit at the NGA. The photographs are very formal and precise expressions of the New Topographic movement, but also influenced by abstraction and minimalism. The exhibit is mostly silver gelatin prints--looking like 8x10 contact prints or possibly medium format enlargements--in any case the print quality is very rich. The curation was nicely done, although I disliked the inclusion of a room-sized mural from Baltz's later work.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011