New experience with particles

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by FRANOL, May 19, 2012.

1. FRANOL

FRANOL Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have develop old "no name" (bulk) ortho 135 film with fresh POTA and fresh TF-2.When film was still wet there was plenty small particles (0.1-0.3 mm) all over film.Can't be crystals because fresh chemistry (14 hrs).After short investigation conclusion was that perforating machine didn't work properly and there is a still particles in perforations.Good point is that there is no scratches on film. Never saw this before.

2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If its from bad perforation be careful using it in cameras as bits can jam a shutter.

Best thing you can do now is try a very agitated pre rinse before dev, to remove as much as possible to prevent those particles messing with development because of surface contact.

3. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    But, man, those particles probably have already done the deed... You probably have white specks on the negs.

4. FRANOL

FRANOL Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Negatives are ok, because this particles sink on the bottom during developing.When I finish with fixer than they stay on the wet film.It is bulk film so it is possible to clean before put in to spool.

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you pull your leader out or when you tape the end to the cassette/magazine spool do you notice the particles near the sprocket holes?

If you don't it could just be particulate or undesolved chemicals. If that's the case you can strain them before you pour them in.

6. FRANOL

FRANOL Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't notice any particles until I hang wet film.There was a still particles in few perforation because perforation machine didn't cut properly.But like I said it's ok because negatives are clear from scratches.

7. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    But if there are loose particles arround, they may have landed on thefilm surface beofre exposure thus causing a blank spot in the image becasue it did net get exposed as the speck was blocking the light.

8. FRANOL

FRANOL Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have found some particles in film loader,few in camera and the rest of particles are separate from perforation during developing.I have testing one film with POTA and Rodinal and both piece of film are ok.Just lucky :confused: