New feature!, integrate your ebay listings within apug

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Guys, You'll notice I have a little ebay logo by my name now, and if you click it, it shows my ebay listings within the apug site. The nifty thing about this, is that it is part of an ebay affiliate program so apug can get kickbacks from the activity on ebay when using member's ebay links via apug ($0.10 for each bid or Buy It Now transaction that is referred from apug and $20 or so for new ebay signups). I am out of time to do much testing with it. If you would like to add this it is very easy. Just go to your apug profile and there is a new field "Your_EBAY_User_ID", just put in your ebay name. I am not sure if it always shows the ebay icon next to your name, or if it only shows it when you have auctions running (haven't tested it yet). Ideally it would not show the ebay logo if you have no auctions running, but not sure it is that smart, would appreciate if someone could test that. If it's not that smart you can always remove your ebay name from your profile, and then when you run some actions add it back to your profile so people know you have some auctions listed. I will make a more subdued ebay logo soon because it's a bit of an eye sore. Let me know if you have any problems running it, or what you think. I think it's kind of neat. Thanks!

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Testing, testing...

I know I have no ebay auctions running - someone on apug always wants what I'm planning to sell!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2005
  3. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ole! Well, I guess people will need to just update their profile to get the most out of using the function. I'll see if the coder can mod it to disappear if no auctions are listed.

4. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should also be able to create a single page that loads all of the apug members ebay auctions in one spot (well the ones who add their ebay names to their profile), then have a link to that page in the classifieds area for anyone who wants to view apug ebay listings..

5. MikeS

MikeS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sean:

I added my ebay ID, and it goes to the page that explains the affiliate program (how much you get for bids, buy-it-nows, new members, etc) followed by a listing of items I'm selling. I would suggest just removing the stuff about how much you get, etc, and changing the text to something like "Here are this APUG Member's current auctions" possibly mentioning that if no items appear then the member isn't currently selling anything.

-Mike

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Profile edited.

It's a nice idea this - I feel "safer" buying from other apuggers.

Maybe there could be an option for buyers as well - I try to avoid outbidding other apuggers if I know they have been asking about something, or need it more than I do. Like old lenses and such, I guess...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2005
  7. MikeS

MikeS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you can do that, it would be really cool. I know I would certainly check there before my usual checking of ebay itself! You might want to see if there's a way you could also have a page that would basically go to eBay's photo section in general, so that then any bids placed on any items (not just other apug members items) could get you the credit. I don't know if eBay will let you do that or not, but if so, it would be a good thing.

If you can do that, then perhaps you could setup a page that would offer 3 options, 1 would be 'Internal' which would then go to the current for sale section of apug, 2 would be member's ebay auctions, and 3 would be ebay's photo section

Or something or other like that, I think you know what I'm talking about. (I think I know what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure!) :smile:

8. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike, I have removed that text, looks much better. From what I can tell if people use that search box on the apug ebay bar, then we get credit for whatever it leads to. I'll hone this thing up this week so we can get the best use out of it. Yikes! midnight already, better get some sleep!

9. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a great idea. I haven't found where you hid the general link through to Ebay yet, but I did post a heads up for an enlarger I saw and remembered a member asking about one. Now how do I tell them to get there?

10. ggriffi

ggriffi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gary,

Go to "Edit My Profile". The ebay box is at the bottom of the page.

g

11. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that turns on your Ebay link. That only works for your own sales, not for a heads up on an item. I wanted the link you would use to jump to Ebay through Apug and buy things with the kickback for Sean.

12. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Way Too Cool Sean! Thanks. That's a real nifty link.

13. abeku

abeku Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent initiative, Sean. It's always nice to buy from other dedicated APUG'ers!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. thedarkroomstudios

thedarkroomstudios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean,
    Looks great. Easy to use and a no-brainer for anyone looking to sell something and support Apug at the same time. We get the best of both worlds, the ability to infrom our fellow members here and submit our wares to other buyers on eBay. In case anyone missed it I'll toss a little cross-thread promo in here to also check out Sean's new feedback section in the classifieds.

-Brad

16. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean,

I think it's a pretty good idea, too. Especially if APUG can get some reveune from eBay.

My only concern is that we'll lose our previous identity or focus and become an advertisement for eBay, or a mini-eBay? I hate to see people joining APUG for the sole purpose of selling items.

Would/could eBay display an "APUG" symbol on the eBay site, next to eBay seller names?

17. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sean, no offense but I preferred buying from APUGers. eBay isn't alway the best way to go (I've had some bad experiences).

18. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you would still be buying from apug members, all you are seeing is a link to their listings when you click their ebay icon. If you mean purchasing something from an apug member vs. outside of ebay then you could PM them and discuss their listing, if they want to make different payment arrangements etc..

19. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    So is this thing working? I currently have 10 auctions up on Ebay...but they do not show up when you click on the Ebay link next to my name.

This however is a GREAT idea! A+++++

Thanks so much.

Ryan McIntosh

20. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see your auctions fine when I click your link. Do you have any type of ad blocking software? It might consider the ebay frame which loads as hostile or something?

21. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Oh wow! Now it is showing up for me, after I signed into Ebay in a second window. Does the person have to be signed into Ebay for them to show up as link on the APUG site?

Maybe it just took a few minutes to finally kick in, because no one elses were showing up either.

Thanks Sean! GREAT IDEA!

Ryan

22. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I can see my own auctions now...but I cannot see anyone elses. I KNOW for a fact that Alex has his prints listed on Ebay right now...but they do not show up for me when I click the Ebay logo under his name. Hmmmmmm...

23. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think it just takes a few minutes to kick in. That's what happened when I added my eBay link to my profile.

24. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe restart your browser, i also saw alex's prints

25. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David are you running any auctions right now? if so I can't see them yet, hmm

26. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, I'm not running any auctions at the moment.