New Figure magazine?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Robert Brummitt, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Has anyone seen or looked at this magazine, "Carrie Leigh's Nude"? Its in its fourth issue. This is the first time I seen it. I went to the website and it's a strictly black and white magazine from what I can see. It's issues have Leonard Nimoy and Lucien Clergue photography and this issue and the last one has interviews with Kim Weston.
    The price is $9.95 but before I plunk down the money I wanted to see if anyone else had bought it or seen it. It's packaged in plastic so I can't bourse before buying.
    Give me your thoughts, Please. It reminds me of another magazine long ago published and edited by photographer Jeff Dunas. That magazine introduced me to Brett Weston's underwater images.:smile::smile:

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Carrie Leigh's Nudes is a beautifully printed magazine of extremely well done B&W nudes. Carrie, by the way, has a beautiful body herself!

3. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I know I'm going to sound really old and live in a cave but who is Carrie Leigh anyway?

4. Joel Adams

Joel Adams Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can take my opinion with a little bias...
    1) I am an artist who's work has appeared in Carrie Leigh's NUDE.
    2) I have known Carrie and Her husband for a few years.
    3) Though I do not "work" for them, I recently rebuilt their website.
    4) I have my own blog for my work where I do a lot of praising of the magazine...

That said... If you can still at this point trust my artistic opinion...

Carrie Leigh's NUDE is a really beautifully put together magazine. It is a portable art show displaying the work of some really amazing photographers from around the world. It is not packed full of advertisements and filler article. The quality is art book printing, not magazine printing. The cover is not just a glossy paper stock like most magazines, it is a softcover book stock. And on a side note, just from personal experience trying to dismantle and issue so I could scan something for the website, the binding glue is strong.

My father is a comic book artist and publisher (Neal Adams). I showed him the first issue, his first response was "How much is this costing them?"

It is a really beautiful product from the work inside to the magazine itself. I have said often in my blogs that in my opinion, it is not a magazine, but a quarterly coffee table book. I am proud to have my work appear in it. I have not yet heard a complaint about it... (other than "They are all sold out!").

Have a preview: http://www.carrieleigh.com/Nissues.html

Joel Adams (<--Still uses an ancient Pentax K1000)

PS Jim... You are absolutely right... On both counts.

5. Joel Adams

Joel Adams Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I must be from a deeper darker cave.. I didnt know who Kim Weston, or Lucien Clergue was before NUDE.. Then I am a traditional artist who dabbles in photography.

Joel

6. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    See. Now I know Neal Adams! Grew up with his artwork. Got a kick watching "Birds of pray" superhero series on WB. The girls were fighting the badguys on "Adams Blvd and Kirby Lane" I about fell out of my seat with that.

7. Joel Adams

Joel Adams Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    He he... I noticed that too.. To bad that show was cancelled.. It sucked.. bit I loved it.

Joel

8. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd be interested in back issues of the magazine. The one with Nimoy and Clergue. I like Luciens work never seen Nimoys except in one book. Wonder where I can get those?

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    One of Nimoy's models used to post on APUG

10. pesphoto

pesphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ...did she post nude?

11. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    She now works mainly as a photographer and was instrumental in Nimoy s book Full Body Project, tho not as a model...I believe there was some unwarranted dialog here and sadly she faded away from the forum...quite a loss In my not so humble opinion. She is a very talented lady, and a fine artist. Google Zoe Wiseman Photography for more info on her work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  12. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. What's even more pathetic is that those that were hounding her aren't even on APUG any more and she would have made a fine long lasting asset on APUG. She's also a staunch traditional film supporter.

She's got a pretty good forum site at: http://www.communityzoe.com/

Regards, Art.

13. Joel Adams

Joel Adams Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is the snag.. The magazines sell out so fast. I dont know what they actually have for back issues other than the collectors boxed edition they are offering. I know even I have asked about the 3rd issue and was told that all they had left were being put into the collectors set. I saw one in an online shop and on ebay going for $30. You could write them to see if any have come back maybe?

Joel

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If those who chased her away are gone maybe someone from APUG should build a bridge to see if she wold like to come back.

To bad about the back issues. I don't think I'll buy the box set. I was interested in Leonard Nimoy because I know someone up here who says she help teach Mr. Nimoy to photograph the figure.
    She was taught by Ruth Bernhard.

16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't checked to see if she's still lurking, but she's welcome back anytime.

17. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe Joel could contact her on our behalf. I would like to hear more of her story. How she got into publishing and so forth.

18. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember Zoe, a very interesting person. Too bad a bunch of eggheads drove her from APUG.

gene

19. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I always liked her work and would enjoy seeing her back.

20. Joel Adams

Joel Adams Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are we talking Carrie.. Or Zoe... I do not know Zoe, and getting Carrie to a forum? I am not sure if she would. I could ask her.

Joel

21. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, don't force it. If she is interested in sharing her thoughts about publishing thats great or about her photography thats fine too. I guess tomorrow I'll walk over to the local B&N and drop a ten spot and see what this magazine is all about.

22. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I wish I could get hold of the first two issues. I'll have to check out the website. :D

23. Krockmitaine

Krockmitaine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, we can always sign a petition of people interested in seeing her back. No invitation, no obligations. More like an invitation, a reminder that she is free to come back, or lurk for a while. Just something saying "Hey, we the undersigned are serious students of photography and would like to hear your point of view and would like to see you back to APUG."

Just a thought
    Marc

24. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marc, it's a nice idea. But anyone who
    posts nudes on APUG quickly learns that
    this is a pretty hostile site for nude work
    and the attacks become ugly and personal
    very quickly.

Sanders

25. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't know about that. I see a lot of figure work in the Apug gallery. Maybe its the style of figure work that she (Carrie) does. I like to think that the majority of the Apug membership is more open now then when Carrie was around.
    Thinking about further I know that we are a better organization then some others. I posted work on another website by Martha Casanave and got band and told never to post anything like that again. But, this website posts work of couples making far more suggested poses clothed then Martha's straight figure work.