New film - Rollei RPX 25

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by tsiklonaut, Dec 17, 2013.

1. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's just been an annoucement that there'll be an addition to the Rollei RPX series, this time it's an ASA 25 version. Looks like more technical-type of film to me, I really liked their ORT25 film so would be interesting to how this new film renders b&w images.

From Macodirect:

[​IMG]

Newest addition to the popular RPX family: Rollei RPX 25.

With the Rollei RPX 25, we have a low-speed panchromatic black and white film with a nominal sensitivity of ISO 25/15 ° in our product range again.
    The Rollei RPX 25 is characterised by a high sensitivity reserve of one f-stop, depending upon development. The thin-section document-emulsion is poured onto a highly transparent base and offers an extraordinary sharpness, with finest grain.

Has anyone tried it yet? I wonder what that particular "extraordinary sharpness" translates into. Or is it Agfa APX 25 rebadged?

I know it's for sale starting with January 2014, but hoping maybe someone "insider" can already give some thoughts on this :smile:

Cheers,
    Margus

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  2. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It says "Pan", so it doesn't sound like a tech film., they already have ATP film and if it's APX 25, it's getting pretty old. I think that was discontinued in '01. Could it be leftover Efke 25?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It neither ATP, nor APX 25, nor Efke 25.

It is RPX 25, a brand new film specially made for Rollei.

4. Alpenhause

Alpenhause Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! Who is making this film for Rollei?

5. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's good news. As said I always liked low-ASA films, so if it's a brand new design film it's starting to sound real promising now :munch:

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can anyone explain in practical terms what a "high sensitivity reserve of one f-stop, depending on development" actually means?

Thanks

pentaxuser

7. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    probably means you can shoot it at 50 :whistling:

8. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds to me like it mean's it's a technical film that's very high contrast in normal developers, but of course I could be wrong. The sentence as written really doesn't make any sense.

Calling it "pan" in no way means it's not a technical film, it just means it's sensitive to the entire visual spectrum. Tech Pan was expanded panchromatic sensitivity with extended red.

9. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting the german version of the text calls it "a high resolution and high acutance silver rich thin layer emulsion on a clear base. with one stop speed reserve" no reference to it being a document/technical film must be the translation. It doesn't seem to require a special developer to get normal contrast so maybe it's really a slow speed normal contrast emulsion if this is true than Rollei has my deepest respect.

10. JW PHOTO

JW PHOTO Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree! I really like PanF when I want "slow", but it would be really nice to have a little different alternative. I'm sure it will cost folks in the states just a little more, but it just might be worth it. I know I'll give it a go just to see. JohnW

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    What those posting since my question have said is what I had assumed was meant by the sentence I quoted namely: it means that it can be exposed at EI 50 without any or only minimal loss of shadow detail. Presumably there must be some loss, otherwise it may as well be classified as ISO 50 and not 25 unless Rollei feels that there is a marketing advantage to label it as 25. However the use of the word development without adding the word "times" leaves uncertainty and quite what "development" means cannot be deduced without some form of specification sheet.

So do you simply change developer, development regime as in agitation frequency, extend development or do you use the same development times as you do with T-Max 400 when it is rated at 800?

pentaxuser

12. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Damn I really want to get my hands on some to try this.

13. Axle

Axle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    *looks towards Freestyle*

I'd love to give this a shot!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There probably is, actually. Like years ago when FP4 was rated at 64 then magically went up to 125 (so I've heard, I think it was before I was born).
    Calling something '25' may actually have marketing benefit, even if it's a 50 that looks good pulled down a stop. I know I'm suckered in, especially if it's re-hashed APX25 (and even if it's not).
    It's always nice to have new products coming out, especially 'special purpose' like high or low speed. Hell, I'm happy that at least someone is still thinking of film at all.

16. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As one who still has a few rolls of APX25 and Agfapan 25 left in 120 I hope this is similar.

17. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Comparing the developing times it look like a derivate of PAN F. Rollei doesn't produce film. If they would, and the would create a new one: Would that film be only available in 120?

18. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recall a questionnaire here on Apug about the possibility of Delta 25 by Simon. I read that Harman worked with Efke and Maco to produce the RPX 100 and 400 range. Which was said to be similar to Kentmere.

It'd be cool to have a epitaxial 25 speed film. Either way I want to get my hands on some.

19. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Adox CMS 20 II by another name?

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm gonna try some!

Jeff

21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That the German and English descriptions at the Maco site deviate that much is a bad sign from the start.
    Let's wait for the data sheet to show up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  22. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My understanding is that the changes of speed rating which applied to all films at the time (was it the late 60's of 70's?) were the result of changes in measuring definitions by the relevant Standards Organisations (probably ASA and DIN ratings at that time). There were no actual changes in the emulsions.

I think it has been said that it was to allow for the more accurate meters and cameras which were becoming available, which made the previous allowance to avoid the risk of underexposure no longer necessary..

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perfectly right. That change for ASA and DIN took place in 1960 rsp. 1961.

24. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    According to the Macodirect newsletter I just read, RPX 25 is being introduced in both 120 and 135 formats.
    Also the existent RPX100 and 400 get a "face-lit" by being packed in boxes! Great to see boxed rolls again!
    The entire RPX family in new boxes will be available from January 2014.

Given that both RPX100 and 400 are coated by Harman/Ilford Photo, I wouldn't be surprised if RPX 25 is made by the same people.

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One could think so. And that packaging leads in the same direction. But not the colourless base.

26. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So its......................... Pan F?

Best regards