New flash drained battery, help!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by joewp, Feb 8, 2010.

1. joewp

joewp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

This is my first post to the forum, I will introduce myself in a moment over there, but I've got a question first.

I have a Yashica TL electro, that I've been playing with a little bit for a couple of months. Now, I really am JUST getting into photography, so I don't know what happened here but...

I purchased a Holga flash model 235B, and when I put it in the shoe, I took one shot, and it zapped my battery. Is this because I did not plug it into the X or FP spot? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

2. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Cold (?) shoes were made where the sides did not protrude far enough to touch the electrical contacts inside the flash "foot". There should be no electrical path.

It may be that either your new flash or your camera does not comply with that design and putting the flash onto the camera did, indeed, short out the contacts and drain the battery. (you may try a piece of electrical tape on the shoe to insulate the contacts)

This is from my observation in the past and I hope more knowledgeable posters can offer more information.

3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not familiar with the exact geometries in play here, but I am aware that there can be problems.

On some of my old cameras care must be taken when sliding a flash in that it is not slid into the shoe too far, so that the central contact comes in contact with the metal chassis that lives beyond the centre contact area.

The other challlenge I have is rememebering to first insert the little 'bypass the hot shoe contact, I will use the pc socket instead' cord into the side of the shoe before sliding the flash into a camera that only incorporates a cold shoe flash mount bracket.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Shorting out the contacts of a hotshoe flash with a plain metal accessory shoe will not flatten the battery. All it will do is fire the flash (if it is charged) when you fit it to the camera.

It may stop the flash from working via a sync. lead though.

Steve.