"New" FM2, Focus Screen Question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by RattyMouse, May 19, 2013.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have bought a "new" FM2(N i think) and I'm wondering if there is any way to tell which focusing screen is in this camera? I want to determine what I have got, and whether or not there is a different screen to that is better to make manual focusing easier. I have never had a camera with interchangeable screens before so you can safely assume that I know nothing about this.

I want the best screen because I have a 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens and I want to be able to shoot it wide open as accurately as possible.

Thanks!

2. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the K style screen in mine and it is great for nailing focus.

4. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also have an FM2N and a 50mm f/1.2 AIS, and I opted for an E3 screen. This works fine for me, even wide open. I'm lucky enough to still have my eyesight, though.

5. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have read several times the descriptions of each of these screens but for the life of me I dont understand which one to choose!!

6. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well, then you'll have to trust me--go B3 and never look back (you will only see your eye upside down and tiny if you do)

my eyes are not worth the paper this thread is printed on and i can still use B3 with 50/1.2 wide open

(nothing wrong with the stock K2 either; missed focus will be in your technique, not in the screen)

:cool:

7. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The K style split prism rangefinder is IMO the easiest to judge precise focus with. Line up the images on either side and you are done, no guessing.

It makes manual focus a joy.

8. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also think the K is easiest. However, I had a B screen on a recent camera and that was wonderfully uncluttered.

9. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Had the same experience with my FE2. B screen is great, although I'd still go for the stock K screen.