New formulations from Impossble

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by adelorenzo, Sep 29, 2013.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Impossible announced that they are launching a new improved color film and are working on a new B&W. This forum won't let me embed the tweets but here is a screenshot from today:

Attached Files:

2. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its about time. Most of their product has not been nearly as good as original sx70 film.

3. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Each iteration does get better...some of them have been big improvements. The Color Protection series is now arguably better than any of the expired original Polaroid film you may find, unless it has been stored impeccably.

I'd say they are doing a fine job for having to completely reverse engineer something that complex.

4. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree with Fixcinater. As an engineer, I am amazed that they are doing as well as they are. Looking forward to the new film.

5. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I visited the factory in Enschede, The Netherlands. It was quite impresive to see how they managed to get all the old machines from the 1970's up and running.

6. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film quality now is good, only thing is price: 20 euros for 8 pictures - while fuji instax wide is around 1 euro for 1 picture.

7. sandholm

sandholm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SX 70 image area 7.9 x 7.9 = 62.41 cm(2)
    Fuji instax image area = 4.6 x 6.2 = 28.52 cm(2)

SX 70: price per image/cm(2) = 2.5/62.41 = 0.040
    Fuji instax: price per image/cm(2) = 1/28.52 = 0.035

So the price difference between the two image format is not that far apart.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Instax size you give is for the Instax Mini format.

"Large" Instax Wide is 6.2x9.9cm = 61.38cm²
    Price per Instax image /cm² = 1/61.38 = 0.016

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  9. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I support impossible project - I got a pioneer status long time ago. What they have and fuji does not are B&W film and cool cameras. I use instax, instax mini and impossible films.
    But if fuji decide to introduce new instax wide camera that will look cool (like new beautiful instax mini 90) - and if they introduce B&W instax film -then impossible project will have no future.

10. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well Fuji do still sell one black & white peel apart instant film, so must have the know how to do a B & W instax film if they chose. However as apparently they couldn't make a profit from their excellent Neopan 400 35mm film, I can't see them introducing a B & W film in instax formats. So I don't think the Impossible Project have anything to fear.

11. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Two completely different technologies. The B&W peel apart is based on Polaroid technology; the integral picture unit Instax is based on Kodak Instant Film technology.

12. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The one thing I take away from this is I'm really glad to hear that IP is committed to improving their product. They've come a long way but obviously still a lot of room to improve. The test shots they posted from the new 600 film do show a lot better colour than the old stuff.

13. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I think Fuji makes more money with their FP series because they are the only ones doing it and the Instax arent selling as much. At least they released a new mini cam. Maybe that'll spark some interest.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Instax has to be selling waaaay more than the FP film. You can find Instax film in stores all over China. It is EVERYWHERE. It is almost like the old days in that you can just pop into a store and grab some film on the fly.

Even in the camera malls there are maybe one or two stores with a few boxes of FP film in stock. It's not even close.

16. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd be lucky to find any FP in local stores here. I've actually seen them in two local photo speciality stores. One is pretty much film gear only (used mostly). I have seen some mini Instax in stores like Target, but I think might have stopped carrying it. So I don't thik they are selling that well in store fronts. I think the more hardcore shooters order online.

17. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here in Germany and in Poland you can find tons of Instax mini films and cameras in "Saturn" store and in some other shops as well. Other instant films - only fotoimpex.

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have not been at Saturn lately, so I don't know.. Other than that Instax film is hard to find for me. And where it is offered it keeps sitting on the shelves.

Never ever saw anybody usiing Instax cameras.

19. fencer

fencer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not true, at least here in Poland. Finding fp100c is not a big problem. I've seen some Impossible Project films, too - but "Impossible Pricing" would be a better name.

20. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last time I was in Saturn in Zlote Tarasy couple of months ago in Warsaw they had a lot of Fuji Instax mini films and cameras, but of course on allegro you can find everything. I agree about prices of Impossible films, but that is as it is :sad:.

21. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hope I don't sound stupid for asking this but…Does this film need to be shielded from light when it is ejected from the camera like the others did?

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Instax film in the local Saturn over here.

23. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure which film you are talking about?

The Impossible color film hasn't needed that for a while now, and the latest improvements to that were more related to improving the color.

They just (today) released the new black and white:

I'm not sure if it still needs to be shielded or not, it doesn't mention anything.

24. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Supposedly the new "Color Protection" films from Impossible doesn't need shielding, no. According to their website: "Thanks to the innovative color protection formula there is no need to immediately shield your photos from direct light."

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "no need to immediately shield"

Well, that could be interpreted as the necessity to shield them nevertheless. Though with some tolerance concerning the immediateness.

26. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    AFAIK since they went to 'color protection' with the color film (last generation) you didn't have to immediately shield it when it came out of the camera and the new color formula is the same. I shot a pack of the older stuff and never did that. But you are supposed to let it develop in the dark for the 30 minutes, in a drawer or a pocket or whatever.

Per the Impossible blog the newly released black and white still needs to be shielded: