New from Spokane Wa

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by maring, Dec 8, 2007.

1. maring

maring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello everyone!

Thought I'd introduce myself. Name is David and live in North East Wa. Learned B/W in college. Spent 17 years in Papua New Guinea doing translation and literacy. New to the whole APUG site. So far I am very impressed with the pleasantness and way everyone responds. Seems like a fantastic community. Hoping to learn a lot from the forums and all the comments.

One question someone may be able to answer.

How do you keep track of all the fstop/shutter speed info for all your pics?

I shoot mainly 35 but have a 2 1/4 as well. Do you just keep a notebook with you all the time? Any tricks to the trade on this? I take the pics but always forget the info.

Starting school in Jan. (Chinese) so not sure how much I will be able to shoot, develop and scan. Only able to scan at this time until get an enlarger set up somewhere. I'll try to get more posted as I am able. Esp. some more 2 1/4 shots. it is an exciting format!

Have a great day!!:tongue:

David
    What The Eye Sees Photography

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I never write that stuff down. Never understood why it was important to record. My simple brain.

But a notebook, or a Palm electronic gizmo, will do if you need to make note what you are doing in the field.

I think shutter speed and f/stop publishing by photo magazines years ago made recording of exposure popular.

Unless I'm shooting large format and need to know what type of development a negative needs when applying the zone system, where I simply have to note "normal - minus 1", "normal", "normal +1", "normal +2", or some variation on that theme, I don't write much down at all.

3. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David... welcome from western Massachusetts.

gene

4. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from California. Enjoy Spokane, you'll end up missing it when you leave. Try to make contact with Bill Kostelec at Gonzaga U. He is part of a local photography club, good people. Grab a beer at Jack & Dans for me.
    Chris,
    GU class of 2004

5. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi David, Welcome from the frozen prairies:wink:

6. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG from NY.

7. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi David, a warm welcome from Middle England. Speeds, stops? I just remember; I think.:smile:

8. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome from Utah. I write it on the holders, after exposure.

9. jimagain

jimagain Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from Oregon.

10. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi David and welcome from Seattle. I carry a notebook with me and usually jot down film/lens/exposure info. It's very useful to me when I'm reviewing negatives. I used to carry a small micro recorder but found that drew alot of attention.

Best regards,

Bob

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello.

Welcome from the Isle of Wight, England.

I don't write down exposure information at the time but remember it when I process the film. In the envelope I keep the film in I write the date, location, camera details, processing details and exposure info. The exposure information is fairly vague though. Something like: "Mainly f8 @ 1/125" as I tend to use the whole roll in the same light at the same location and only occasionally vary the settings.

Steve.

12. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, when I bother, I write it down in a little notebook and that's about 0.048% of the time. Welcome, Daivd.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from up north of you, near Vancouver, British Columbia.

With respect to exposure information, I am often surprised how often I remember it. I think it is because deciding on exposure tends to be a thought process that I approach in a fairly consistent manner. I tend to remember what the light was like, and what I was aiming for, and the resulting exposure settings necessarily fall within a narrow range.

I also make heavy use of "Sunny 16" as a reality check, so that may aid in the remembering as well.

Matt

14. maring

maring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks all. Basically, I'll just continue to keep a couple note cards in my camera bag to take notes on. I think I get so caught up in the moment of taking the pic, that it doesn't seem relevant to try and remember all the little details. Guess that is why I enjoy taking pics. Very freeing, relaxing and plain enjoyable. Can't wait to get out and do some more. Thanks again for all the insights.

15. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I should qualify that I write on the holders when I'm shooting LF because the information is useful in the darkroom. I shoot both sides of a holder for one shot. The information can (sometimes) help me decide how to adjust, if I don't like the first neg, or detect problems with my film, processing, procedure, or equipment.

When I shoot roll film, I do nothing more than note how I have rated it, because what's done is done, as far as that roll is concerned.