New Fuji Velvia 50 - version II? Can anyone here read the Japanese characters?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by copake_ham, Oct 21, 2006.

1. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Apparently, Fuji has just released a new version of Velvia 50 in response to popular demand. It is called Fuji Velvia 50 II.

Here's a link: fujifilm.jp/information/20061020/index.html

It is in Japanese "script".

I checked the English language "global" site and there is no similar announcement.

Can anyone here "confirm" this?

Maybe someone at Fuji was reading the "Kodachrome" thread here? :smile:

2. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi George,

It would be nice if true and the color were close to the original. Hopefully some our members in Japan or those elsewhere that can read Japanese can translate this for us.

Rich

3. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    using the Google translator:

Color reversal film
    About [hujikuromu] Velvia II (the tentative name) development and sale

2006 October 20th
    The fuji film corporation

[hujikuromu] Velvia (ISO50), there was also the circumstance of procurement difficulty of the part raw material, did last production on end of the last year, ending sale with present stock, the effect which it receives it guided.

But, you considered to the importance of duty, as this corporation that it receives the demand whose Velvia continuance is stronger than everyone of the photograph fan which your long time patronage it receives protects photograph culture and raises started advancing the examination of resumption of production from various angles. As a result, the possibility of the Velvia II (the tentative name) development production which has the efficiency which almost is equal to existence Velvia with the development of the part alternative raw material and the establishment of new production conversion technology, stood, could point to sale and became to receive.

Sale time has planned 2007 spring, we guide the details of sale day price and the like again.

4. kurachan

kurachan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you copy the Japanese text and past it into "altavista babel fish" you will get this:
    " 2006 October 20th Fuji film corporation フジクローム Velvia (ISO50), there was also the circumstance of of procurement difficulty of the part raw material, did last production on end of the last year, ending sale with present stock, the effect which it receives it guided. But, you considered to the importance of duty, as this corporation that it receives the demand whose Velvia continuance is stronger than everyone of the photograph fan which your long time patronage it receives protects photograph culture and raises started advancing the examination of resumption of production from various angles. As a result, the possibility of the Velvia II (the tentative name) development production which has the efficiency which almost is equal to existence Velvia with the development of the part alternative raw material and the establishment of new production conversion technology, stood, could point to sale and became to receive. Sale time has planned 2007 spring, we guide the details of sale day price and the like again."
    Where they saying they can't get the "good stuff" they used to put in Velvia 50, but as everyone likes it and they think this important, they are going to make something nearly as good, to be available next year. This (original) stuff is probably still on the shelves in Japan as are many other films not seen outside Japan.

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good going , Matt! I knew there was a way to do automatic translation but don't know how to do it myself. Tht's a rather choppy translation but good news, nonetheless. At least it didn't say anything like low-contrast or desaturated color palatte. I'm down to my last two rolls of Velvia 50 in 120. Can't wait!

6. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alls I can say is.........

HOT DAMN...

At least someone is listening to us film photographers!

YE HA!

Dave

7. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the "Googlers" and "Altavistas"!

I was so surprised to read the link on another site that I didn't think to try a translation tool.

So it seems to be true!

Now I have to continue burning off the stash of original Velvia 50 so I can try the new stuff!

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wonder if the market for Super-8 and other small-guage cine format Velvia 50 might be big enough to be a factor. A couple of companies have purchased the remaining Velvia 50 35mm stock to cut down and reperf to Super-8. The places that are doing this have said they'll just continue with Velvia 100F when the 50 runs out, but there are a lot of old Super-8 cameras out there that don't have a manual ASA setting, so they work best with an ISO 40 film and maybe one or two other settings, and 50 is close enough. On top of that, Velvia 50 is looking like the best replacement for Kodachrome 40 these days, as far as color reversal films go with fine grain and vibrant color. I can't imagine this is a huge market, but maybe it's bigger than one would guess.

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    George me to...

I have several hundreds of rolls of the orginal in the freezer, I do hope this is as good as the old, now I can get back out shooting, I went through this with Koda 25 and was sorely disapointed when I read the announcement on the velvia 50, talk about making my day!!!!

Ye Ha, I am thrilled!!

10. kurachan

kurachan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For what it is worth, here is a listing for Velvia from Yodobashi Camera (Japan)http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/cat_13_44_1927614_1930423/12082.html
    They also show it for 135 and 4x5. They do mail order including overseas (i believe) but have never tried. They still have a whole floor devoted to film at Shinjuku (Tokyo) near the train station. (there used to be much more). Sadly, they have found the film fridges (supermarket style) keep inkjet cartridges just as well. They did/do? used to stock Super 8 in Fuji and Kodak.

11. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I will give you a quick translation (my job is a Japanese technical translator). Basically it says many people have beloved the original velvia 50, and as a result in the spring of 2007 a new Velvia 50, tenatively called Velvia II will be released. Prices and release dates are yet to be announced.

Hope it helps.

Gary

12. butterflydream

butterflydream Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It says the performance of new film will be 'almost' equivalent to old one.

13. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Regarding Yodabashi, have they got some sort of rebate system? I always find two prices and a percentage value on their product listings.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Though I haven't used the Velvia 50 in Super 8, I use it in 35 and 120. And I do still use Super 8 with 6 rolls left of Kodachrome 40. I would welcome the new Velvia 50 variant as its been said the V100 is not as sharp as the 50. Plus the color differences. Im suprised Fuji doesn't just make Super 8 from this themselves instead of having another company do it from Fuji's stock. But I could just imagine the sharpness and color boldness of Velvia 50 on Super 8. I would love to try it. The only place I saw it on the net was selling each roll at over $30 which included developing. I would rather find my own lab in country then send it to them for work.

16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think there are two places right now selling Velvia in Super-8. I suspect you found Spectra in Hollywood. Reports are that they are a really good lab, and that you can see substantial differences in results from different labs.

You can also order it from European companies selling it as "Cinevia," reperfed and packaged by this company--

http://www.englisch.film-super8.de/

I just shot a test roll from Spectra. If I get anything interesting, I'll report back.

17. kunihiko

kunihiko Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes. It is called Gold point card system. You buy at Yodobashi, you get points. You can pay by that points next time.
    At the Velvia page linked above, 493yen is the price, 10% (worth 49yen) is the points you get.

But as far as I know, they don't ship internationally.

18. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

Ahem.

I'm really not that excited. No...not me.

19. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! that's fantastic news.
    <dances round the office> My favourite film is coming back!
    I hope it's as good as the original.
    As somone else said, good to know that Fuji are listening to us.

20. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I wonder if Megaperls will carry it.

21. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ref. super8 - there have been reports of the fuji stock not running smoothly in super8 carts.

That's all I have heard though.

Matt

22. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe I'll add it to the fridge when it comes out.....
    [​IMG]

23. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alright Karl,

Now that you have a LF camera, where is the 4 X 5 sheet film?? :smile:

Rich

24. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow that fridge looks like the big box full of film I have in the freezer. I'd post a pic if I knew how to. Im not even sure I can not being a paid member. I was looking at the EPY in your fridge and it says 50 on the box. I thought that tungsten film was rated 64?

If Fuji does come out with RVP II next spring- I wonder how close to the original it will be and if Fuji will tweak the film or not.

As for the Velvia Super 8- could it be because its too thick to roll smoothly through the cartridge?

25. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Braxus,

As far as I know, you should be able to upload a JPG file through Manage Attachments when you make a posting whether you are a subscriber or a member.

Rich

26. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm probably just "over the top" but I put the film in plastic containers or bags before putting in the fridge (actually, mine's in the freezer), particularly since the fridge above appears to not be a frost-free kind.