New gallery and workspace in Virginia

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by RPippin, Jun 4, 2012.

1. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keith Williams and myself have finally opened a gallery and space for shooting and doing workshops in Charlottesville VA., just in time for the Look3 Festival of the Photo. All film based, of course. I've included a link to the flyer we are printing to blitz the festival with so enjoy and stop in when your in town. http:manupropria.org

Attached Files:

2. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is one of the most important announcements on APUG in ages and I congratulate you on your courage in this time - I wish you well and if you develop a kneemail list please announce this here as well

I am particularly interested in how print sales go and if you are interested in work from overseas - This is of interest to me as I have totally given up on Australian sales and now only sell my expensive silver jelly prints internationally - Australians are too stupid to understand photography and think digital is the only means now in existence

John

3. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I will only be stopping in virtually as distance prevents, however, I congratulate you and Keith for your commitment and a pat on the back of those other Apug'rs whose names I recognize in the inaugural showing!!!! Outstanding!

4. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks John, and we would love to see your work. Right off the bat though, we are not planning on paying the rent with print sales. it would be nice, but realistically I don't see that happening. The gallery does two things for us, one, it educates and shows examples of work done today that is film based and gives us a chance to talk it up a bit. Two, it gives people who are considering collecting real art a chance to pick up a couple of pieces and add to it through out the years. The main focus is going to be on the workshops and classes in film, large format, developing film, printing in the darkroom and a bit of P/P printing and other alternative processes. We need to somehow bring the light to bear on what film can and has always been able to do, and we certainly have a willing audience here in Charlottesville. We may go broke, but what the hell.

5. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Richard and Keith: You guys are really showing your dedication to your art by undertaking this venture. I can't wait for an opportunity to drive up and check it out, not to mention finally meet you.
    Best wishes.
    Dan

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your kind and sincere comments! I really appreciate it.

Firs of all, I'm afraid I have to apologize to poor Richard, for what he is about to experience. Poor guy is only just now getting to know my highly caffeinated and opinionated business side :wink:

I guess I'll say a few words about the name that we chose for our venture, and what it means to us. I have been ranting lately about the erosion of hands-on, eye-to-eye, inspirational learning in our schools... everything's become so virtualized, clinical, and boringly two dimensional. Some IT enthusiasts seem hell-bent on moving all our classrooms and teachers into "the cloud."

While stewing on that topic, I was wondering how much of our students' schoolwork even bears a real signature- that creative and personal character that gives work its individual value. In order to impress my erudite colleagues I decided to call all of that "manu propria." Then Richard and I had coffee and talked about opening a gallery, and we realized the same thoughts apply to photographic output....

Anyway... wish us luck! And I guess we'd better hang up an APUG logo in deference to our many great friends here, and all that they've taught us.

P.S. You can follow us on facebook at manupropriagallery, and on twitter at @manupropria1 ... and keep us in mind as a venue to display your best work. And come teach some students down here too! That's what manu propria stands for. Learning how to put more of yourself into the print.

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks very much! Yes let's definitely talk about getting some Aussie prints over here.

9. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speaking of coffee...we should definitely install an expresso machine, or at least a Mr. Coffee. I love the smell of caffein and developer in the morning.

10. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My best to you. I have a gallery outside of Ottawa that makes more on fiber prints than anything else. Look up 3 yellow tulips on google.

If I can be of any help, feel free to contact me.

Grandpa Bare

11. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I "liked" you on Facebook. Good luck - would love to do this one day myself!

12. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Katie, we'll keep you posted on how things go.

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Good luck with the Gallery, I have operated one on and off for 12 years now and its a rollercoaster ride for sure, you will
    meet a lot of interesting people.

14. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The prints from fellow APUGer Massimo Marinucci arrived today! Come and see them at Manu Propria, they're fabulous.

15. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, if this news and this thread is embargoed by APUG then I am curious why. Our gallery workspace is nonprofit and is displaying the work of 5 APUGers for free, on my nickel.

16. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Keith and Richard, good luck with your new venture.

17. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Keith what does this mean?
    I too have made announcements for years about ourgallery openings .
    You opening a gallery is great news for the APUG community. I have not heard any flak about your space.

18. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I simply don't see it coming up in recent forum posts despite several comments, and I wonder why. Do you see it?

In case there is concern about us soliciting business or seeking profit, I just want to be clear:

~~~ NON-PROFIT SHOW! APUG MEMBERS! APUG MEMBERS' WORK SEEN BY ATTENDEES OF LOOK3! ~~~

:wink:

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keith:

Most likely there is no problem with the subject of your thread.

The "recent posts" function isn't working the same way as it used to, because it was determined to be a tremendous resource hog on the server. If you manually click on the "New Posts" links, that function continues to work essentially in the same was as before.

So while your thread is special, it is special in a good way:wink:

20. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aha. Well thanks, glad to hear it :smile: I thought we'd angered the gods.

21. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is amazing news. I am very excited to hear about this opening. You are only 3 hours away from my front door. I can't wait to stop in and check things out. Best of luck with this, and I hope I can get in on some of the future classes you may host.

22. rhcgn

rhcgn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on the gallery space!

I really enjoyed the picture taken by Massimo that you put on the flyer. It reminds me of the four memorable years I lived in Rome. I used to walk past the pictured bulgarian beggar in front of Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere at least twice every day. What a coincidence. :D

23. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ...just found this thread (sad) :smile: Richard and Keith..I certainly applaud the valiant effort and hope it will bring good things. I plan to hopefully get even more involved, maybe with some workshops..have few ideas. We'll have to talk.

24. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Will you guys eventually have a mailing list or website? I can't seem to find one.