New guy here, from Piedmont of NC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by uwphotoer, Nov 26, 2008.

1. uwphotoer

uwphotoer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I found this site last week and thought I would join. I'm a fine arts photographer who works primarily underwater. I shoot Kodachrome and hand print my own cibachrome (ilfochrome) prints, I have taught photography for years have always had a camera since I can remember. My grandfather worked for Kodak and was a photographer in NYC in the 20's and 30's, so I have some photographic history in my life too......

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    uw - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene

3. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, UW! I have a Brother-in-law who has done a lot of underwater work and he always made it look easy. He's a master diver, though. I stick with the dry stuff for now.

4. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome, UC, from the Washington DC area.
    I'm with Whitey, though; I figger if de Lawd wanted us to takes pixtures unnerwater, He'da put gills on our cameras!! (vbg)

For myself, I cannot think of anything more admirable than shooting Kodachrome and making Ciba prints--if one HAS to do color. Bravo!

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va!

Jeff

6. uwphotoer

uwphotoer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always joke that if I can shoot underwater, then working in the air is that much easier...... lol

7. uwphotoer

uwphotoer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well thank you. I guess underwater, since the colors are so unbelievable, yes I HAVE to do color... lol

I have been know to do some B&W down there, but only the wide angle stuff looks any good, sometimes. Now if I do any with no flash I'm effectively shooting Blue and Black, since you will never get a white in that blue filter I'm swimming in. lol

8. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    welcome from Washington DC! I'm an occasional underwater shooter, toting around a Sea & Sea MX-10 with the handle-mount flash. Now if I could only solve my buoyancy problem when snorkelling :D but that would require me to trim down so I didn't float so easily :D

9. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome. You live in a beautiful area that also makes great music.

I do some Cibachrome from time to time as well. I just stocked up on some paper and chemicals and I am getting ready to fire up the processor - don't be surprised if (when) I start asking for advice: I'm a bit rusty when it comes to color correction.

10. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

A really big welcome from Alexander County!

11. rossawilson1

rossawilson1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi uwphotoer from another APUG newbie..

I'd like to get back into ilfochrome, you'll have to post some tips if you have any, especially pertaining to masks!

Hope you enjoy it here!

12. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's a big HELLO from Meckenburg County, First in Freedom, 1775.

You'll love it here, just be sure to put your name on stuff before you put it in the fridge...

Eli

13. uwphotoer

uwphotoer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well thanks, it's a nice area. The joy of ciba color correction is the simplicity..... if it's too yellow take out yellow, if it's too red, then remove red, or add cyan...... but remember you must have the density correct first before you try to color correct, and if you change exposure time then you will see some reciprocity that will cause a color change.....

14. uwphotoer

uwphotoer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I will enjoy it here..... now as for tips.... I have many... lol and I have never needed to mask... I always print for the highlights and burn in the shadows..... and never try to dodge the highlights as they will go blue due to reciprocity failure with the time change...... now the shadows reciprocity will tend to the yellow with the extra time, which I feel helps the shadows warm up since most shadows tend to be blue anyway.