NEW ILFORD OBSCURA PINHOLE CAMERA

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Simon R Galley, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I am indebted to Joe VanCleave who found a little 'low key' announcement of our new camera.

The new OBSCURA will be available after Easter around the world with a retail price of about $ 100 :

Its a PINHOLE obviously, I've used it and it really is fantastic, the unit is made in the UK, it will come with film and two paper types included in an quality ILFORD gift box.

Full details a little later on including picture tests.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/whatsnew/obscura/main.asp

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of us saw this camera at Focus on Imaging (UK photo show), it's a very neat well made camera. We also saw the 10x8 pinhole camera another suprbly made product.

Ian

3. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    This is what it will look like:
    ilford_obscura_pinhole_camera.jpg
    Nice and not too pricy.

But: available at Easter ???? Isn't that (close to) April 1st ??? They wouldn't, would they?

And I'm still missing the info on the site about the Titan 8x10" pinhole camera. It was supposed to be available from March, 4th 2013 for $400 ??
    See also the other thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/p...0-inch-pinhole-camera-out-march-4th-2013.html
    and my blog:
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl/2013/03/finally-new-harman-titan-8x10-inch.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool.

5. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll probably pick one of those up. That's a beautiful little box.

6. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't see a price on that link and am curious as to street price. Also what would be the main difference between this and the Titan ? Pinhole size and look of the image ?

tia

7. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Removing the need for a DDS also removes another barrier to the use of the camera on the part of the general - non-photographic - population. Good move.

8. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ah, thanks. That would explain the white border thing. I can see sales of changing bags going through the roof lol

9. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow Ilford, you guys are seriously rocking the pinhole world lately. Way to go!

I'll fully admit that my 4x5 Titan Pinhole has completely rekindled my love for pinhole photography. I've been using it rather extensively the past several months.

So thank you for that :smile:

10. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm. A 6x9 roll film model would fit nicely in that product line.

Let's see, a little black box with a cheap viewfinder... It could look something like this:

il_fullxfull.327360898.jpg

11. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I saw one of these cameras at the Society for Photographic Education conference this past weekend at Harman's booth. It looked nice and well made.

12. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    someone said "lacking a need for a dds.." what's a dds?

and, simon, it doesn't say -- can this use a 4 x 5 film holder or is it loaded manually and used as a one-shot?

13. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DDS is the 4x5 film holder. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_holder

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Errr, so you can just load film in it via a dark bag?

16. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there a chance that you could sometime come up with a pinhole medium format camera? I don't have the ability to develop sheet film, but I would love to try medium format and the available cameras are quite expensive for used and I really don't want a Holga, the light leaks aren't what I want to get into.

17. Joe VanCleave

Joe VanCleave Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I'm excited about this new pinhole camera. I've never purchased a commercially made pinhole, other than a recently acquired Holga, but this one I would consider.

Simon, one feature I'd like to see included are viewing lines or dots on the sides and top of the camera, as an aid to composition. I have this on many of my homemade box cameras and it's a wonderfully simply and surprisingly accurate method of composing on a camera otherwise absent a viewfinder.

~Joe

18. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DDS is a film holder? If you say so. What do the letters stand for?

As to medium format pinhole -- there are many options -- ZeroImage is the high end at $200 or so for a gorgeous camera that is a real girl magnet too. Their ZeroImage 2000 is a terrific camera, one of the most popular, at about $100.

If you noodle around Facebook for "pinhole film cameras" you will find many nicely made roll film pinhole cameras for 20 on up depending on gorgeousness and complexity --- hell, buy yourself an old folding roll film agfa or box camera or something and make your own. This way you also get a viewfinder.

As to holga light leaks -- that's probably a whole nother subject/thread, but I actually "cured" them by covering the inside of my stereo holga with flat black paper -- and i mean really flat black -- and discovered that the so-called leaks were really internal reflections. I sprayed the inside of my Russian Stereo medium format (after covering the lenses -- duh ) and had similar results.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  19. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Double dark slide. Check the link.

20. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i did, sorry, but didn't feel like wading thru 40 inches on grafatic holders and all that other stuff for one acronym I never use, which the article also doesn't use, even though I have a couple dozen film holders. just never ever heard the term before.

and that article is weird -- it says a film holder "sometimes referred to as a dark slide." No, the dark slide is the thing you forget to take out of the film holder when you are taking a really cool picture.

Stupid wikipedia.:sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  21. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a bad trinket, Simon. :smile:

I'll get in the queue and splash out on one for my birthday if it touches down in Australia. How unfortunate that it won't be around for the World Pinhole Photography Day, at least in the southern hemisphere...

Appears to be a digitally-operated shutter...? Erm, I mean, a finger is used to open/close shutter, rather than a cable release?
    I didn't much like the first incarnation of pinhole camera by Ilford but this one is immediately appealing for its smaller size and clean lines.

22. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Someone mentioned wanting a rollfilm pinhole camera. Just go to your local junk shop and buy a forty year old box camera for five euros/dollars etc, remove the lens and shutter (if there is no "B" setting) replace with a piece of foil and a home made lenscap and there it is.

Probably it will have a viewfinder too and as the pinhole to film distance is pretty much the same as it was for lens to film, then it should work adequately - bearing in mind that it wasn't perfect to begin with of course. Visualising lines from an imaginary dot in the centre of the film area, to an imaginary film-sized shape in the plane of the pinhole will work as an estimated viewfinder, or you can do the same sort of thing with a few pieces of piano-wire to make a physical peep-frame.

23. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still don't understand if this can use a 4x5 film holder. I would think that a camera that needs to be reloaded in a dark area or changing bag after each picture would be a PITA to use.

24. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not designed to take a darkslide, it's a one-shot device. The camera is in the form of 2 boxes, one (which carries the pinhole) slides inside the other & retains the 5x4" paper (or film) flat at the film plane. They're held firmly together with a couple of little built-in magnets. It's very well designed & slick, but you've got to get the decisive moment! (Or carry a changing bag).

25. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ilford already has a 4x5 pinhole camera that takes 4x5 film holders namely the Harman Titan. Check it out it's a great camera. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=140

Roger