New kid on the block.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Dialectic10, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Dialectic10

Dialectic10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi guys,

I'm 19 years old and I have been into film photography for 10 years. My weapons of choice are my Konica Auto S3 and Minolta X-700. Yes, I strictly shoot 35mm only.
    I have been doing color photography all my life because of this one philosophy:
    Why shoot in BW when the world is filled with colors?
    But lately, I am starting to understand the beauty of BW photography. I already ordered 10 rolls of BW film and I can't wait to start shooting.

I usually mail my rolls of film to get them processed (C-41). And since I want to process my own BW films, I decided to make this account on APUG because I figured that I would need the most help I can get.
    Now, it's time to do some apug/google research.

Thanks guys,
    DB

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
  2. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home DB !

We'll get along quite well, I'm a Minolta Maniac !

Ron

3. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard D10. I am sure that you will find APUG to be an absolutely invaluable resource. This forum is populated with a lot of knowledgable, generous and enthusiastic film enthusiasts. I would venture to say, in fact, that many of the folks here have probably forgotten more about the analog medium than I have learned!
    It is encouraging to see another of the "younger generation" interested in the traditional medium. I have done my own small part, providing cameras (Nikon F2s, an F3 and, more recently, an F4 (the only Nikon I never really warmed to), as well as an assortment of lenses, to three of my nephews and a neice. The results have been gratifying (if somewhat odd): My oldest nephew is a dedicated and exclusive E100G enthusiast; his younger brother shoots only C41 and PanF; nephew number three (chronologically-speaking) shoots only C41; and my neice, the "Queen of Photoshop" shoots digital color but shoots all her black and white work on Tri-X.

4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

5. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome to APUG!

The X-700 has an accurate shutter so it will be good to use that camera for any "tests".

As you read threads getting into nuances of exposure, keep in mind you can overexpose black and white film by 4 stops and still get good pictures (but you can only underexpose a little).

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the forum, DB.

7. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Welcome to the fun times!

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! I have a Konica Auto S2 which I enjoy using.

Jeff

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DB - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

10. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because photography is literally "writing with light", and monochrome is the purest expression of light. Color is often a distraction to composition and form. Color can be a crutch in compositional aesthetics, but B/W forces a true evaluation of light and form. It is a conundrum that beginning academic lab photography is normally B/W, while color is often the domain of advanced photography – fine art monochrome requires rigorous technique and compositional execution.

Monochrome allows the viewer to construct a world of their own colors base on light intensity, contrast and form rather than dictating the hues of the scene. I often use an old analogy (thank you Paul Harvey): When the young boy was asked why he preferred radio over television, he exclaimed "because the pictures are better".

11. Dialectic10

Dialectic10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Wow. Everyone here is so courteous. Thanks everyone.
    Longmore: I only have 4 cameras, but all of them are Konica Minoltas!
    ROL: Thanks for the informative and thought provoking reply. That definitely shed more light into my understanding of BW photography.

My package of Neopan 400 just arrived earlier today. After I use up all of my Neopan, I'll probably just be ordering Legacy Pro 400 since I'm a poor working student. But sad to learn that Fuji announced their discontinuation of Neopan. :[
    After doing some research for the past few days, I'll be ordering my chemicals and darkroom materials tomorrow. The chemicals are: Kodak HC110 (planning to do Dilution "H"), Kodak stop bath, kodafix, and photo-flo. I didn't intend it to be ALL Kodak, but... it just happened. haha If you guys have any advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

As a life-long Kodak user, your list looks great :smile:

I might suggest, however, that you replace the "Kodafix" with Kodak Rapid Fixer - the shorter fixing times and the option to use it without hardener are both advantages. That is assuming, of course, that there aren't shipping restrictions that get in the way.

Ilford Rapid Fix or (in usually larger quantities) Ilford Hypam Fixer are other excellent alternatives in non-hardening rapid fixers.

Have fun!

13. Dialectic10

Dialectic10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Matt. And thanks for the suggestion. I switched it up to an Ilford Rapid Fixer 500 ml and I also added a LegacyPro Powder Hypo Clearing Agent. I bought all of these chemicals from Freestyle and I live in the Los Angeles area, so there's no problem.

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You started when I did.

Welcome to APUG!