New Kodachrome lab?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Markok765, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got my Kodachrome back today, from Henrys, and in the package there was a slip from Silvano Imaging in Toronto.

http://www.silvanoimaging.com/e6proc.html At the bottom, they say a 36 exp roll dev'd is $30, though I paid $12 for my developing.

What do you think of this?

2. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Trust but verify!

Hello Marko,

I'd be pretty skeptical. I just called their 1-800 number on their web site. They seemed a bit confused, but after a while they told me that it is a new thing for them. I asked about how long it would take - and they told me a couple of days and to just check their web site. Their web site says,

"Kodachrome films are sent to the U.S. for processing and may take up to a 2 week turnaround. We are unable to accept infrared E-6 films or Agfa Scala (B&W) films."

The price is absurd. My local drug store (northern Canada) sends my Kodachrome to Qualex who sends it to Dwayne's - turn around 2 weeks - price - about $13.00. However, it has been a couple of months since my last order, so maybe it has all changed.

Why not call Henry's and ask for them who they send their Kodachrome to and how much it costs?

Cheers,
    Clarence

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It seems that Henrys sends Kodachrome to here, then they send it to the USA.

It's 12$ at Henrys though.

4. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello Marko,

Thanks for checking. I am expecting the processing at Dwayne's to disappear - although not for a while yet. I surely don't want to have to ship to Dwayne's ($$$) since at present I am getting a great deal, considering where I live. There is fresh (that is the last and I believe final coating) Kodachrome at the local drug store - two users in town. It is about $15.00 a roll. Last July I bought it from Don's on-line for $8.63. I just checked, and it is $8.99 today (this last price may be for 24 exp. according to the spec. sheet.). I am not actually a big Kodachrome fan, but I use it for Viewmaster reels, and other stereo formats. Besides, it will be gone soon.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  5. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have I missed something? Is all Kodachrome being discontinued? Has this been officially announced?

Ed

6. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kodachrome is coated once a year. While I don't have any inside information, Kodak does make decisions based on sales. If they didn't sell all the "last" coating within a timeframe suitable, then there would be serious thought as to whether to coat again.

7. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello Ed,

No announcement, but I suspect that the last master roll has been coated some time ago, and all we will see is product from existing stock with an expiry date to match. I also suspect that the sales have fallen off so much that stock will last for some time. In my experience Kodachrome film lasts well past the exp. date if stored reasonably well. The fall off in processing demand may be a bigger problem to keep Dwayne's going and the chemistry worth producing. I have no inside information. However, if someone knows otherwise, please advise. If all else fails, Kodachrome makes a not bad B&W reversal film (although others may not agree). The remjet is a bit of a pain.

I see that PHOTOTONE has posted while I am writing this, so he may have better info.

Cheers,
    Clarence

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure Kodachrome will one day leave us, but the day isn't imminent, I don't suspect.

I just bought a few rolls to shoot this summer. It's a nice film and I want to reacquaint myself with it.

Kodachrome 200 has been discontinued recently. Kodachrome 25 was discontinued a few years ago. Kodachrome 64 is what remains, and in 135 format only.

9. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dwaynes runs 2,500 rolls of Kodachrome a day...I think it will be around for a while yet.

It's an interesting film especially for the history.

10. kdanks

kdanks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've recently bought my first ever rolls of Kodachrome and I'm waiting for the first one to come back from Dwayne's (via Switzerland). I was inspired to do so by websites like this one referenced here on APUG and I wonder if the film is seeing a modest rise in sales because of that kind of site.

Anyway, I have no idea whether 2,500 rolls a day is a lot, but it is a very specific number. Where does it come from?

Kevin

11. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I read it on photo.net in a forum there recently. Of course it would vary (if they don't run processing on a weekend and mail comes in) but it's still a fair amount. I think a fair percentage would be old KC 25 so not new sales, just bricks from freezers, but if it was all 4' rolls and they ran 1000 new ones a day they'd have 4000' feet of film bought each day too. How long is the master roll that they coat once a year?

To the original question, I believe there are 3 labs. One kodak maintains for themselves, a rack and tank sheet film processor in kodak's basement=unused, and dwaynes. One of those is open to the public. Therefore, EVERYTHING is shipped to dwaynes unless you have experimentative people who want to process it by them self. It can be done, but you have to have a LOT of spare time on your hands.

I believe with all these films that kodak keeps in production for so long after they fall out of mainstream use that there is eventually a revival. This generally occurs at the time kodak is winding down production. This can be a problem because if all these people are beginning to rediscover a really cool film and kodak pulls production, that can be bad. The resurge is generally not big enough to make a profit (the 12 people shooting kodachrome (up from 8) just aren't pulling through).

I personally don't see why someone would favor a "blazing fast" 64 ASA film over 25 ASA. Given the choice I would have shot 25 because 64 ASA simply isn't fast enough to make enough difference to warrant coarser grain.

12. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When I was shooting Kodachrome regularly, I think I shot close to 100 rolls of Kodachrome 64, and one roll of Kodachrome 25. You could just eek out an interior shot with a fast lens and Kodachrome 64, and that was just impossible with Kodachrome 25. High Speed Ektachrome looked so grainy and blah when projected that one really wanted to avoid using it. But I didn't appreciate what I was losing in color saturation by using Kodachrome 64. Nice film on a bright sunny day, but so dead on a grey day.

However, High Speed Ektachrome scans beautifully, especially compared with the headaches of scanning Kodachrome.

13. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where can a fellow buy this stuff? I haven't shot it since high school, and would love to try it again the next time I travel.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    For Kodachrome 64, Don's in Winnipeg, or Brandon for that matter, or on-line. Call first if you want to pick some up, they may not have it on the shelf.

Shopper's Drug Mart in Winnipeg (most likely in Brandon, too) will send it to Qualex (or however it gets to Dwayne's now) for free (no obvious handling fee) as of a couple of years ago. You may have to ask the manger of the mini-lab at the store to look in their binder for the price and what to do. This may not apply anymore.

I had some prepaid Kodachrome Super 8 sent off by Shopper's just before the Lausanne lab closed (I was in Wpg. at the time). It caused them some anxiety, and I got a call from Edmonton (where they sent it first) to confirm the info. It came back in about 3 weeks all nicely done.

For Kodachrome 25 I'm afraid it is eBay, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  16. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not in there often, but Don's on Main St. did in fact have quite a bit of Kodachrome in their film rack behind the counter the last time I was in (a couple of weeks ago - to pick up a Kodachrome order I had dropped off).

As far as I'm aware they're the last "official" Kodachrome dealer in the city (sell and send away K-64), which is a shame because they messed up my order ONCE AGAIN, although it did show up eventually.

That was my first roll of K-64 - it was expired and shot in a P&S as an experiment - a couple of shots look interesting when held up to the light, but it didn't scan very well. Not a great test given the shooting conditions, though :smile:

I did pick up a fresh roll - I'm tempted to drop this one in a Wal-Mart send-away bin (properly labeled) and see what happens :smile:

17. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
  18. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ebay.

Or B&H. Getting it processed equals a fun experience.

19. ssloansjca

ssloansjca Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What I miss so much is Kodachrome 64 120. Man, that stuff rocked and is why I bought my Hasselblad!

Steve Sloan

20. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I appreciate that many Kodachrome advocates preferred K-25 because of the very fine grain. I recently started shooting Kodachrome (K-64 and expired K-200) for the first time because of the way colour is reproduced. Typically, I prefer high grain. There's a sense of aesthetic roughness and imperfection that appeals to me. By contrast, shooting with K-64 feels for me like K-25 and Velvia 50 must for other photographers. I have three rolls of PKR64 120 in the freezer, and should there ever be one last chance to have them processed, then they will be shot immediately on a project or two which are candidates for what I'd use it for. Just in case.

But again, I'm after the colour reproduction and its longevity of storage. I can get fine grain in other films, but I've yet to find another stock that approaches the way the colours are rendered.

Also, here in Toronto, I'm taking my rolls to Shoppers Drug Mart. They don't sell Kodachrome. They do, however, accept it. If I understand correctly, it is sent to Fuji labs, then to Kodak, then to Dwayne's.

21. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I get more film from Dwayne's when I get it processed. I got my first roll from B&H.

I LOVE the color. I like Velvia too, but I think that I like Kodachrome more.

22. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There has been speculation that some military labs have been keeping Kodachrome alive as well.

One of those old film recovery places (Rocky Mountain?) has an operational K-Lab machine as well, but they are ex$pen$ive and take forever. (Yes, they had one for sale, but another was said to be operational as well.)

23. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But doesn't Rocky Mountain only offer Kodachrome processing in modified black and white for K-14, K-12 or K-11, rather than the 14-step(?) dye additive process needed for colour?

24. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have heard rumors that Kodachrome only still exists because the US Government (DOD) creates the demand, as they still use it for certain applications, that they use it in sizes up to 11x14, and that they have their own processing facilities. Someone please tell me this is not true. Sure doesn't sound like it. Sounds like the photo version of all the rampant 9/11 conspiracy theories...

But it sure would be great to hijack THAT delivery truck...

As for your film, I am 99.9% certain it was processed at Dwayne's...and I am 100% certain that that is a rip off. When you send it in yourself, the total is $13.50 for processing and return shipping. Less if you send multiple rolls. I also hear you can drop off your film at Wal-Mart and they will get it to Dwayne's and back for their normal E-6 price. If this is true, it probably makes Kodachrome actually worth shooting. Have not tried it, but I will soon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  25. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Curiosity got me, I checked their web site. From Rocky Mountain:

OUCH, $36.50!!!!!

For K12 they say the following:

Ouch again!

Oh well, so it goes ...

26. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome processing at your local Shoppers == true

Just an update on bringing Kodachrome to Shoppers here in Canada:

My film (I sent three rolls as a test) came back in a little over three weeks. Processing was $12.99 per roll. I had the lab tech scan them in the Noritsu slit scan machine for $3 a roll. Neither of us were sure it would work, because the settings are for C-41. He said there was a K-14 setting, but it wouldn't have some of the features to remove dust particles. It didn't turn out too badly for $3.

Some of the outcome is on my flickr page, if anyone's curious to see the quality. There was some odd extreme dark green in areas of shadow or, in the case of bright light in the image, an "aurora echo" (which is what I called it, since it appeared in night skyline shots). It doesn't appear to show on the actual chromes when looking through bright light (alas, I don't have a light table).