New Kodak Ad

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by raucousimages, Aug 14, 2005.

1. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just saw kodak's new tv ad, their new slogan: KEEP IT DIGITAL, KEEP IT KODAK.

Is this the end of Kodak film too? Go ILFORD.

2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    apparently they are putting all their eggs in the point and shoot market. So either they are going to start producing cell phones which contain a pda, mp3 player, 8mpixel camera, voice recorder, portable video game player, gps device, bluetooth, am/fm/sat radio, and tv tuner for under $150.00.. well, they are going to be in big trouble..

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Can I browse APUG on one of these gizmos?

4. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That was really an odd ad, poorly made.

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I sometimes browse APUG on my PocketPC. It isn't the best experience, but at least I can read the forums.

7. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I saw that last weekend and just shook my head.

8. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know about this ad, but the last one in B&W mag. was a hoot. It was about their Black and WHite paper including hype for a new surface and included a coupon for $10. off when buying . THis was the AUgust edition.

Go figure.

9. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad I don't watch much commercial TV.

10. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whats sad about the Kodak ad is that it uses famous analog images.

11. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree. It also seems to be targeting children, trying to start them on camera phones and keep them from ever using film thereby killing analog in one generation.

12. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Isnt Verizon offering a cell phone with Zoom for about the same price as Kodak? Isnt this the problem with Kodak? they have gone from an industry leader to a second rate company trying to catch up.

As I said, I will keep using their film, but I have no expectations about the company making film for much longer, and I am sure as hell not going to reward them by stocking up on the film.

13. Bill Mobbs

Bill Mobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jorge, I agree, I too, see no reason to buy up Kodak products. I just finished some 11"X14" prints and nothing about them was Kodak including the negatives and they are some of my best yet. We are all going to be just fine with out the "big K".

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please guys, let's not forget the inestimable amount of money Kodak invested in all things photographic over the past century. The exhibits and the people they sponsored were an important step along photography's journey from a hobby to an accepted form of art. We are all much better off (photographically-speaking) for the existence of Kodak.

They are doing what they feel they need to do to survive and prosper, as would any of you. It's not rational to expect them to keep losing money in areas where the profit margins, combined with the expected sales volume, are not high enough to warrant continued investment.

Yes, we'll be fine without Kodak, but I for one am not going to spit on them. Fine art photography would not be where it is today, were it not for Kodak.

16. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When your in a very large, and very cut throat market, you need to do what you feel is right, I have no anomocity tword Kodak, I started using other products a few years ago, and am always trying new things, Kodak will go the way they feel best for them, it is unfortunate, they feel the need to push away the analog industry, but the writing with kodak, has been on the wall for many years now, I don't see how they will be a dominate force in the D*****L industry, as the person they have at the helm, was not at HP a dominate force, but we have to go on and do what we do...and continue to find products that support our type of shooting, get over it, get on with and continue to make pictures, that is the important thing..

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

17. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Anybody here said anything bad about Kodak?

All I said was that I am not going to reward them for getting out of film manufacturing by stocking on film. While nobody expects them to keep on loosing money and keep making film, Kodak should not expect me to be loyal to them and keep on buying their products event though I know they will drop film the moment it is convenient for them.

Do not mistake speaking clearly with speaking bad. As to the exhibitions, sorry, but most of that stuff is tax deductible which gives them good PR at the same time.

Kodak should really get out of film manufacturing, license their emulsions and go full bore for digital....this half assed efforst are not doing any good to anybody, including Kodak.

18. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Jorge,

I back on you this 100%.

I no longer use any Kodak films or papers and once my developers run out I will be switching those as well.

It isn't about saying anything bad as Jorge said it is about not rewarding someone financially while they turn there backs on people that support them. I would rather put my money in a place/company that will continue to support what I do, "traditional photography".

No one is saying anything bad here.

Kev

19. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For me, I want to support a company who wants to support ME !!!

I relied on them to make my artwork. It's just a matter of time before they are entirely out of it. I think it will be sooner rather than later.

20. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I simply want the film and paper that works best for me. Kodak covers that much better than Fuji. I will continue to buy kodak until they commit crimes against humanity, stop producing the product I use or until I can find better.

On a different note:
    I met someone in Rochester who seemed to think that the day that cine film becomes unprofitable is the day kodak stops making film of any kind all together.

21. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call me a rebel, but I am with you Mac..

I will keep shooting processing and playing with the 100 year old film until I can't get it anymore!

I know what it does, I know how it turns out, and I don't have to test anymore until it is gone..

Dave

22. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, it's called 'advertisement' and 'promotion'! It had nothing to do with being nice or supporting the film community...

They are doing what the bean counters tell them... Two years ago, their classic, core film division was their only one to make a profit! They use those profits to buy other companies and invest deeply into digi... They no longer do anything to support film users and they don't care. They are a corporation and have no feelings for users. I know some employees that are just sickened by kodaks actions of late. Nothing they can do either, except file for unemployment for the most part.

These supposed "loses" in the film industry are on paper, against projected earnings. Against these projected earnings, a posted loss becomes a tax deduction. It coporate America at work...

I too will be deeply upset when Plus-X and Tri-X is no longer made. But kodak will soon be a simple distributor of cheap Asian digi garbage (not a knock on Asia by the way).

They owe us nothing. They are a corporation... We owe them nothing. They are a corporation... What they did in the past was essentially a different company. It's gone now. It could be reborn, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

23. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just can't see gettin upset over a corporation doing what corporations do, I am sorry for those who have lost jobs, but going beyond that, I really can't say much more, As Rich said, I don't owe them anything, and they don't owe me anything, they have to do what they feel is best for their stockholders, although, I think they are making a mistake, that does not change the fact, I have to find something to shoot on, they are doing what large corperations do, plain and simple, that is the way of business in the US..

24. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They can keep it.

25. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    KEEP IT DIGITAL, KEEP IT KODAK. Keep it away from me! :mad:

26. Rlibersky

Rlibersky Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I actually think this could work. I know my wife would like if we had a cell phone.