new leatherette kit for Nikon F3 from Aki-Asahi - very happy!!

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by TheToadMen, Jul 12, 2013.

1. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I just wanted to share my good experiences with http://aki-asahi.com/store/index.php for finding a new leatherette kit for my camera.
    I'm going to refurbish an old & battered Nikon F3 for my daughter. (See for the full story: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/118400-refurbushing-old-battered-nikon-f3.html).

I ordered a blue kit and some foam seals from http://aki-asahi.com/store/ for $24.50 including shipping costs. Even got a 5% discount for ordering 2 items. The parcel arrived today in Holland, Europe from Japan within 6 day:

Aki-Asahi-leatherette-kit-parcel.jpg (registered mail, no import duties)

There was even a free practice kit (brown) included to my surprise.

Aki-Asahi-leatherette-kit-content.jpg (contents of parcel) Aki-Asahi-leatherette-kit-blue.jpg (blue F3 kit)

Very good service from Aki-Asahi. There is a very good instruction on the site as well.

Highly recommended supplier for new cover kits in several colours !!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to hear! :smile:

3. Rudolf Karachun

Rudolf Karachun Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wery good.

4. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll voice a similar opinion. I have used them several times now and have been very happy, especially with the "practice kit" which comes with every order. I very often either have a lesser (backup) body of the same type, or I buy one to use the practice kit on! So far the practice kit and the non-practice have gone on perfectly. Never had a mixup. I now own the most hideous Contax 137 EVER in neon pink snakeskin covering. :smile:

5. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Can you show us a picture of the camera? I almost got the same kit ...

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is that "practice-kit" about? Does one get next to the ordered cover a second one of basic quality?

7. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doing these covers is not always as easy as it looks the first time you do it. It's one of those things that you learn a lot by doing with a bunch of "oh I see now how to best do that" moments. The practice kit lets you learn "on the job", then you tear that one off and with your new-found experience do it even better the second time but with the actual covering you want to use.

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    It's the same kit (except for the colour) and it came as an extra. I'm guessing here, but I think it's maybe a kit that didn't pass their quality control, fot there is a small uneven surface on one patch. Maybe they mark & ship these as free practice material instead of throwing it away??

Nevertheless, even if the uneven part might get some people to complain, it's good enough to do a second camera in my opinion. But I can understand why they don't want to sell this "reject". And this way it is still put to good use.
    Thank you, Aki-Asahi!

9. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since you asked... :smile:

[​IMG]

10. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    WOW! I love it!

If Leica does this, it's called a "limited edition" and will cost $10.000 :whistling: