new lens for my 4x5

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dan's45, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Dan's45

Dan's45 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got it!!!!!! my new lens came today via fedex. 90mm super angulon. this means i'll have to wait at least 6months till i can swing another one. will be saving for an 180mm and i will be happy.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congrats on the new lens!

180mm seems to be a bit of an orphan focal length (too close to 150, which is a common first lens, and too close to 210, which is more popular), so there are some really excellent lenses to be had at good prices. I have a Caltar II-N, which is the same as a Rodenstock Sironar-N or Apo-Sironar-N (my impression is that the "Apo" designation is just marketing, and does not reflect a real change in design, so find the one that's at the best price), and it's outstanding. Here are a couple of sample shots from the gallery--

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7002&cat=500&ppuser=60

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7747&cat=500&ppuser=60

3. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    congrats! You must be thrilled. I am waiting for the same thing to come. Let us know how do you like it.

4. Frank Petronio

Frank Petronio Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a 90 and 180 are a great two lens combination - the 180 is just long enough to do a nice portrait or detail

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The 90 S-A is one of my most used lenses (along with 165 and 240 - on 5x7" too) - congratulations!

6. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Congratulations! I'm not much of a 4x5 shooter but one lens thats really impressed me is the 203mm Ektar. Nice ones are still out there for under $200 which makes them quite a deal. IMHO its worth checking out if you're looking to add a longer lens.