new LF camera and son's quip

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by stillsilver, Mar 15, 2008.

1. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Woo Hoo, I got my brand-spanky used Calumet Cadet in the mail yesterday. I was assembling it in the living room (feeling like a kid at Christmas) when my 16 yr. old looked at it and remarked that it looked like it belonged in a museum. I looked at him and replied that it will outlast ANY digital camera he will ever own and it belongs making photographs and NOT sitting in a room with a velvet rope around it.

Now to deplete the world’s supply of 4x5 b&w film.

Mike (still grinning)

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remind your son that museums are where they exhibit the really good stuff!! :wink:

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Cambo Cadet (same camera), not sure if it could actually outlast the best d****al cameras, the build qualities OK but it's a budget monorail and designed to be cheap and cheerful. Having said that it's a good functional camera and treated well will last for years.

Good luck, make some good images with it then rub your son's nose on the prints :D

Ian

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My Tachihara is like two years old. Many times passer by remark at the incredible condition of my antique camera, and ask if I did the restoration myself.

5. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

I've got a couple of cameras pushing 75 years and they all work just fine :smile:

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (i wanna big camwuh) sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chris... you will get your big camwuh in due time. :D

Mike... I also have the Calumet Cadet and for the money it is a fine camera and should last you many years of happy use.
    My other big camwuh is a Kocak 2D 5x7 from the early part of the 20th century and I expect that to last me quite a long time.

gene

8. Zach in Israel

Zach in Israel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Sinar is not that old, when I want to use an old camera I have a Rollei. That being said when I pull it out I have had pro's with digital cameras in awe. (And offer to buy it!) I love that camera.

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I hear that sometimes too, but most often when the camera really is antique - or when it's the almost-brand-new Gandolfi. :D

10. junqbox

junqbox Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My old Toyo still makes great images and always attracts attention when I take a studio camera into the outdoors. A field version would be great, but as long as the wife is happy to help with the lugging she can hold the purse strings.