New member, new RF'er

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by pjriley, Jan 9, 2008.

1. pjriley

pjriley Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello everyone. I'm a new APUG member, working photojournalist and am returning to film photography as a 'stress reliever':tongue:
    I just ordered a Zeiss Contax IIa w/50mm Sonnar f2 to get started in RF photography. Looking forward to learning a lot here.
    Mary

2. Lol999

Lol999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Mary, from a newcomer to APUG and rangefinder photography. Everyone's really friendly, there's a huge knowledge base to access, which is pretty much why this is the first forum I've actually PAID to use!

Cheers, Lol

3. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ooh, shiny :smile: I got into rangefinders via Leica copies/derivatives from the former Soviet Union, and have fairly recently also picked up a Contax copy/clone - a Kiev 4a. Very nice to hold, focus, and use, but you have to master the "Contax grip" otherwise you'll block one of the rangefinder windows with your hand. Not sure if it's a design feature, or I just lucked out, but it's got an *extremely* quiet shutter. (Unfortunately mine has a frame-spacing issue - not uncommon, apparently - so it's going to go out for service shortly.)

4. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Mary,

I just joined too, recently ... bought a Bessa R3a and can't wait to start shooting with it.

Welcome!

R.

5. pjriley

pjriley Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    We RF newbies will just have to post often so the 'old hands' in here can steer us on the right path. I've been shooting a Nikon D2h for so long on the job, the Contax will take some getting used to, for sure.
    M

6. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Cool, what kind of work did you do with the d2h?

I find that the RF gives me more freedom to shoot from the hip or not care so much about exact composition. I can compose/crop later.

7. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mary welcome to apug. Your avatar is remarkably similar to mr Goldfarb's

8. pjriley

pjriley Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    bessa L R3a; I'm a working photojournalist and reporter covering the cop/crime/fire beat. I also do 'other duties as assigned' of course, so shoot just about everything.
    jd: I chose the avatar because I had a problem uploading one of mine and I'm not a cartoony sort of gal! :smile:
    Mary

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Mary. Welcome to the group. You should find plenty of useful information hereabouts. Don't leave the lights on and remember to turn off the water.

10. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Contax IIa (with the postwar f/1.5 Sonnar) is my all-time favorite camera. The f/2.0 lens is a fine choice as well.

I hope you have a great time with it.