New Nikon E lens i.e 800mm f/5.6E

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Chan Tran, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So the new type of lens designated as E lens isn't compatible with any film cameras including the latest F6?

2. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I read, 35mm film, ought to work with F 6, 5 and 100s. May not work with N 90s.

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nikon website say it is compatible to 35mm film, but probably only those cameras that support the 800mm's electromagnetic aperture control. Since I can't afford an $18K lens right now, I can't report if it will work on my F100.

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Quoted from Nikon website
    "Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism is incorporated for enhanced stability in auto exposure control during continuous shooting even when the teleconverter is used (Not compatible with the D2 series, D1 series, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70 series, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, 35mm film cameras)"

It said not compatible with 35mm film camera. Nothing before the D3 (Nikon 3rd generation digital).

5. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm pretty sure it's the same as the PC-E lenses, except there is no manual aperture ring- so that means D300 and later. What worries me is that sometimes Nikon will drop a feature on their latest super tele, and suddenly it's on all their new lenses (VR, AF-S, etc.).

6. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes that's what I am talking about. Most of us are not able to afford the $18,000 lens any way but I believe eventually all Nikon lenses will be made that way. Which means no more new lenses for Nikon film cameras.
    It's ok for most of us as we don't have new film cameras, no new lenses are fine we have enough old lenses to choose from. Now we need good supply of film, all three basic kinds, B&W, transparency and color negative.

7. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    LOL! Well, I don't expect the AF-S motors to out last a Nikon F.

8. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, because we have also the option to use new lenses with Nikon F mount from Zeiss (ZF.2 series), Voigtländer (SLII series), Sigma, Tamron, Tokina.

Best regards,
    Henning