New Nikon owner, lens advice appreciated.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by zk-cessnaguy, Feb 17, 2010.

1. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there, I had the opportunity to get my hands on an F4s, and would love some advice as to what lenses I should be looking for. I already have some Tamron Adaptall-2 SP lenses I can use on the body, but I'd like some pointers for good AF lenses that aren't overly expensive. I guess I'm looking at focal lengths up to 200mm at this stage, and don't want to build a huge system.

TIA
    Andrew

EDIT: ps I don't mind primes or zoom lenses.

2. cheuwi

cheuwi Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What type of photography are you planning on doing?

3. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mixture really... landscape, some portraiture, travel/photojournalism/street styles.

4. mattk

mattk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, for inexpensive I would start with the a 50mm f1.8 lens. They seem to be everywhere for reasonable prices. I also have a cheap "G" zoom lens 24-85mm lens that stays on the camera most of the time. Never had issues with either one. If you feel like investing a bit more in a lens, the 80-200mm f/2.8 is superb for the money.

5. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The AF-Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 is very nice. The F4 doesn't use/need the "D" feature so you may be able to pick up older AF-Nikkor lenses that are optically identical to later models but cost less.

6. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of the reasons I went for the F4 was its ability to use older lenses. There seems to be a lot of ifs, buts and maybes with Nikon lens compatibility :confused:

@Mattk: The 50/1.8 will probably be my first purchase.

7. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    85mm/1.8 AF (pre D) is reasonably priced and very good. Stay away from the 24-120 AF D - the only real dog I've ever gotten in a Nikon lens. Best value in general purpose wide angle is the 28mm/2.8 AFD. The PJ/candid street portrait lens to save up for is the 180/2.8 AFD. Its pricey - trading in the $500-$600 range at KEH - but if you ever get your hands on one you'll never let it go.

8. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't let me confuse you! The F4 can use almost any Nikon F-mount lens, auto or manual focus, pre-1977 or post-1977. Some features developed after the design of the F4 don't work but in practice these limitations are pretty minor (the only exception is the G lenses that do not have an aperture ring, but even they can be used in shutter priority or program modes). There is a good compatibility chart at Nikonians.org.

In the case of "D" lenses, the only difference is in the electronic information the lens transmits, specifically distance information for TTL flash if I'm not mistaken. The F4 doesn't care about this info so it can use either equally well, but the earlier AF lenses are often slightly cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  9. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A good "sleeper" lens is the AF Nikkor 35-70mm 1:3.3-4.5 Zoom. It sells at low
    prices but is quite a good lens actually.

10. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    pretty sure adorama and B&H have some non-ai lenses that the F4 can mount for <$50
    and the flashes for the F4 are cheeeeap too

good camera
    Good luck

11. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd stick with the "D" series lenses:
    24-120
    28-85 D (what I use most of the time on my N90s)

12. r-brian

r-brian Member

In just bought a F4s, the main reason was that matrix metering works with my ai lenses. As far as AF lens go, I have the 24-50mm which I find is a very good landscape lens and the 35-135mm that came on the camera. It's a good walk-around lens, but a little heavy (but then again, so is theF4s). My 70-300 AFS VR (which I got for my D80) also works fine with the F4s, autofocuses but the VR is not supposed to work.

The great thing about the F4 is it's ability to work with the manual focus lenses in matrix metering mode. Many say the F4 is the best manual focus camera Nikon made. My MF lens are 24mm Nikkor, 35mm f2 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 ais Nikkor (in the mail to me), 50mm f1.8 Series E (to stay on the FM/FE more than the F4), 85mm f1.8 ai'ed Nikkor, Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro, 38-86 mm ais Nikkor (also in the mail attached to a FE), and a 75-150mm Series E.

For landscapes, AF isn't important, usually turn it off. With the F4, all my MF lenses come into play.

13. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    18-35 AF Nikkor ED

14. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you want an all around zoom (yet only medium range telephoto) get the solid 28-105mm AF-D 3.5-4.5 IF, they should be quite cheap nowadays. If you prefer to have an all prime set up, well, just get the 20 or 24mm 2.8 AF-D, the 50mm 1.8 AF-D, the 85mm 1.8 AF-D and the 180mm AF-D 2.8 IF ED and you're done with optics.

Macro fan? Get the 105mm AF-D 2.8 Micro!

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
  15. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is what I recommend:

$350 U.S. for used Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-f/5.6 auto focus zoom in excellent condition (for shooting in bright light)

$340 U.S. for new Nikon 50mm f/1.4 D auto focus (for shooting in dim light)

16. RMP-NikonPro

RMP-NikonPro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AF-D Nikkor 20-35mm 1:2.8 Zoom,
    AF-D Nikkor 35-70mm 1:2.8 Zoom,
    AF-D Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 Zoom
    AF-D Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8

Professional Lenses that are selling for cheap!
    Last as long as the Camera!
    You'll never need anything else!!

17. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    cheap = $500+ per lens USED
    except for the 50/1.8 = that goes for +-$100 used

if you want cheap, go with primes and zoom with your feet

18. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Another vote for the 24mm f2.8 and the 50 f1.8. I have them in AIS, but I assume the AF versions are the same optically. The new version of the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 may be worth a look if you are after a 'one lens does all' at a reasonable price.

19. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lots of good ideas here. At this stage I think I will just get the 50/1.8 as I already have a 17mm (51B) , 24 (1B) and a 28-80 (27A) Tamron Adaptall lenses which will do for the time being. If (and that's a mighty big if) I decide to go 100% Nikon, then I will look at the faster, more expensive options.

20. weldong

weldong Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I 2nd getting a AF 50mm/1.8. I prefer a non-D one that was made in Japan, however, the D made in China version is still a great lens.

21. Joe Grodis

Joe Grodis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes I agree. I just purchased this lens a few days ago and it IS pretty darn good for the price.

22. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok so I've now got the 50/1.8. Nice little lens it seems, if a little plasticky. Next stop 85mm or 135mm cos I can't use my Pentax Takumar 85/1.9 grumble grumble complain.

23. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Going the manual focus route, the 105mm f/2.5 is a great classic.
    Practically a one stop slower Summicron, whis isn't too bad... :tongue: