New old Cameras

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Zedwardson, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Picked it up at a yard sale. The guy told me "BTW, you can't buy film for it anymore". Picked it up for 10 dollars as a "Cool thing to have in my office" ....

Meter works, Shutter appears to be working, even cosmetically it looks mostly good. Even had some old C-41 film in it (so old the tape to seal it won't work.

I now own what appears to be a fully working mid format Camera. :munch:

I did find the manual online, but it a easy camera to operate, and I had a Yashica-mat years before.

I guess I could develop the 120 roll in Black and white to see if I have any images that work on it. The film could be cooked for all I know....

2. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yashica Mat EM, the meter appears to be fully working. It at least gives ballpark correct figures for settings.

4. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    can do

You certainly can buy film for a Yashicamat, 120 size. Great camera. I have two.

5. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I knew they had at least 120 roll ability (could not remember if they where 120 only or 120/220) but needless to say I am tickled pink about it. Now time to find some inexpensive 120 roll film to test it out fully.

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i love it when people cut the price "because you can't get film for it anymore." I've got 20 rolls of 120 acros on the way right now.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Way to go! I wish I was that lucky.

Jeff

8. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I love deals like that. Congratulations. I think that you will have quite a bit of fun with that camera.

9. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Talk about a feeling like a Idiot. I take all sorts of great shots with my new Mid Format camera, the waitress at the place I ate dinner even let me take a photo of her to see how it would look.

End of a great day of photos, open up the film door.

And see that the roll never "took" and while I still have a mostly unexposed roll of Delta 400, I don't have any of the awesome shots I took.

10. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like my 620 camera that you "Can't buy film for" any more. Pshaw. 120 and 620 film are the same film, just on different spools. So I buy 120 and put it on 620 spools. You can also get some 620 from B&H, but it's less expensive and more types of film are available if you buy 120 and respool.

11. Zedwardson

Zedwardson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am sure some might buy the 620 film just to get the spools.

12. Desi

Desi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Zedwardson, I went on a spending spree and bought a dozen Brownie box cameras for $1 at a junk shop. Now I have a dozen spools :smile:

13. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Every time I hear that my standard response is, "Really? Better tell that to my freezer then...", but I do think I need to come up with something even more sarcastic.

14. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually say, "You can't, but I can. I have an uncle in the CIA."

I really like it when I am photographing, and someone tells me that I can't get film anymore. I usually reply, "I know, I'm just pretending. It helps my dementia."

15. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I'll bite...

When told film is no more I used to just reach into my bag and hold up a roll, examining it with a studied quizzical frown on my face. Unfortunately, we've now reached a point where more often than not the return response has become, "What's that?"

:sad:

Ken

16. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I might try that one next time, except that I'll be the one asking "wtf is this?" :tongue:
    (and maybe even asking if anyone can read the date on it, if I'm shooting non-expired film). I'm not old-looking enough to try the dementia line yet, but that's a great one.

17. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tell them fresh film is quite easy to get using a modern invention called the internet; you buy it without leaving the house and it comes right to your door. You might suggest they stop living in the past and get with the times.

18. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When you load the film, you need to wind it forward with the back open. You need to wind it until a 'START' mark shows, with arrows pointing to the sides. Align this mark with the red dot on one side of the film chamber. THEN close the back and wind forward until the winding mechanism stops letting oyu go forward. THEN wind backwards until it stops. THEN take a shot. Now wind forward until it tops and BACK until it stops.

You can read more details here-
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica/yashica_mat-em/yashica_mat-em-splash.htm

19. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Regarding the reply to "You can't buy film for it anymore," I just say, "Yes, you can, but it's sort of a long story."

As I've gotten older, I'm trying to remove sarcasm from my interaction with others. I'm mostly successful.

There's nothing worse than an egotistical "know-it-all" photographer.

20. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice. My first good camera was a Yashica Mat EM I got second hand when I was 13. Loved that camera. I'd still have it today if it hadn't been stolen by some scumbag. Went to the local camera shop to see if they had a Yashica Mat and came home with a Rolleiflex MX-EVS Tessar. Still have that and love it, But I've also got another Yashica Mat EM as well. I always liked the Yashinon lenses on the Mats. There's just something magical about a good Tessar type lens.

21. one90guy

one90guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Yashica A, love the results from it. Given to me by the original owner, also gave me a Rolleicord III that works perfectly. Met the man in a gun shop:smile: