New Petzval Lens for Nikon F and Canon EF

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by rwreich, Jul 25, 2013.

1. rwreich

rwreich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a portrait photographer, and I want one badly.

3. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Last year I bought a vintage 1870s Darlot Petzval, a very tiny ~90mm one. I had SK Grimes make a Nikon F-mount for it. It's pretty cool! I shoot it on my D7100.

Kent in SD

4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No big lomography fan, but that looks pretty cool. I love the fact they're using a brass barrel, although the block around the focus drive is kind of chunky. The kickstarter price is very reasonable--this is tempting.

5. rwreich

rwreich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The $300 price is gone, but the $350 level may still be available...

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm no fan of the lomography aura, their marketing, etc. But this looks like a nice product at a realistic price! It's even a good focal length for 35, showing the character of a Petzval without the exaggerated and nauseating swirlies (spewies?:laugh:) that many get by using too short a lens for their format.
    As much as I dislike admitting it, I like the thing!:smile:

(But I'm not getting rid of my 105 Nikkor)

7. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is great news. I am looking to buy Petzval for some time...actually I was ready to buy Rollei SL66 to use it just with Petzval.

8. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it fills full frame "sensors", then it'll be fine for 35mm Nikon and Canon bodies.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks like fun !

lensbaby makes similar things they have a recreation of
    the rodenstock imagon ( with strainer-apertures as well !)

11. Simonh82

Simonh82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the project is funded up to 130% after 4 hours so it looks like it is going to happen. A very interesting lens with an interesting effect.

12. Trevor Whitaker

Trevor Whitaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I couldn't resist it and backed the Kickstarter, looks like it could be a fun lens.

13. rwreich

rwreich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The kicker for me is the dedicated lens mount. No more looking for strange adapters or having to use different camera bodies. This is the best lomo news to date.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    They put two different picture groups to their site , some with Lomo lens and some with 1800s lens. I want to buy that 19th century lens , its images are perfect but I cant say the same for Lomo lens , its a really a lomo lens.

If I had money for Kiev 60 body , I would invest in Soviet LOMO Cinema lenses , they are matchless and you will sell two times the price you paid next year. They have huge customers in Cinema industry and they make a woman skin a woman skin , not orange ice drink color. Darko , there are many shots with these lenses at vimeo and with 4.2.0 % 60 lost color information , they are great.

16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Cool idea. Personally, I think the look of the classic portrait lenses doesn't work as well when enlarged as with a contact printable negative, but it's great to get people thinking outside the usual "sharpness" box, and to see such a lens having so much success.

17. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Threads merged.

18. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They've sold over 800 lenses in a few hours--amazing. When was the last time someone sold 800 brass Petzval lenses with waterhouse stops in less than a day?--That would be never. I think it bodes well for photography--people are getting tired of technically perfect images and find value in the history of photography.

19. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Before you spend your money on this nice (but overpriced) lens, check this site for very nice "old school" and much cheaper alternatives:
    www.re-inventedphotoequip.com
    These lenses are made by Reinhold, a frequent participant and sponsor on this forum.
    Lomography makes nice items, even with plastic lenses, but their prices are way too high for what they deliver. So I'm afraid it will be the case with this lens also.
    But it seems there is a large group willing to spend their money at Lompgraphy on these items, propably because they don't know the real/original alternatives for the Lomo-gadgets.
    How many people have heard/used a Holga 120 type camera and how many a Agfa Clack or a Gevabox?

Yes, I would like to try this lens with my Nikon f2, but I like it more to use such a lens on a medium or large format camera. Especially for this kind of money ...

20. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Part of me says yea, and part, nay. Remember when you found this really cool band when you were younger? Even though you wished them well, you quietly hoped that they kind of remained unknown so that they didn't burn out for you. There are a lot of really good photographers making amazing photos with old Petzvals. If you thought there was a lot of swirly bokeh on the internet before, just wait until these babies hit the market.

But still, it will be neat to see what folks can come up with if this makes it easier to access interesting lenses.

Cheers,
    Tom

21. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To use such lens on large format or even meduim format camera is privilege of not so many people (I would like to be in that group :smile: ). With nikon/canon mount you open this option to many.

To use old Petzval lens you need either large format camera or medium format with exchangeable lens, and when you add camera to price calculation - then lomo option does not seems so expensive any more.

22. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Darko,
    In itself you are absolutely right. And the IF for me would be if they made the lens of good quality and not a "Holga plastic like" lens. And we won't know that until we see, hold, feel and test this lens. But looking at their track record I'm hesitating to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Lomography used to be a lot of plastic & marketing that people were willing to pay for and having fun with it. Even normal film is expensive at their site.
    But then, maybe they are outgrowing their former reputation? Might the Lomo Belair X 6-12 be such an example? A big step up from the Holga (also a very good camera in its own field, mind you) but value for your money? For that kind of money you also have the choice between several "old school" folders with much better quality.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to downsize Lomography. I love my Holga's (especially the pinhole 6x12) for the fun they give me. And they are very successful at Lomography with their brand creating a whole new market in itself.
    But that's not my point. If they want to sell this lens as the better recreation of a Petzval lens, I'm not sure if they will be living up to it.
    But then, apparently the Lomo-gang doesn't mind, so what am I complaining about?
    Yes: it is nice they make this possible for 35 mm film cameras like Nikon en Canon. And maybe it will get people more interested in the "real" old school cameras and photography (instead of sticking it to their DSLR).
    And i hope they prove me wrong by posting a lot of beautiful analogue images on APUG.

But then: how many of these backers end up dropping this lens on a shelf or Ebay in a year time??? I'll wait until then to get me a cheap one and am spending my money on a real 790 mm ULF lens from Reinhold for now....

(Just ignore my rambling please)

23. rwreich

rwreich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should also consider that Zenit is manufacturing this for Lomo... Given that the casing is brass, this fares better than many cheap kit lenses shiping with plastic cameras these days.

24. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting, I hope they do a better job of it than their belair camera. That one was a let down for me. Anyway, why are they using kick starter? They are a decent sized company with some r&d budget they shouldn't be using kickstarter to fund this. Kickstarter should be used by smaller startups that actually dont have much funds at all.

25. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The optimist in me says that it's because it gets them bigger exposure to a global audience.

The cynic in me thinks its so that they are under no obligation to deliver the lens if they feel better keeping the 100 grand.

*Remember that Lomochrome Purple was "guaranteed" to be delivered by July. They have 6 days to go.

26. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    It's also an easy way to get your customers to pay upfront - even before you've produced anything ....
    And at the moment they also get:
    - 30 backers buying a keychain for $15
    - 2 backers buying a poster and keychain for $50
    - 26 backers buying a Diana Mini Petite camera and keychain for $79
    - 105 backers buying a black painted lens for $500
    - and quite a lot of other people of other people buying the lens for 300, $350, $400 and even $500.
    Total up to now: 1253 backers spending $477.840 on a plastic/brass/??? lens

So I think they're doing all right with this project: producing a nice new lens at no risk- business plan. Smart guys.