New Photography Exhibit at National Gallery in DC

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by TheFlyingCamera, Apr 3, 2006.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would love to but the REAL job calls. Stupid money!

3. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's too bad. Anyone else up for taking in the show? C'mon folks- there's at least two or three other DC area residents in the mid-atlantic group! If the weekend in question is bad, someone propose another weekend!

4. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd be there with bells on, Scott, except for the fact that I'm leaving for Louisville tomorrow to attend events associated with our Azo show. How about a raincheck for Saturday the 14th?

BTW, everybody: since the NGA established its permanent photography exhibition space, they've had nothing but fabulous shows. I try to see every single one. If you live around here you're really cheating yourself if you miss them.

5. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be up for the 14th myself.

6. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm good for the 14th also. Why don't we go as suggested, meet at the gallery at 10:30, take in the new exhibit, and then grab some lunch in the neighborhood? And anyone who wants to bring along some of their work to show-and-tell over lunch is more than welcome to do so!

7. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a question. Is this meeting for Friday the 14th or Saturday the 15th? All that has been mentioned is Saturday the 14th, which is inaccurate.

8. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking at my schedule now and trying to keep it clear for the 15th. Also looking for a motel for Friday night. Hopefully, things will work out.

BTW, if I stay in College Park Friday, is it an easy ride to the Gallery Saturday morning?

James

10. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    James- yes - very easy. You can get the Green Line metro from College Park straight to the Archives/Navy Memorial station, which is about two blocks from the National Gallery. If you want driving directions, let me know and I can send them to you in a PM. Metro would be much better, as the parking around that neighborhood is scarce and the meter maids are thicker than gnats in the woods in august.

11. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info. Public transportation sopuinds like the thing to do in DC. I'm sure the motel will allow me to park there for the day. Once I can confirm that I can come down, I will post here. I have a shoot in Greenwich Village, NYC on Friday and I will have to see what time I am home. Hopefully early enough to head for DC.

James

12. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the clarification. I am helping a friend in Fredericksburg move that morning. I will try to make it, but can't promise.

13. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a quick reminder, y'all. This Saturday, 10:30 AM, National Gallery of Art, West Wing Rotunda. Anyone who can make it is more than welcome to join. Hope to see some of you there. Now that the NGA is getting serious about their photography collection, we can try to make this a regular event to take in new shows when they open.

14. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I went to the NGA today - one person showed. I don't know if I just missed a few folks, or if we were the only ones there. If you didn't make it, it is a really nice exhibit, including some very beautiful and rare photos. I hope some of you all will show up for the Baltimore shoot May 6th.

15. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was hoping to have been able to make it, but I got home too late last night to have driven down for this morning. I hope you enjoyed the day in spite of the light turn out.

16. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes- we had a very nice day of it. I'll keep posting advance notice of other events like this so hopefully some folks can make it.