New PocketPC Program for development

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Wolfeye, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all. I'm working on a program for PocketPC which is very simple. It's mainly a database that lets you enter film, developer, dilution, time, temp, and agitation. You can save your favorite combos in a PDA and then, when you go to develop, you pour in the developer and press a "Run" button. The program beeps at every agitaion interval, then beeps a bunch when it's time to pour out the developer.

I like it. :smile:

Is there anyone else out there who'd like to try it out? Like I said, it's for PocketPC, and uses .NET Compact Framework 3.5, which you'll probably have to download from Microsoft and it'll install on the next device sync.

2. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice idea. My main problem with Windows Mobile is it takes 5 taps to get anything done. I'm probably the last living Palm OS fan in the world.

3. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, you're not :smile:

I just purchased two more old Palms (a IIIc and an M505), in addition to 3-4 other models I already have. I also bought a couple of spare replacement batteries on eboy, together with "Universal Serial Cradle", so that I can use newer models (Tungsten T, T3, etc.) with serial cable (see the link below for explanation).

For me, FotoTimer software on Palm is indispensable. I hooked it up with a 220V relay, and it also drives my enlarger. I use it for timing negative development and other processes, too...

http://www.open.hr/~dpleic/photo/Palm-enlarger.html

But, I don't use it for anything else - just photo-related stuff (sometimes I also use it for note-taking in the field).

Lately, I've even started thinking about developing my own stuff for it. Just looking for a good RAD tool, for "beginner" programmers :smile:

Denis

4. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'd love to try that on my trusty iPaq! I used to use fototimer in the darkroom on a Palm IIIe, but it died a "left too close to wet things" kind of electronic death, and used to regularly need me to reinstall everything anyway, on account of the (non-rechargeable) batteries running out...!! And now I'm used to Windows mobile anyway...

Cheers, Marc

5. Sergey_Shablovsky

Sergey_Shablovsky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey, Wolfeye !

I am on testing stage of "Photographer's DevChart" application for modern device Apple iPhone. This program contain devchart (like digitaltruth.com), it also have IndexBook section with detalied information about each film, developer and manufacturer. And on next version are store, lab and repir service location and routing using GoogleMaps from You place.

Also in that time database are filling, so if You have some source in internet about labs, repair service, great analogue stores, please do not hesitate to write me message in this forum or use private message.

Thanks !

6. fotoroberto

fotoroberto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I have an Palm and I made an film/developer database for it...
    I created it in PalmOS application Smart List to go...
    If anyone wants to try it...

7. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fotoroberto:

Do you have a link to your application?

8. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a Palm also. The BTZS software is excellent and only available for Palm. At some point there was talk of converting it to Windows but I don't think it ever happened. I wish I could get a Palm cell phone with camera, BTZS software, and integrated 1 degree spot meter and incident market. Unfortunately, I am a very small market.

9. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not even...sure do miss mine.

Bob

10. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made a relational database in ThinkDB - list of films, developers, and combinations.
    You can enter new combinations from existing films & developers, add new films, new developers, and you can enter e.g. dilutions for developers, +N and -N development times, and also notes (dilution notes and freeform notes).
    It's useful as a reference point, and entering new data is quite easy (that's what relational databases are for). There's even a database of prints with notes, and database of developed films...

If anyone's interested, I can post the zip file with appropriate *.pdb files. But, you'll need ThinkDB 2 to use it.

11. fotoroberto

fotoroberto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here You go, just for the members of APUG :wink:
    http://tinyurl.com/62hfps

I created this database some time ago with ThinkDB program for Palm, now it is called SmartListToGo...

My next goal is to create an on line database compatible with it for sharing between users... any idea how to do it...

12. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's available online. Go to:

htp://www.wolfeyephoto.com/Development/DeveloperProgram.CAB

Then put it on your PocketPC. Clicking on this file installs it under Programs. Let me know if you have questions, but I think most computer guys can figure it out after playing around a bit. Remember to download .NET Compact Framework 3.5 and install it on your device if you haven't done so.

Oh, and let me know if ya like it. :smile:

13. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you aren't smart enough to figure out when to agitate, dilute the developer for use and how long to develop your film why would some computer program help?
    Write down the time, temp and look at a clock for agitation. It is a lot less trouble and much less expensive.

14. Sergey_Shablovsky

Sergey_Shablovsky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is possible to send this Db to me via private message or just post the link please.

Thanks !

15. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out my Photo pages:

http://www.open.hr/~dpleic/photo/photo.html

It's the last link ["ThinkDB2 (SmartList To Go) Film/Dev database for Palm OS"]

Denis

16. Sergey_Shablovsky

Sergey_Shablovsky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great thanks, Denis !

I try to work with this info. May be useful for my project.

Have a nice day!

17. keffs

keffs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, a great example of thread hijacking at its "best" :-(

Back to the original part of the thread, if I could make a few suggestions:

1) a cancel button.
    2) A countdown field.
    3) Some indication that it is running

Steve

18. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks!

I made some changes that you should like. :smile: The start/run button should change color as you start, and then count the agitations. I thought about a cancel button, and could make the run button also let you cancel, but since you can cancel by shutting down the program I left it out.

The updated program is online now.