NEW Polaroid 300

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by SoonerBJJ, May 28, 2010.

1. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Has anyone played around with the new offering from Polaroid? A family member ordered me the new 300 model and 4 film packs as a birthday gift and they've just arrived.

The camera itself is relatively solid plastic design. It's smooth around the edges and would be much more portable than my older Polaroid models. It has 4 exposure settings that I'm assuming effect aperture since the shutter speed is fixed. The film comes in packs of 10 and is reported to be ISO 800. Image size is approximately the size of a business card at 1.8x2.4" and runs about $1/shot.

I've only snapped a few around the house and the image is pleasing but obviously small. I'm going to try to get out today for some outdoor work.

This will be a fun addition but its application is obviously limited due to image size and the cost/availability of film.

Anyone else out there with a 300?

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You mean the Fuji Instax Mini? I think people have been using it for a decade now...If you buy the film from Fuji it's cheaper. Not that I find this whole situation funny or anything.

The larger instax is much more useful, though still an amateur snapshot camera. At family gatherings it is very fun.

3. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope that polaroid isnt goin back on what they said they would do. I think that the announcement of the pic 1000 camera was a great hope for the impossible project guys. It would be a shame if the plan fell through.

I havent seen or heard anything about this new 300 until now...maybe I'm just a little slow on the uptake, but its the same at the instax mini, I dont expect there to be any difference in how they perform.

5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was looking forward to that PIC 1000. This is a rebranded instax, it's literally the same camera which uses the same film, but it has different ink on it.

6. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Polaroid 300 is the Instax mini. I've got one and it looks exactly like the 300, right down to the little dimple on the shutter release.

Note that Polaroid has marketed Fuji's Instax film before, as the Polaroid Mio. The Mio camera itself was shaped a little differently from Fuji's instax camera. Now all they've done is painted it a different color.

I'm all for it, whatever it is. I think the Instax is a fun camera, and fun film of good quality. Too bad Polaroid doesn't have the marketing punch it once did. Does anyone remember "Meet the Swinger, the Polaroid Swinger". I was probably 5 years old when that campaign ran and I can still sing it.

What kind of catchy jingle can you come up with around the "Polaroid 300"? Nothing, really. "Instax" isn't much better.

7. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Perhaps this cross-marketing agreement will lead to Fujifilm making "Polaroid" 600 color packs?

8. patois

patois Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The swinger ads were beyond classic. I think of my swinger and it get the song stuck in my head. They have lady ga ga now and she can hopefully get people to care about Polaroid again. The impossible project is a different story and I really think they've shot themselves in the foot.

9. pdexposures

pdexposures Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My wife and I have a small collection of Polaroid instant cameras, including a Swinger Model 20. I've been considering getting a Fuji Instax for happy snaps. :smile:

11. fotophox

fotophox Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This. . .is. . . POLAROID!!! [kicks you into the hole]

12. aloysiuscarl

aloysiuscarl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just picked up the new Polaroid 300 and film. Interesting. That's about all I can say about it at this point. Anyone have any insights, like what ISO it is,I have a Polaroid that takes that card sized film. A few years ago in the USA, I bought some disposable Polaroid cameras that took the same film, and they were great fun.

13. pdexposures

pdexposures Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its 800 speed.

A few years back Polaroid made the "Mio" but didn't do much with it. For the most part it is the same camera as the 300 and Instax Mini 7s.

Then there was also the iZone that used a film the size of 35mm negatives. That came out around 2000 or 2001 if I remember correctly.

14. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format