New Portra 160 and 400, no more 100T

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Helen B, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After the recent improvements to Portra 800, Kodak have announced improvements to the 160 and 400 films in the Portra range, but they will be dropping 100T.

Link

Best,
    Helen

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The big question is: What sizes will they be offering these films in? Any sheet sizes? 220?

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So this is real. When I saw the announcement yesterday I figured somebody had sent out an old press release -) I couldn't find any info on the Kodak website when I went to look yesterday.

4. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tech Sheet 4040(Sept 2006) says

160NC: 35mm,120,220,long rolls and sheets(no size mentioned)
    160VC: 35mm,120,220, sheets, readyloads.
    400NC: 35mm,120,220,long rolls and sheets
    400VC: 35mm,120,220.
    800 :35mm, 120,220

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    but, how much will it cost?

I was browsing the kodak web site to read about the new Portra. I noticed a mail-in rebate on the new Portra products -- "purchase five rolls or a five-pack..." to receive a $20 rebate. The address to send it to is "$20 Off Portra wth Purchase of $125" So how much is this film going to cost... $25 per roll? :confused:

6. mrwestphal

mrwestphal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brian, I double checked the coupon and they are saying "buy $125 or more worth" in the timeframe stated and received the $20.00 rebate.
    wooh, ya scared me a bit there for a moment!

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have to re-read it myself. It was getting late (6 PM) and my comprehension skills might have been on the decline!

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, I have 160 rolls of the stuff (35 and 120, NC and VC) and preliminary results show it's good stuff that scans well. Lots more shooting to do yet, though...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

9. ccbob

ccbob Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a nice shot in the arm for those of us still shooting film. Good to see Kodak is still in the game.

10. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

I hope this shuts up the a-holes that insist that Kodak is getting out of the film business. Portra is, in my mind, the premiere color negative line out there. It is tops for skintones. Fuji makes great film, don't get me wrong, but for the caucasian skin tones I tend to shoot in weddings, the Kodak product gives me more pleasing results. It's going to be great having 1/2 of the grain now that they have incorporated their double electron sensitization into the process. Kodak's twisted thinking is that the 160NC they have out now is probably finer-grained than the original 100T, so they axed 100T. That sort of reasoning is kinda silly, like when they got rid of their 800 speed movie stock because the old version was grainier than their new 500 speed pushed 1 stop, but so is their philosophy to not tell you that something has been discontinued until they've almost run out of it. For all we know they could have stopped making Kodachrome a year ago, and they'll only tell us when they have almost none left.

Regards,

~Karl Borowski

11. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well,

I have most of a box of (expired) Portra 100T in 4x5 that I probably won't use should anyone start getting nervous.

Matt

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You mean like Kodak's CEO. I don't suppose even the gloom and doom a-holes had any basis for such assertions until Kodak gave them the ammunition. It's called giving the faithful despair and the sceptical sustenance.

No way to run a business. The statement about turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind.

pentaxuser