New RF

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Nikon Collector, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have more than a dozen SLR's, but I've always kept a RF for a pocket camera. I currently have a Kodak Retina IIIc and a Zeiss Ikon Contessa LK. Reading posts on here I've gotten an urge for a RF with interchangable lenses. I've ordered a FED5c with Industar 61 LD, caint wait for it to arrive. Anything I shud immediately check out on it b4 using?

2. ww12345

ww12345 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Shutter curtains come to mind. Run a roll through it and check the negatives for light leaks or shutter pinholes before actually trusting it to a project you care about.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to try to visually check the focus - focus it on something a few feet away and check the rangefinder to see what it says.

3. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wellllll, they're Russian cameras. If they work properly when you get them, immediately go to Vegas and make some long shot bets because you have really good luck going on right now. But I expect you'll find some, or all, of ww12345's topics to entertain you :smile:

4. ww12345

ww12345 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess it depends on where you bought it, too. If from a reputable site like FEDKA, your odds just went up. :smile:

5. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Make sure the lens is clean. Image quality on my FED 3b went way up when I cleaned the glass on the Industar. Also, relubing the focus helical made it a lot easier and faster to use.

Watch for the eye piece on the viewfinder window (at least it is on the 3b) is knurled and really likes to scratch lenses on glasses.

6. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    yes down load user manual
    and google

FED problem
    FED shutter
    FED rangefinder
    etc.