NEW SERIES: "PHOTO FINISH", Starts Thursday 14th June, 2012, ABC1 (Australia)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Poisson Du Jour, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Commencing Thursday 14th June, a contemporary look at the creative, documentary, artistic, technical, practical and aesthetic craft of photography, from digital, large format, oddball, offbeat, antique, home made, 35mm, medium format, location, studio... the lot! The trailer showed a few photographers 'out there' in the wild photographing nature, additional to modelling, documentary, collecting and looking at film and digital. We'll probably see a balanced side of the craft, it not something evidently skewed to "new technology". :smile:

2. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just saw the ad for that! Can someone record it PLEASE!!! I'll be OS for six weeks from Sunday :-(

Marc!!

3. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Depends, Marc, do you guys have a VHS player there? If so, I'd be happy to record it for you.

4. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tivo is set

5. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Molli!! VHS? Crikey!! (but yes, as an aficionado of older analogue stuff, I do, and thanks so much)...

Marc!

6. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, and then Hoffy jumps in with talk of Tivo and I'm left sitting here looking at my 1987 TV with it's $40 set top box attached :tongue:

Any idea how long the series runs for?

7. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting that Poisson du Jour's description varies so much from the official description:

Might be interesting if it turns out to be something more than just another dreadful competition reality show. Of course, I'll never see it...there's something like 8000 miles of water between me and the transmitters.

--Greg

8. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I don't necessarily agree with the current way they do talent shows, why shouldn't amateur photographers have their moment in the sun as well?

But, if they have spinning chairs, I'm turning off.... :wink:

9. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suppose that we can always hope for a DVD release!

Mike

10. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SO, who watched it?

What did you think?

From what I have read on other forums, I think I may be in the minority - I quite enjoyed it - I think there was a bit of empathy there from me!

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I squirmed and cringed in my chair, what with letter rank beginners who have never seen a studio set up, much less wrangle a Hasselblad H2 and come up with images to impress upon a professional curator (Centre for Contemporary Photography). That said, each individual came up with credible images given their very basic skill set. Adjusting lighting was painfully drawn out: given it is all digital, lighting is often tested via LiveView. This did not occur to the photographers, but they did see how lighting set up came out after the image capture, and learned a bit from that. I quite liked the images of Dick Smith and Vince Colissimo. If they had, say, 10 years' experience as photographers, the results would have shown an exponential increase in punch and pizazz, additional to speed, composure and improving with camera handling (they were all pretty jittery and nervous). As it went, it's all good, but still bizarre throwing them in at the deep end and expecting to come up with the goods. A credit to them that they did with persistence and consideration of process.

12. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just watched it and did enjoy. Definitely better than watching Home and Away.

For those wanting to, you can watch online here

13. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have commented on a few forums, so I will do a bit of a cut and paste (just a note, this reply is in response to quite a few who thought the show and contestants were poor - there is certainly a lot of "Pffft, should have chosen me, I'm much better" type comments on the net as well as a lot of people suggesting it lacked technical info):

Considering how much out of their depth both the guy from Adelaide and the Mum from the Central Coast were, I thought they did a stand up job in the end. As I said above, a lot of it came down to how they dealt with the subjects.

Cheers

14. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On a side note - it does appear that the host Andrew Günsberg is quite an enthusiast himself.

Looking through his stream, he does own camera's such as a Graflex Graphic View II

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewgunsberg/

He's actually gone up a level in my book!

15. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    btw....for those not in Austrailia the ABC network has it on their website yeah!